Polaris General Forum banner

Steering is acting like no power steering

29K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  lugbolt 
#1 ·
Was out riding the trails, some parts pretty bumpy. My steering seems hard to turn. Not as easy as before the day started. Usually I can let the steering slide through my hand when coming out of a turn or drift. But now it stays turned. Anyone experiencing this, could something be wrong with the eps motor. Everything is powered, you can feel steering tension release when you turn key on, but it is still tight.

#4 ·
Our Ranger power steering turned with one finger.
Our 17 General did not turn very easy.
Our new 21 General XP turns way better than the 17 ever did, but still not as easy of our old Ranger.

#6 ·
If you leave the key on too long before starting it the power steering won't work. Have to turn the key off and then start it up and it will work.
Also if you 2 foot the gas and the brake at the same time, like crawling over a tree or a rock, it can kick out the power steering then also. Same thing, shut it off and then restart and it should work.

#7 ·
Im having the same issue. My power steering on my 22 General Deluxe RC is so hard to steer. Aftermarket tires but stock size. When you turn the switch on the steering wheel twitches but then nothing. No EPS light on. Steers very hard compared to my 18 RZR S. Its in the shop now. Gonna have it checked out. Ill let everyone know what they say. 40 miles on it hasnt worked since I bought it. Couldnt find a way to adjust it like the Sportsmans have. Power steering unit is the same as the XP so no real upgrade there.

#9 ·
So the dealer performed the steering wheel recall on my General. They said the bushing behind the steering wheel was in crooked, so they straightened it and it should be good now. What?? Did u drive it? It steers hard as ****. Finally got to compair it to an XP General and the XP steers awesome. They told me 2 different machines they arent gonna steer the same. I call Bullshit. So it still isnt fixed.

#13 ·
So the dealer performed the steering wheel recall on my General. They said the bushing behind the steering wheel was in crooked, so they straightened it and it should be good now. What?? Did u drive it? It steers hard as ****. Finally got to compair it to an XP General and the XP steers awesome. They told me 2 different machines they arent gonna steer the same. I call Bullshit. So it still isnt fixed.
Sheesh. I’m gonna pull my wheel tomorrow and check that the bushing is “straight” before taking it in. The dealership I found it through is 2.5hrs away, so I’d rather not tow it that far if it’s a simple fix. The closer dealership said they’ll put me in line for warranty work, but couldn’t even give me a timeframe they’re so backed up. I can steer my 4 seater with my pinky finger. The 2 seater should be even easier.

#10 ·
I thought I read somewhere where the XP steering is a different powered unit than the plain General.
Could be a senior moment but I thought I read this sometime back.

#16 ·
Steering wheel was crazy easy to remove. Literally did it with a ratchet steering wheel came right off. I started it up and was able to turn the wheel by simply turning the shaft with my hand. Put the bushing back in to tighten it up, and it was almost unsteerable after that. Loosened it up to about 15lbs and it steers pretty good, but still not as good as my 4 seater. Took the bushing off and it steers like a dream…

#17 ·
I have a 2018 turbo xp. I hit a big jump and landed hard. After that my power steering felt like it wasn't working. After a little investigating I determined the eps was working. After some more troubleshooting I found that the universal joint on the steering shaft slid farther onto the steering shift. The universal has a pinch bolt on it. I loosened the bolt and it made a pop and slid back off a bit. My steering was free. Basically it put preload on the bearing under the steering wheel making it steer hard. The weight of my arms when landing the jump compacted the steering shaft. Hopefully my experience will help someone here.

#19 ·
it's an old thread but I'm gonna add my $.01 for those that still have issues with steering.

On the General, grab your T40 torx bit and remove the EPS cover under the steering wheel (kind of where your knees are). Two T40 screws. Now grab a 13mm socket and a 13mm wrench, LOOSEN (do not remove) the pinch bolts in the steering shaft. Loosen each of them. Steer the wheel back and forth just a little maybe 1/8 turn either way. Now tighten up the pinch bolts to the specified torque-I "THINK" it's 15 lb-ft. Put the cover back on and try to see if it works normally. Reason this is an issue is that sometimes there is a bind in the steering shafts, and loosening the pinch bolts and then re-tightening removes the bind.

If it does not steer any easier, you'll want to check the ball joints on the front end. If they wear and get stiff, it'll make it hard to steer. Similarly, the rack and pinion-if you get a bunch of dirt/water in it, it can get stiff too. Lastly the steering shaft u-joints can get stiff over time.

#22 ·
Many thanks to all who posted in this thread on how to solve this issue. This is what makes forums so valuable.

I just purchased a used 2022 General XP 1000 that had very light steering on Friday when I purchased it and loaded it out. Individual sale. I dropped it off at the dealership on the way home to get the steering recall taken care of (lucky perfect timing). When I picked it up Saturday afternoon, the steering was very heavy, almost like no ps. Service manager said he did not feel anything out of the ordinary. Figured I would take it home and get it figured out myself.

Thanks to the replies on this thread that said to reset the torque on the steering wheel and the steering shaft clamp. It now steers softer and easier than the RZR that I have.

After resetting the torque on the steering wheel nut, there was maybe some lighter steering, but not much. When I loosened the pinch bolt at the EPS input shaft, the driveshaft "Popped" loudly and the steering became light as a feather. Not sure what put it in such a bind but that was the cause of the issue. The wife and I are really impressed with the machine. Now with the steering fixed, it's a pleasure to drive.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Time to do research on farkles and get it outfitted the way we want it. Glass for starters!