Polaris General Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Heck of a nice view at the Nemo Flag!
Get some nice pictures there and makes some nice pics to send for Christmas Cards too.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Well gents and ladies, We did the Ditch Creek Ride today. A total of 104 miles.
It's sort of preliminary, but here is a link to my Dropbox folder which contains the Avenza Maps gpx file for the day's ride.
And a GoPro video of what the area is like.
Ditch Creek Ride

Here is a link to the website where you can find information on this ride;
DITCH CREEK 62″ RIDE/DITCH CREEK 62″ TRAIL SYSTEM

A couple of notes. There are more than a few locked gates with a green raised sort of cattle guard that I believe are 62"
wide. We had no problem with any of them.

The trails are poorly marked. Unlike other areas in the Black Hills...where every trail is marked. Here it's more like one in twenty have a trail number post. So in my video you will see us stop for a bit. That's our figuring out where we were.
To do so I used Garmin BaseCamp to plot a track from the Steel Wheel RV Park to the Ditch Creek Ride waypoint. I imported it into Avenza Maps. With it showing on my Tablet screen, go out the Mystic Hills MVUM map and traced it with an orange highlighter pen. So out on the trail we could check the two against each other and improve the accuracy of our navigation. We still made two wrong turns.

Thoughts?

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 XP4
29 Posts
Awesome. Thank you for taking the time to share all this.

Any sign of folks with carbon paper notebooks, badges and tape measures?

Looks a little damp, have they been getting decent rain out there?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
No, I left my surveyors tape at home. Did all the drawings on the Mystic Hills MVUM map.

Had a heck of a rain on Tuesday night. More than an inch of rain! Were supposed to have had heavy rain and hail last night. Storm was gathering, but local said the storm was headed North. Towards Deadwood and Rapid City. We got a few second shower and that was it.

Pleasant 54 degrees here this morning. Headed out on another ride to post!!

Pirate

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yesterday's ride is what I will call the Galena Loop. If you like to play in the rocks...this is a ride for you!
The gpx file you can download has thirty Avenza Maps "placemarks". A few are placed at specific locations on the ride. All the rest designate intersections or divides in the trail. On this ride it is very, very easy to get off the Track and get lost.
So I marked all of them.
When you get to one, on your Tablet or Phone screen, Just tap on the pin, and the description will appear. The box that appears might say "Turn Left 1" (the first left turn on the Track). Or "Turn Right on Vanocker Canyon Rd". Following the Placemark directions will keep you on the Track.
There is a large parking area where we had lunch and turned around.
The Track to the the turnaround is the rocky, fun, ride and is rust colored on the map below. The Track back to Steel Wheel is the high road. A pretty good gravel road and is blue on the map below..

and here's the link to my Dropbox folder where you can download the Tracks:
Galena Loop

I thought I took some awesome GoPro videos....only to find the lens cap was still on the camera case.
So we're going to do the trip again...and get videos...
It makes for a great day's ride, 44.6 miles total.
Here's a pic along the way...after I had taken the lens cap off!

Enjoy,
Pirate

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Senior Pirate
Nice write up. You might want to look into LeadNav for your navigation software. It’s nice because when you come up on a waypoint it talks to you, no fumbling with buttons while you’re moving and super easy to plan a route.

Sounds like you’re having a great time in SD. We just finished the Baja 500 and of course there’s controversy on who finished first. I know one thing, it sure wasn’t our truck, the hydraulic jack failed and it took Rob and the Co-driver 24 minutes to change a flat. That took him out of contention for a win.
Polaris had a great race winning four of the five race classes.

That’s it Amigo
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Pirate,
Did you see the Chinese Wall on your Galena trip?
Don't want to meet anyone coming out/in on the trail when you are going in or out.
We always kept honking our horn every minute or so just in case someone wanted to come on the same trail.
So much to see in the Black Hills with tons of trails.
Man we miss it!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Looked into Lead Nav. But it works with Routes, not Tracks. And that doesn't work with the rest of the software packages I use in my travels and documentation.
But I keep looking at new options and opportunities.
Hmmmm...Chinese wall. Not that I recall.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Today's ride was one that we did in 2020, and for which I had the original track. Uploaded to Avenza Maps and rolled!
It does duplicate some of the Galena Loop we did two days ago. This being a portion of the Camp5 trail which follows Bear Butte Creek. And all those fun boulders to play on. Not that difficult, but definitely not for those without experience.
Like the six machines in front of us. Followed them for miles. Hung back out of the dust until they took a break. Then rolled on. Our track popped on 14A, which we took in to Deadwood. Hit the carwash and back to Steel Wheel on 385.
As before I have entered Placemarks at each turn so one can stay the track. There are a few I did not mark, as it should be clear which way to go by trail condition. Here is a link to the Dropbox folder containing the Track.
Sunday June 13 2021
Here is an overview of the day's ride.

I don't have enough broadband to upload videos. So will upload them and post them when I return home.
Enjoy,
Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
605 Posts
Looks like some great trails. Definitely on my bucket list! Thanks, Pirate!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
IF I remember right, you go through Galena and hang a left and go by an old cemetery, and continue down that trail and the one that goes to the Chinese Wall goes to the left of the trail you are on. Since my stroke I might have this totally screwed up Pirate.
Some call it the Galena Chinese Wall and others say that isn't the real Chinese Wall, so ask around and they will fill you in hopefully.
I remember those trails you mentioned above. Those big boulders weren't fun when we went over them with the Ranger but not too bad with the General.
Have fun my friend!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Don't forget to visit the old cemetery in Deadwood if you are into things like that. We enjoyed it and lots of old graves. Deadwood is very interesting and its history is great IF you like history and we did.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
605 Posts
That looks great. Sounds like you had a great time!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Tons of stuff to see and do in the Black Hills.

Reactions: Makensmoke

·
Registered
2020 XP4
29 Posts
Pirate, was there water flowing through the creek over by Lost Gulch (the boulder route- right side of your map)? First time I went through there a few years ago we crossed the running water many times- awesome trail, last year all the crossings were dry...

Thanks again for sharing all the routes.

·
Registered
2020 XP4
29 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
IF I remember right, you go through Galena and hang a left and go by an old cemetery, and continue down that trail and the one that goes to the Chinese Wall goes to the left of the trail you are on. Since my stroke I might have this totally screwed up Pirate.
Some call it the Galena Chinese Wall and others say that isn't the real Chinese Wall, so ask around and they will fill you in hopefully.
I remember those trails you mentioned above. Those big boulders weren't fun when we went over them with the Ranger but not too bad with the General.
Have fun my friend!
Not to worry Johnny. This severe TBI survivor doesn't remember any of the trails we've done. That's why the mapping devices and care in saving my tracks. That way I can go back next year and follow the tracks. It's very disappointing not to remember. But what the heck, I see new country every day!!
Since I left the lens cap on the GoPro for half the trip! So we'll be going back and will check out the wall and post a few pics!!
Pirate

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Pirate, was there water flowing through the creek over by Lost Gulch (the boulder route- right side of your map)? First time I went through there a few years ago we crossed the running water many times- awesome trail, last year all the crossings were dry...

Thanks again for sharing all the routes.
Nope, the Bear Butte Creek is dry this year. I think that's the name.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Another ride. This one a bit interesting. This ride was to Nemo, then up to the American Flag, then out the back way. I made a good effort to skip pavement. But there are a few sections. The tracks wind through the back country to Nemo and then back to Steel Wheel.
We took a turn and went through the Mystic Hills RV Park, on a Forest Trail and along the back trails and on to the little town of Nemo. From there the track navigates to FT8264, the trail up to the American Flag. But the gate was locked and two fibreglas posts with NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES. So we backtracked to Nemo and had lunch the Nemo Restaurant. A good place for lunch. I called the Forest Service office in Spearfish and was routed to Bonnie. Left her a message asking when the trail was closed. It was open in 2019 & 2020.

Took hwy 404 to the Steamboat Rock Recreational Area turn. This is the way we usually come down from the American Flag. So went up to the flag. Two groups of UTVs came on up the closed gate trail. Said they just took the humped cattle guard to get around the locked gate. So what the heck, that's how we came out.

In the two gpx files, you can see that we took a few shortcuts this time. That's because it was 97 degrees and we were soaking wet...from all the water we drank! Go prepared!
Here is the link to the dropbox folder where the gpx files are located.
American Flag

Pirate

41 - 60 of 60 Posts