Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have approximately 650 miles on my 17 general 2. When should or how often do I need to change spark plugs? I am getting ready for its second oil change.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My two pesos worth
  • Check plugs once a year, replace if needed
  • Change oil every 2000 miles or if it’s dirty (it’s full synthetic)
  • Everything else (front dif, tranny, coolant and brake fluid) every 100hours
  • Blow belt and clutches every trip
  • Check air filter, clean it and replace after 2000 miles
  • Wash and clean outerwears every trip
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Waaalll..good points Charlie, but I'm a little different, weird maybe?
  • Check plugs once a year, replace if needed You're looking for that nice cocoa tan on the flat face ring of the spark plug.
  • Change oil every 2000 miles or if it’s dirty (it’s full synthetic) I change mine every 50 hours, be sure to reset the interval each oil change.
  • Everything else (front dif, tranny, coolant and brake fluid) every 100hours Per Jeff Robbins, JJ and A Racing Products...if you ride with the AWD switch on, then the Hilliard diff every 10hrs
  • Blow belt and clutches every trip And if its really dusty, do it every other day.
  • Check air filter, clean it and replace after 2000 miles And have it and the under the hood inlet covered with an Outerwears sleeves. I have found an air filter element will last a riding year.
  • Wash and clean outerwears every trip Wash them in warm water with just a pinch of dish soap. Do not wring out. Do not point the faucet stream directly at the material. Just rinse it off and lay on a towel to dry. Nice to have two sets. Take one out for cleaning, put the other set in.
If you have an Outerwears sleeve over the CVT Cooling Air Inlet under the hood, wash and rinse on the same interval as the Combustion Air inlet, under the hood.

Pirate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waaalll..good points Charlie, but I'm a little different, weird maybe?
  • Check plugs once a year, replace if needed You're looking for that nice cocoa tan on the flat face ring of the spark plug.
  • Change oil every 2000 miles or if it’s dirty (it’s full synthetic) I change mine every 50 hours, be sure to reset the interval each oil change.
  • Everything else (front dif, tranny, coolant and brake fluid) every 100hours Per Jeff Robbins, JJ and A Racing Products...if you ride with the AWD switch on, then the Hilliard diff every 10hrs
  • Blow belt and clutches every trip And if its really dusty, do it every other day.
  • Check air filter, clean it and replace after 2000 miles And have it and the under the hood inlet covered with an Outerwears sleeves. I have found an air filter element will last a riding year.
  • Wash and clean outerwears every trip Wash them in warm water with just a pinch of dish soap. Do not wring out. Do not point the faucet stream directly at the material. Just rinse it off and lay on a towel to dry. Nice to have two sets. Take one out for cleaning, put the other set in.
If you have an Outerwears sleeve over the CVT Cooling Air Inlet under the hood, wash and rinse on the same interval as the Combustion Air inlet, under the hood.

Pirate
What are outerwears and where do I get them?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Someone will have the part numbers for them.
Part of the part numbers is the color of the outerwears cover that you are ordering. If any doubt call them up to get the color you want.

Reactions: Jakeamp88

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Outerwears for the General:
Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears
You need two of these for the Under the Hood combustion and CVT cooling air intakes (If you can, get four so you can rotate them for cleaning)
You can get them in different colors too!

You need this one for the Air Cleaner Element:

When you are removing the Outerwears for cleaning...be sure to wipe the Air Cleaner housing out with a wet cloth.

You'll have to remove the whole Air Cleaner Element with Outerwears to remove the Outerwears. You can use a shop-vac (small one if you got one) to suck the dust off the outside
of the element. Do not try to blow the dust out from the inside. That will damage the air cleaner element media...and cause problems of dust getting into the engine, a real NO-NO!

But do use a good flashlight to look down into the filter element. It should be a nice bright blue. If you see any tan or discolored areas...replace it!!

Put the air cleaner element Outerwears over the air filter element. Then put a very thing coat of grease on the inside of the rubber "throat" of the element that goes over the nozzle in the air cleaner box. (I use Joe Gibbs Assembly Grease, because I have a can)

Next time you service the air cleaner pull the element/Outerwears and set on the bench. Hopefully you will find a bit of the grease on the nozzle. Dampen the corner of a rag (terry cloth towel) with carb cleaner and wipe the grease out of the air cleaner nozzle and the air filter element throat.

Just how I do things...

Pirate

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hmmmmm
My service manual for my 2017 Colorado says to check my spark plugs every 100,000 miles and replace if needed hmmmmm

Ever wonder why cars of today can go well over 100,000 miles? Cars from 1900 probably up to the 90’s were used up at 100,000 miles. What changed? Oil
The Polaris full synthetic is easily good for 10,000 miles just like my Mobile One in my Colorado.

My two pesos worth
I change all my stuff because I’m retired and bored but if I was still working I doubt I’d be so diligent.
Also, per Dr Pirate we need to jumpstart the economy so get out there and BUY stuff!!!!!!
And if your wifey questions your purchases tell her “It’s what the Doctor ordered”

Works for me!
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yep I told my wifey the Doctor ordered me to buy the following for July
  • Dalton clutch kit
  • XP 1000 primary clutch
  • Razorback belt temperature gauge
  • Polaris complete fluids replacements
And how are you going to do this work? Yes my friend....... new tools!!!!!!!
  • New impact sockets (some POS permanently borrowed mine back in the states)
  • New hex head socket set
  • All the Hunterworks springy thingy and clutch removal tool
And the biggest thing is they’ve finally got beer again in Mexico. Got to have a few while working so hard

All kidding aside, I’ve got the Magic Bus all thorn down, inspected and back together. It’s in pretty good shape with usual “tighten this and tighten that”
Got to go, my dogs just told me it’s time for my nap 💤

Life’s good
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Hmmm....I don't see a full set of the Sandcraft drain plugs on your list Charlie. The will sure save you time and keep you from ruining a Polaris drain plug...and for $99 for a complete set... And they could be considered a tool..then your wifey, yeah BOSS, will think they are a necessity...bingo!!!

Pirate, uhhhh..Dr.Pirate

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I just ordered these drain and fill plugs from Sandcraft. They come 5 in a kit now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just ordered these drain and fill plugs from Sandcraft. They come 5 in a kit now.

I ordered them yesterday also, I bet Sandcraft is wondering what up...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts