Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on purchasing a matching wheel and tire for my 2020 General XP. Then I started looking at the prices and they are steep! Furthermore, the front tire has a different tread than the rear and is more expensive. Would you still recommend I buy a matching spare (for looks) and flip a coin about front vs. rear tire. Or do most people buy cheaper generic wheels and tires for spares?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I've never carried a spare, 2008 to 2020, and never plan to. I do carry a very good tire repair kit. let's see.
I purchased a 42 ft Toyhauler that came with Nitrogen filled tires. So to handle any emergencies I purchased one of these:

Well, Nitrogen in trailer tires soon made no sense. So I converted it to a "tire repair" cylinder.

PowerTank sells a bracket that is made to hold this size cylinder. And it's now bolted to the Polaris Cargo Box in the bed.
PowerTank sells a complete regulator and hose set up for this size and this pressure cylinder.

I carry the standard plug kit. But went to a bicycle shop and bought 10 of the small tubes of cement that are used with the plugs.
I also purchased a Stop N Go tire repair kit that comes with a small compressor...have never tried it.

As I was told at the General Air store...this cylinder will probably fill a couple hundred tires to 8 psi which is what I run all the time.

Yup been involved in a Jeep 42" tire with a large tear in the sidewall. 17 plugs and plenty of glue...and it lasted the last three days of the Easter Jeep Safari. So I know I can do that with a General tire!!

Now if I could lay my hands on some of the vulcanizing patches I used as a kid on bicycle tires....

Just my way of doing things.

Pirate

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was planning on purchasing a matching wheel and tire for my 2020 General XP. Then I started looking at the prices and they are steep! Furthermore, the front tire has a different tread than the rear and is more expensive. Would you still recommend I buy a matching spare (for looks) and flip a coin about front vs. rear tire. Or do most people buy cheaper generic wheels and tires for spares?
I carry a good used spare the same size, tread pattern is not important. I found a take off wheel from a RZR that fit the bill for a spare. My .02

·
Registered
985 Posts
I bought a steel rim and used Kanati Mongrel to use as a spare. Don't care what it is as long as it can get me out.

Like @Pirate I do carry a complete tire repair kit, but here in the WV and TN mountains, you can sometimes rip one open to the point of it not being repairable. Plus I can swap a tire in 10 minutes and not hold up a group ride.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I carry the standard plug kit. But went to a bicycle shop and bought 10 of the small tubes of cement that are used with the plugs.
I bought a small butane torch off Amazon. Put a plug in and goop the cement on and hit it with the torch and you have a nice repair.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was going to match my Method wheels for the spare. Than I figured might as well just buy a black steel wheel and save the money for other crack, er I mean accessories. Did go the same Tensor as the rest though. IF I had not sold my OEM wheel and tires I would have just kept one of those.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a cheaper generic wheel and tire, the stock lug nuts will not fit into the generic wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those that said they bought steel/generic wheels for a spare, where did you get them? I am having a heck of a time finding a standard steel wheel that fits my 21 xp4.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Spare or no spare????????
I think it depends on where you go. Many of you ride around in controlled off road parks so a flat or torn tire is a pain in the (fill in the blank) to get back to your trailer or campsite, but it’s doable. Down here if you ruin a tire you got problems if you don’t have the following:
  1. A full size tire and wheel ( I run the same size tires and wheels on all four wheels and carry a spare the same size.
  2. Make sure you have the tools to take a wheel off like the following: a jack, a proper lug wrench, an adequate tire plug kit, a tire sewing kit, a tire tube and an AIR COMPRESSOR or compressed air tank.
  3. You need to have the skills to sew up a gash or torn section of your tire or TIRES and carry (2) inner tubes.
  4. Beadlock wheels really make it easier to repair damaged tires because you can loosen the wheel ring and pull the tire off to sew it or plug the living (S word) out of it. (Done both)
  5. Tires, tires, tires. What more can I say!!! I highly recommend you do your research on what tire will work best for the type of terrain you mostly ride. I run Tensors and I give them an 8 out of 10, but remember I live and ride in Baja so they may not work well in Canada or Tennessee, so do your research and ask around, most folks will tell you the truth.
So in conclusion: think about where you ride and what the conditions you may encounter. Always go in a group or a buddy or two and plan and prepare for an eventual tire or tires issue. Believe me, when I flattened both front tires on my old Arctic Crap in the middle of nowhere our group got creative and I sewed up one tire, put the spare on the other and finished the ride three days later with a Ford Pinto wheel and tire mounted on the sewed tire side that I bought in a junk yard in Baja.

Cheers Baja Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts