Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2019 G$ EPS, white
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, upgrading some parts; a arms, axles and 4" portals. Rears were simple enough. Front axles stuck in diff, outer shafts pulled from cups. No problem, pull the diff. Not! Havent been able to pull diff out with axle cups still in. Anyone experience this? Winch and plate removed, nothing left to remove. Cant seem to maneuver this thing out.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Get a big washer that fits into the cup and a couple good pair of vice grips, piece of coil rod or all thread and make a hillbilly slide hammer ( or use yours if you have one) insert washer with hammer attached into the cup attached your vise grips and your off to the races….Couple hits and it will pop out….

· Registered
2019 G$ EPS, white
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Way past that. Slide hammer, cup removal tools, prybar, straps, hammers lots of Aerokroil penetrating oil. No leverage i could try would break them free. The driveshaft yoke to input shaft was also froze up but managed to get it off.

· Registered
2019 G$ EPS, white
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i retried all the methods normally prescribed, and some unconventional ones. Cups still stuck, but with a little trimming, diff is out cups and all. Surely internal damage has occurred, ordered SATV replacement.

· Registered
2019 G$ EPS, white
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Input shaft seal damaged as a bonus! Machine taken care of rinsed off frequently and sprayed lube on most parts, bolts and all. Alot of corrosion for time and use. Ill share pics tomorrow

· Registered
2022 XP4 TE
525 Posts
Staying tuned for pics, your case is certainly abnormal. Wonder if humidity played a role, perhaps couples with mud riding. I don't have either and never an issue popping axles out first or second tug.

· Registered
5,900 Posts
Wondering the same thing if lots of mud usage.

· Vendor
542 Posts
Suuucks buddy. Happens to just about everybody...sometimes a few times. Slide hammer is the best option. Soak it in PB Blaster...over and over...and over night. They'll end up coming out at some point. When you put your new axles back in the diff, make sure to always put anti-seize on the splines to make sure it doesn't happen again.

· Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
5,022 Posts
Well you have me feeling dumb this morning. Axle cups? What are those?
Like it or not, water does get into the splines on the axle shaft and into the differential output hubs. Might I ask if there was some rust or corrosion like material on the splines?
I always put a thick coat of Nickel based anti-seize on the axle splines before reassembly...just to help keep moisture out and keep corrosion from occurring.

The Hilliard diff removal calls for raising the front of the diff, sort of a clockwise movement, to uncouple the pinion shaft and the forward driveshaft section.
With the front end of the diff kept in the rotated up location, begin turning the front of the diff towards the Passenger side. Rotate until the pinion shaft points towards you and
then lift the diff out the Driver side of the chassis.

Just curious,
Pirate

· Registered
2019 G$ EPS, white
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So been busy at work, but heres the update. Got a complete SATV diff to put in and then finish bolt up of the boxes. Will get a few underside pics for corrosion opinions. Pirate, when trying to remove axles for replacement, the inner joint inside the 'cup' that splines to the diff wont budge from the diff. The axles pulled out of those 'cups'. Its like they are welded in. I dont know if cup is the correct terminology but thats what came to mind after pulling axles out of them. I have diff out but i believe i damaged internally. It sounds and feels rough when turned by hand. It took some abuse trying to get axles out, alot. I heard some others used cum alongs, winches, and other mechanical advantages and not mention damage , Sure it can be be rebuilt for a spare. Ill put up a few pics tonight for yall.
On a side note, put new pads on the brakes, and they are tight, like a 1/16" between them. Hope i can get them over the rotors!

· Registered
1,265 Posts
I always put a thick coat of Nickel based anti-seize on the axle splines before reassembly...just to help keep moisture out and keep corrosion from occurring.
Is there a difference between nickel based and silver based? I have always used Loctite 8150, which is silver based.

· Registered
402 Posts
Whoa, that's a lot of rust! It's hard to rinse these things off after a trip to the beach. Even if you don't drive in the water, which you should never do anyway, the sand is full of salt. I've been driving on the beaches here for over 50 years and I've had and got the rust buckets to show for it. You're right about cheaper material though. Going to corrode much quicker.

· Registered
5,900 Posts
Looks like it was parked in a swamp the way everything is rusted up on it.

· Registered
2019 G$ EPS, white
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, the only mud riding we did was on our property in Crosby. Gumbo base with a little water here and there. At the time, we had some oak trees that had fell over in a few places laying in the water. Maybe the trees provided enough acidity to accelerate corrosion? Alot of people ride in mud and water frequently but not alot of feedback about rusting. Overall, been a great reliable machine. No failures, just upgrading things for strength and reliability. I hope it stays that way. Carrier bearings and driveshaft are probably next on the list. We do have that wobbling rear driveshaft connection. It shouldnt have that much play but it does.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts