Polaris General Forum banner

Stock Or New Tires?

54K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  Johnny 7 
#1 ·
Since this was brought up in another thread, just wanted to know if anyone is going to change out the stock tires for another set.

Here's the stock tires that each trim comes with.

POLARIS GENERAL™ 1000 EPS Red
Front Tires 27 x 9-12; AT489 II
Rear Tires 27 x 11-12; AT489 II
Wheels Stamped Steel

POLARIS GENERAL™ 1000 EPS Blue
Front Tires 27 x 9-14; Dirt Commander (8-Ply)
Rear Tires 27 x 11-14; Dirt Commander (8-Ply)
Wheels Cast Aluminum

POLARIS GENERAL™ 1000 EPS DELUXE
Front Tires 27 x 9-14; Dirt Commander (8-Ply)
Rear Tires 27 x 11-14; Dirt Commander (8-Ply)
Wheels Cast Aluminum

#3 ·
Actually thought the Deluxe version would get it's own set of tires as it is the top trim. A set of Dirt Commander as stock is fine and I don't really see a need for a new set of tires until it wears out or if you decide to tide the General into some deep mud. Think there's special tires for that situation.

#4 ·
Was actually looking at a set of Kenda Bear Claw Radial Tire (8 Ply) and it's supposed to be self cleaning. But that's only if I get the base model. Dirt Commanders are great as stock tires in the other 2 models so I don't see a need to change them out.

#8 ·
Just installed 30"MTC tires on 14"M12 Diesel wheels. The fit seems good.
What is the clearance in the wheel well like and what about the ride height? I'm guessing that it should be around 13 1/12" now. I was looking to get some 29" Bighorns and maybe a set of bead locks. I was also looking to get a 2"-3" lift when Racertech comes out with one ,but take some of the shock preload out to soften the ride and have at least 14" of clearance.

#10 ·
Tire and Wheel fit

Dealer put on some Pro Armor Crawler XG's 30-10-14's
on MSA F2 wheels they had mounted up for another project to check the fit for my new General. The 30's seem to have plenty of clearance. I am not sold on the XG's completely and am researching tire and wheels I want to go with before I pick it up this week. Anyone seen or tried a set of Tensor Regulators or Motohammers on for fit yet? Curious if the possible wider stance of the Tensor will be a problem up front or if the stance is similar to the XG's pictured.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Think we'll try 30x10x14 don't think I will go 15" right now., probably going to be installing some on for fit Fri at the Dealership if they come in....
Hopefully if I like the setup I can get it home this weekend now.

Think I am going with the MSA M26 Vibe Dark Tint wheels, I really want the M21 Beadlocks but can't justify the cost for the use I will do.

#15 ·
Im a big fan of same size tires all the way around - makes rotating real nice and seriously prolongs tire life. I had 28X10X14 on my Commanders and they were perfect.

The stock tires I think are fine but if/when I get a General ill be doing the same as I did on the Commander.

#27 ·
Welcome to the site Bman01!

Reactions: Trapper
#28 ·
I am running 30 inch No Limit tires and wheels, with no problems,no lift,no pre-load.

#29 ·
Ordered 29" dirt commanders. The dealer didn't show a listing for an 11 only for a 9, so he ordered all 4 in 9". I showed him the part number from their website and he can order it from his supplier. The parts guy thinks I should keep them all at 9 so I can rotate them and get more life out of them. Wondering what the benefits and drawbacks are in doing that?

#30 ·
You know, I've had a set of Pitbull Rockers, 27.5" tall, on my RZR 800 with a hot rod drive train, for the last four riding seasons and they still have more than half the tread block depth on 'em.

I've got a little over 1500 miles on my 2016 General Deluxe with the 14" Dirt Commanders...and you know...I think these tires are already half gone!

So when they're gone...I'm going to the new Pitbull Growler that's 8PR and DOT approved!

Pirate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.