Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on purchasing a matching wheel and tire for my 2020 General XP. Then I started looking at the prices and they are steep! Furthermore, the front tire has a different tread than the rear and is more expensive. Would you still recommend I buy a matching spare (for looks) and flip a coin about front vs. rear tire. Or do most people buy cheaper generic wheels and tires for spares?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've never carried a spare, 2008 to 2020, and never plan to. I do carry a very good tire repair kit. let's see.
I purchased a 42 ft Toyhauler that came with Nitrogen filled tires. So to handle any emergencies I purchased one of these:

Well, Nitrogen in trailer tires soon made no sense. So I converted it to a "tire repair" cylinder.

PowerTank sells a bracket that is made to hold this size cylinder. And it's now bolted to the Polaris Cargo Box in the bed.
PowerTank sells a complete regulator and hose set up for this size and this pressure cylinder.

I carry the standard plug kit. But went to a bicycle shop and bought 10 of the small tubes of cement that are used with the plugs.
I also purchased a Stop N Go tire repair kit that comes with a small compressor...have never tried it.

As I was told at the General Air store...this cylinder will probably fill a couple hundred tires to 8 psi which is what I run all the time.

Yup been involved in a Jeep 42" tire with a large tear in the sidewall. 17 plugs and plenty of glue...and it lasted the last three days of the Easter Jeep Safari. So I know I can do that with a General tire!!

Now if I could lay my hands on some of the vulcanizing patches I used as a kid on bicycle tires....

Just my way of doing things.

Pirate

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was planning on purchasing a matching wheel and tire for my 2020 General XP. Then I started looking at the prices and they are steep! Furthermore, the front tire has a different tread than the rear and is more expensive. Would you still recommend I buy a matching spare (for looks) and flip a coin about front vs. rear tire. Or do most people buy cheaper generic wheels and tires for spares?
I carry a good used spare the same size, tread pattern is not important. I found a take off wheel from a RZR that fit the bill for a spare. My .02

·
Registered
770 Posts
I bought a steel rim and used Kanati Mongrel to use as a spare. Don't care what it is as long as it can get me out.

Like @Pirate I do carry a complete tire repair kit, but here in the WV and TN mountains, you can sometimes rip one open to the point of it not being repairable. Plus I can swap a tire in 10 minutes and not hold up a group ride.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I carry the standard plug kit. But went to a bicycle shop and bought 10 of the small tubes of cement that are used with the plugs.
I bought a small butane torch off Amazon. Put a plug in and goop the cement on and hit it with the torch and you have a nice repair.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was going to match my Method wheels for the spare. Than I figured might as well just buy a black steel wheel and save the money for other crack, er I mean accessories. Did go the same Tensor as the rest though. IF I had not sold my OEM wheel and tires I would have just kept one of those.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a cheaper generic wheel and tire, the stock lug nuts will not fit into the generic wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts