Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any specs on the stock battery. For you guys that have your General already, what is the size/rating of the stock battery?

Is there any space available for a dual battery setup?

·
Registered
716 Posts
There's enough space under the driver's seat to probably mount 2.5 stock sized batteries! The problem is limited access to this area and I can't say offhand if the extra space has the same support under it as the main battery tray.
I'm considering cutting an access hole in the panel between the seat and the floor (right behind your calves while in the seat) so I can store extra gear in there in a plastic tote with a tie-down of some sort.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok so I got a chance to take a look under the seat today.Yes Cheeto, Definitely plenty of room. BUT, there is nooo support there. The only thing there is the skid plate. It will be easy to make a bracket to mount a battery though. You can remove a few bolts and one plastic rivet and get the rocker panel off, and have plenty of access to do the work. I don't have time to do it this week and don't have a secondary batter yet either. I'm thinking of ordering an Odyssey PC925 for the battery. I'm going to get the battery before making any mounting surfaces. Links below on what I plan on using.

Hopefully all this will work. Never done this before. May be overlooking something.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow, that isolator kit looks like overkill. Only question I have is will the stock alternator have enough juice to maintain 2 batteries? Guess it wouldn't be to big a deal to wire up a maintainer to charge it but would be kind of a pain. I am planning on running a bigger single but I may not be using the amps you guys plan on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, that isolator kit looks like overkill. Only question I have is will the stock alternator have enough juice to maintain 2 batteries? Guess it wouldn't be to big a deal to wire up a maintainer to charge it but would be kind of a pain. I am planning on running a bigger single but I may not be using the amps you guys plan on.
Overkill??? Oh I'm sure it is lol! But I've seen guys with a very similar setup on their RZR's. So I would think it would work. I plan on wiring the stereo so it can run without the key on, like a lot of others on here have done. And probably a light. Just want to have the peace of mind knowing my wife will leave the stereo going and still be able to start up and head home
Yes, if I just left it alone I wouldn't have to worry about that. But I've never been very good at leaving things alone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think a dual battery setup makes sense for running the stereo and maybe work light led or so on the second battery. If anyone got an easy install to share, I'd be more than happy to copy it ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has any body put in a second batt yet? Would love some pics as I am going to add one soon or do I get to be the guinea pig?

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a kit I bought for the dual battery for a rzr. I didn't install into my razor so I'm gonna put it in my general. Thanks for the info so far on the area.... I will post pics here as I install.......but I have to piv
Ck up my new ride first.......tomorrow morning and I'll have my new general home! Woo Hoo.....then add options rite away......wife is getting mad already. ?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The True UTV smart battery isolator is the way to go. There are several different kits you can buy. This one seems like the top of the line. I installed the next level down on my RZR 800 and it works great! Here's a link: True Smart Battery Isolator (SBI) | 12 Volt Battery Isolator | Relay or Switch :

If you move up to the Factory UTV 1/2" UHMW skid plate. You can probably mount the second battery to it with no problems and be able to get to it through the access panel under the driver's seat.

Here's a link to the XP-3 Mircro Start: https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-3/

The XP-3 is awesome! In Moab two years ago had a Tru Gel battery dying on me. Borrowed an XP-3 from a friend...used the jumper cable with clips on the battery...started instantly!! So have been carrying one with me since.

I did a complete write up on my dual battery install on the RZRForums: Pirate's dual battery project - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

Just some handy info!!

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,144 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts