Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the SuperATV high clearance front A-arms before the General Deluxe arrived at the dealer...wanted to have 'em!

Installation was no big deal, but the bushings didn't look very good.

Made contact with Super Dave's Bushings and ordered a set for the front A-arms. Hmmm...got the wrong ones, the General bushings are 0.830" diameter. Returned them and Dave called me, sure enough I got the wrong ones...and they do make a set that works...so ordered it!

Got around to installing them yesterday.

A few notes: I got the front tires off the ground, set the front on jack stands for safety, removed the front tires, removed the lower shock bolt and tied the shock up out of the way with a 24" Gear Tie.

Set another jack stand under the hub to support it at an adjustable height, so that it doesn't droop too far.

Took the top A-arm bolts out, lifted the top A-arm out of the brackets.

The bushing came out easily, several show signs of rotating in the A-arm. Cleaned out the A-arm tube. Put a thin coat of grease on the outside of the Super Daves bushing...and man it took some squeezing to get them in! Put coat of grease on the steel tube and they went in nice and snug. Put the A-arm back in the frame brackets installed the bolts and torqued.

Removed the lower A-arm bolts, lifted the A-arm out of the bracket, and did the same installing the Super Daves bushings.

Haven't driven the General with the new bushings yet...but seems a good bit...I don't know tighter, snugger, but seeing the wear on the original bushings I think this may be the little bit of noise I was hearing out of the front.

Time will tell and I'll post what I learn. Just thought I would post that there are bushing kits available.

Pirate

·
Registered
219 Posts
More than likely going with these bushings for my general. The cost I believe is $129. Does that include every bushing for my front a arms?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you get the bushings and new steel tubes for the long and short bolts on the upper A-arm and the bushings and new steel tubes for the two long bolts on the lower A-arm.

Have some good grease handy to put on the bushing OD to help get them in the A-arm...they are a tight fit! Put some grease on the OD of the steel tubes when you slide them in.

As Dave says in the instructions, it doesn't take much grease, but you do want them to have some. You will be surprised that your current bushings might take 8-10 pumps of a pistol grip grease gun. Put Daves bushings in, an maybe 2 pumps? Dave warns not to pump too much or you might over pressure the grease gun hose and split it. I've had Dave's bushing in my RZR 800. all the way around, for three riding seasons...and none will take more than two pumps of grease. Very quiet, very smooth and no looseness.

Wonder what he uses for material...excellent stuff tho!!

Pirate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts