Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired up my General tonight and the starter solenoid stuck engaged. It just kept running after the motor started. I cycled the key to off and it stayed running. I cycled about 10 more times and pushed the brake pedal in and out and it finally stopped and seems to be okay now.

What is up with that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It happened to me the 1st time I took my '16' to a sporting clays tournament. Fried the starter, had to take it to dealer. Glad it was under warranty, bill came to $750. Have not had an issue since then.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
May not have been the solenoid but the Bendix in the starter that stuck. had you been in some mud , water, or dirt would only take something to get in the starter and bind up the Bendix.

The Bendix is the part of starter that rides back and forth on the end of the starter shaft and engages the flywheel the shaft has a sharp twist made in it A thread if you will. When turn key to start the starter is spun it forces the Bendix out and engages the flywheel and cranks the engine. when the engine starts it spins faster then the starter and when all's good spins the Bendix back down the threads and off the flywheel a little piece of sand, dirt, ice could stop it from spinning back down therefor you think the starter is still running but it is being held on because Bendix is stuck.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine just did it yesterday. I don't ride much so its been sitting. Backed it out of the enclosed trailer to get the riding mower out for the year.
Turned the key and the starter kept going until I unhooked the battery. Hooked the battery back up and it started cranking again.
Tapped on the solenoid and then hooked the battery up and all is back to normal.
/
Trying to decide if I should get a new solenoid because this one is bad or if even with a new solenoid could this happen again from sitting?
Looks like online its only a ~$30 part so probably dumb not to do it

·
Registered
264 Posts
Talked to the Polaris shop and he thought it might be the starter, something with the brushes from sitting.
I guess I'll wait and see if it happens again. Keep a combination wrench handy for a while for a quick battery cable pull!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It happened to me the 1st time I took my '16' to a sporting clays tournament. Fried the starter, had to take it to dealer. Glad it was under warranty, bill came to $750. Have not had an issue since then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts