Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was digging for that as well. We have Ride Command in the dash, and my Garmin 6" nuvi mounted in the back. As I know it will be easier for finding food/fuel etc. It would have been cool to upload those trails onto the Nuvi. I think the ride command trails should give us a general guidline for routes. While we have the Avenza app on our phones for when we want to use the color coding to be sure our wide machines are compliant.

I'm just under 62" on our G4 using the measuring advice in the video above, so I am good either way. But not the others in the group.

Friend left yesterday, and we take off on Thursday! I'm jacked!
I did some investigating into this... I believe that a person can take the Google Earth layers you can download from the FS and convert them into GPX for importing into the Ride Command. In my head it works, but I don't have my unit yet to play with it.
Theoretically, you would be able to also add a layer for attractions/restaurants/ etc. and import them along with it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
But on the link posted, very few have a Google earth link.

Interested in what you find. Very interested.

Pirate

·
Registered
18 Posts
But on the link posted, very few have a Google earth link.

Interested in what you find. Very interested.

Pirate
I was going to start with the MUVM maps on the Forrest Service website.

It might be a few months before I can mess with it... only 30 days since I ordered!
I am guessing I will be lucky to get it before July 4th. Assuming (hoping) a realistic delivery is more late July/mid-August.

·
Registered
2020 XP4
29 Posts
Other than the obvious tornado, would you recommend carrying a chainsaw? I bought a DeWalt 20v chainsaw a couple years ago that I carry for trail riding, as I don't want to mess with gas for this small purpose. I was debating bringing it with. So nice on the General, of course there is more room in the bed for it.

This is our first trip to the hills on SXS, so we are all excited.
I would skip the saw, instead bring a folding chair to sit on one of the countless perches along the trails and take it all in. I bring a gas grill, some friends, beverages and a garbage bag to that spot too.

My favorite riding destinations by a long shot. Great people out there. Hope my XP4 doesn't cause a ruckus this year for my annual trip out, I will likely be the guy driving his 63" machine (like an adult) on a 62" trail.

...maybe 80'ish psi will skinny up my factory tires so I fit the 62. (i'm not serious)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, we rolled in Thursday night and have one day of riding under our belts yesterday (Friday)

All i can say is AMAZING. What a great time. Honestly, the Avenza maps on a phone are money. They give you the information you need to get around. When combined with the Ride Command and Garmin Nuvi for locating food/gas/drinks we are set.

We are staying South of Cheyenne Crossing and have found trails running right out of our backyard. We have had to run some highways to get between drop zones, but it’s fun to get a little wind in your hair and pass a few slow moving tourists on the black top once in a while.

Otherwise, the weather was near perfect yesterday. We cruised a pile of trails South of Cheyanne Crossing and Deadwood. We even made the climb up Custer Peak. The traffic was minimal on the Friday of the holiday weekend, but my guess is it will get crazy today, as there were truckloads of machines rolling into town.

We hope to drive up Spearfish Canyon today, and go waterfall hunting. We have been fortunate to see a number of wildlife on our checklist. White tails, Mule Deer, Elk, Woodchucks, Turkeys, Fox and plenty of Speed Goats (Antelope)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Make sure to see Spearfish waterfalls behind Latchspring Inn Restaurant.
It is a little walk to get there but well worth it!
There are 3 waterfalls in Spearfish canyon IF i remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Well, we rolled in Thursday night and have one day of riding under our belts yesterday (Friday)

All i can say is AMAZING. What a great time. Honestly, the Avenza maps on a phone are money. They give you the information you need to get around. When combined with the Ride Command and Garmin Nuvi for locating food/gas/drinks we are set.

We are staying South of Cheyenne Crossing and have found trails running right out of our backyard. We have had to run some highways to get between drop zones, but it’s fun to get a little wind in your hair and pass a few slow moving tourists on the black top once in a while.

Otherwise, the weather was near perfect yesterday. We cruised a pile of trails South of Cheyanne Crossing and Deadwood. We even made the climb up Custer Peak. The traffic was minimal on the Friday of the holiday weekend, but my guess is it will get crazy today, as there were truckloads of machines rolling into town.

We hope to drive up Spearfish Canyon today, and go waterfall hunting. We have been fortunate to see a number of wildlife on our checklist. White tails, Mule Deer, Elk, Woodchucks, Turkeys, Fox and plenty of Speed Goats (Antelope)

View attachment 70895
View attachment 70896
Do you have a gpx track to share?
Thx
Pirate

·
Registered
110 Posts
Make sure to see Spearfish waterfalls behind Latchspring Inn Restaurant.
It is a little walk to get there but well worth it!
There are 3 waterfalls in Spearfish canyon IF i remember correctly.
Thanks for the tips. The lodge in Savoy had a street sign advertising Blueberry Lemonade Vodka, and all the wives had to stop. They were actually good and we rolled on down to the waterfall across the street. We only stopped for one, but it was a cool tip. Thank you.

Do you have a gpx track to share?
Thx
Pirate
Actually, i could pull something off my Ride Command or Nuvi, but honestly, just get the MVUM maps on Avenza. They have been gold for us. We have two machines with Avenza, and two with Ride Command, and my Nuvi in the back seat. It has been working.

And wouldn’t you know, in Savoy, the rental shop is a Polaris dealer that has two General XP in Tan camo. WTF, they were brand new machines with zero miles and Ride Command!!

Amazing day again. We rolled all the trails to the West of Spearfish Canyon. Lots of downed trees from a tornado. But they came in and cleared all the trails. WOW!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Following flyinghigh's link: Black Hills ATV & UTV Destinations — Visit our South Dakota Black Hills hidden treasures. (ATV Trails, UTV Trails, Caves, Old Buildings, Ghost Towns) (blackhillsdestinations.com)
Most of you know that I'm a "planning guy". I like to know where I'm going and like to have a GPS track to follow. And thus the Black Hills have been kinda difficult for me, cuz no one has tracks to share. Not Funtreks, not Trails Offroad, and not on the forum. But here we have a very useful website. One thing, this is a business sponsored website. Keep that in mind.
Here's the top of the home page:

Left click on FAVORITE 62" RIDES. You are taken to a page that has headings for the three Ranger District - MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) maps.
You can get the maps free just about anywhere in the black hills. Shops, grocery stores, RV parks, gas stations, you name it...we've seen the maps on display.
Back to the website. Below the name of the area is a list of rides in Bold, Caps, blue text.
Left click on any of the rides and you will be taken to a page that has a highlighted section of the MVUM map and below that a Google Earth map. I chose the Spearfish Peak Ride
for this example.

Put your cursor on the MVUM section and left click...and voila...a larger view of the map. Open your MVUM map and you can locate where that view is located.

Scroll down to the Google Earth map...looks like this:

I left clicked on the "red teardrop" with the dark red center...and there are the waypoint coordinates for the ride.
All the red teardrops with a white circle in the center are the business sponsors of the website. I like to use Garmin BaseCamp as my planning tool. Its free software from Garmin.
And the $49.99 Topo U.S. 24K North Central map set from Garmin. It has most of the trails in the Black Hills on it. An aside here. If you use BaseCamp alone or with the Topo map set, you can use the Waypoint tool to put a waypoint anywhere on the screen, then click on it to Open in...then enter the waypoint coordinates from the Google Earth map. Close the waypoint description and the waypoint will move to those coordinates.

So using the above. I have the ability to plan a route, or track, to get from the RV Park where we are staying to the ride waypoint. In this example SPEARFISH PEAK RIDE. From there
BOSS will have the MVUM map open to the ride area and we can travel the roads we choose.

I'm working hard to become an Avenza Maps expert. So with the three MVUM maps on my Tablet, we can match up the Tablet screen and the MVUM hand held map and have
a pretty good understanding of where we are.

Just thought I would write this up and post it. Will be headed to the Black Hills on Saturday...so more to come!!

Pirate

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Pirate said:
have a pretty good understanding of where we are.

I have always gone by this: If I don't know where I am going, I can't be lost! 🤪

Reactions: Makensmoke

·
Registered
2020 XP4
29 Posts
Curious if you guys got checked for width anywhere out there- Deadwood, Spearfish, Cement Ridge area...Terry's Peak, Nemo?

Is Boulder Creek east of Deadwood flowing water??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Curious if you guys got checked for width anywhere out there- Deadwood, Spearfish, Cement Ridge area...Terry's Peak, Nemo?

Is Boulder Creek east of Deadwood flowing water??
Didn't even see law enforcement in the region. We rode, Spearfish, Cheyenne Crossing, Lead, Deadwood, Custer Peak, Wonderland Cave area etc. And this was a holiday weekend. There is so much ground to cover, they have possibly been setup at the common areas where width comes into play, that would be my guess.

For example, the trail up to the Nemo flag is supposedly 62" and under, and quite popular. But we saw nobody in Nemo or the trail head. We never went up, as we were on our way back to Deadwood at the time. But about the time we would, I suppose they would be sitting halfway up checking width.

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
88 Posts
We didn't see any law enforcement either. We rode all over the northern hills from Silver City to Sturgis to Piedmont to Rapid City. We had two XP 1000 G2's and a RZR turbo.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
We did a section of the Centennial trail...two years ago...and the 62" width is set by a set of boulders you would need an excavator to move. Its at the turn out to the paved road.
There is some paint on them...but our General had no problem at all.

I think the max width of 62.5" width of my General is up on the doors, so the boulders and rails on the bridge just after the boulders was not a problem

No where else have we had problems. I will be checking the next two weeks an plotting waypoints at the narrow location. And post them.

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 XP4
29 Posts
We did a section of the Centennial trail...two years ago...and the 62" width is set by a set of boulders you would need an excavator to move. Its at the turn out to the paved road.

I think the max width of 62.5" width of my General is up on the doors, so the boulders and rails on the bridge just after the boulders was not a problem

No where else have we had problems. I will be checking the next two weeks an plotting waypoints at the narrow location. And post them.

Pirate
Much appreciated. I am pretty sure the outside of the widest point of the tires on my XP4 is upwards of 65...but i've made it through every 62" gate i've come across here in MN, and I didn't have any issues besides in Wyoming last year in the Black Hills.

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP 4 Ride Command
76 Posts

Pirate
Sooooooooooooo, jealous!!!!!! This is why I bought this thing!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
All the times we spent in the Black Hills, we were never checked for width.
Only thing we did see a few times is the Forest Service was out on the trails checking for their sticker. Asked one of them once what the fine was and he told me it was $300 paid in cash on the spot or you walked out and left your machine. Don't know if he was BSing us or not but he looked very serious when he said it. For the low price of the trail stickers, one would have to be pretty stupid not to purchase them.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Johnny,
A few years ago the tree huggers insisted on knowing how many citations had been written to OHVs and what for. They were sure they would all be for OHVs tearing up the countryside.
They got their answer 99 percent were for not having a current Colorado OHV sticker. Fixed them...at least of a few minutes.
Pirate

·
Registered
110 Posts
There was a post on one of the black hills facebook groups today that the LEO's were checking on the trail going up to the Nemo Flag. We considered it, but moved on, as we were on a mission to get to Deadwood. My General was the only one in the group under 62" when measured the way the LEO's are measuring. The General XP, RZR and Ranger were all over 62". But we had no issues finding tons of legal trails.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts