Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Cant see it being a major difference, buy premium here at home, elevation of 2000', put it in my sled which is a much higher performance motor ( 170hp 2 stroke 800) and pack jerry cans full for the trip to the mountains over 500 miles away in a different privince, ride at 7-9000' while there, no issues. I know they have different fuel blends for seasons but ive never heard of different blends for elevation, worked at gas plants and refineries, also have oil and gas college education and we never once learned about elevation differences in blends of fuel. Only for different climates or season changes, essentially the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I hear you, not sure how they do it up there. In my area we are at 4000ft and the blends are all different where we ship to and that is based on the specs that those cities require. There can be a different RVP spec as well as octane for each grade. In my city, the low octane is 86 and you can go 60 miles into New Mexico and their low grade is 87. Just sharing what I know about this market!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well guys, i unplugged each fuel injector and found out that the driver side is not working electrically. Took the plug from passenger side and plugged it into the drivers side injector and it worked. I called "UNCLE" and made an appt next Tuesday to have it put on a computer for diagnosis at the dealers. Thanks to all who responded!!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Agree'd, I can remember riding two strokes as a kid and just changing out the spark plug(hotter/colder) to adjust for altitude rather than re-jet the carb. But back in those days, vapor locking in vehicles that had a long run from the gas tank were a big issue. I suppose putting the fuel pump in the tank contributed to that problem going away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hear you, not sure how they do it up there. In my area we are at 4000ft and the blends are all different where we ship to and that is based on the specs that those cities require. There can be a different RVP spec as well as octane for each grade. In my city, the low octane is 86 and you can go 60 miles into New Mexico and their low grade is 87. Just sharing what I know about this market!
Lowering octane for high elevation i can make sense of as motors produce less power up high

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General EPS Deluxe
18 Posts
@Pirate to respond to your post regarding fuel stabilizers for your motor home and gas cans etc, up here we use the stuff called K100. Its up to a 2 year stabilizer, removes water/ condensation and provides a bit of an octane boost as well. This stuff works very well IMO. I use it between seasons every time I switch ( sleds for atvs) and somthing will be sitting for a few months and have never had an issue. If you have a product you trust like seafoam, continue use with that, but check out that K100. I use it in place of Seafoam for stabilizing and removing "junk" from the fuel.
Below is a list of features for it i pulled from their site.
-K100 S+ 2 Year Fuel Stabilizer is a 2 year fuel stabilizer that provides a +2 point octane boost
-Prevents problems with all Ethanol Blends
-Stabilizer eliminates water from the gas tank and fuel system reversing or preventing phase separation
-Revitalizes old fuel
-Encapsulates water for a complete burn eliminating ethanol phase separation
-Increase power and performance
-Cleans fuel injectors and carburetors

Regards,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Deeps,
Is this the one you use? Found it on Amazon
View attachment 68548

Thanks,

Pirate
Yes sir it is, although the bottles I buy are 16oz instead of 32 but thats the stuff!
Although, maybe check your local NAPA or similar auto parts store, they may have it in stock for a similar or less price. Amazon can be funny like that at times🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 2019 G2 is hard starting this winter, have to crank it over four or more time to get it to start. Might sit for 2-3 weeks before I take it out. For gas I've been using the gas in the tank on my toy hauler which I know is summer fuel, so maybe that's my issue. Home area is in 6-7000+ foot elevation with cold winter temps, so we do have winter gas and diesel fuels. Will get a can filled and see if that helps. Our Maverick station sells the straight 87 octane regular, it is pricier but I'm don't know that the General runs any better, but internally maybe it's better to use?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2019 G2 is hard starting this winter, have to crank it over four or more time to get it to start. Might sit for 2-3 weeks before I take it out. For gas I've been using the gas in the tank on my toy hauler which I know is summer fuel, so maybe that's my issue. Home area is in 6-7000+ foot elevation with cold winter temps, so we do have winter gas and diesel fuels. Will get a can filled and see if that helps. Our Maverick station sells the straight 87 octane regular, it is pricier but I'm don't know that the General runs any better, but internally maybe it's better to use?
I run nothing but premium, 91 octane, easier to find ethanol free 91 octane than it is to find 87 octane thats ethanol free, around here anyway. Ethanol 87 octane fuel de grades quicker than normal gas and easily turns to 85 octane or lower in a months time in atmospheric pressure. I wont run crap fuel to save 20 cents a liter. Hauled my general over 1200km home a month ago, stopped at my dads for 3 days, it was -20°celcius average temp for those 3 days, got home and it fired up in 4 cranks of the engine with premium fuel thats been in the tank since july, no issues starting for me

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If you can get straight gas ethanol free, get that. Lasts way longer and more power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cant see it being a major difference, buy premium here at home, elevation of 2000', put it in my sled which is a much higher performance motor ( 170hp 2 stroke 800) and pack jerry cans full for the trip to the mountains over 500 miles away in a different privince, ride at 7-9000' while there, no issues. I know they have different fuel blends for seasons but ive never heard of different blends for elevation, worked at gas plants and refineries, also have oil and gas college education and we never once learned about elevation differences in blends of fuel. Only for different climates or season changes, essentially the same thing.

Here is a nice site to find ethanol free gas in both the US and Canada: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Not one station handles straight gas here in Payson. Haven't for 2 years now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not one station handles straight gas here in Payson. Haven't for 2 years now.
Thats terrible, around here its tough to find straight 87 octane, but shell carries 91 ethanol free octane, and some places also have have what they call boat gas which is the same thing

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Downloaded the app, 30 miles to the nearest ethanol free gasoline.

Thing I'll try the K100, pour in enough for a full tank, then top off with gas until full. Then a short ride to get everything shaken up good!
No, not much of a ride...its 10:10 AM an still 10 degrees....

Pirate

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you can get straight gas ethanol free, get that. Lasts way longer and more power.
I can get straight 87 octane at the Maverick station here, they call it Clear Gas. I was surprised when I saw that because I thought all regulations required ethanol. When I bought my new boat with Mercury motor (four stroke) the dealer said use 91 octane and I did for a very short time. The two lakes I use are at 7000 and 8000+ ft elevation, and the motor wouldn't hardly run. Researched and talked with the local boat repair shop and was told to use regular 87 octane. After that the motor purred along with no issue at all, and even the manual said 87 octane. Don't know if the 91 would do the same in the sxs, but since mfg says 87 that what I use. I've used both 87 with ethanol and 87 without, mostly without but the last fill up in the toyhauler tank was with ethanol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Downloaded the app, 30 miles to the nearest ethanol free gasoline.

Thing I'll try the K100, pour in enough for a full tank, then top off with gas until full. Then a short ride to get everything shaken up good!
No, not much of a ride...its 10:10 AM an still 10 degrees....

Pirate
Pirate, did your local store end up having the k100? Or did you decide to order it?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
So far I've been into the NAPA store...no luck. A couple more places to check today....

Pirate

21 - 40 of 40 Posts