Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General XP
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run the trails in South Dakota? My last RZR was narrower but Im wondering about with the General width wise. They posted today that the trails are 62 inches outside of rubber to outside of rubber at the widest point. I normally ride MN WI where they run outside of rim face to outside of rim face not including rubber. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not done much riding out there, but with a General on order I don’t have much to but look!
when I was looking (mostly in the souther hills so far). It looked to me that there were not a lot of under 62’ trails... so I don’t know that you are missing out on a lot.

I was able to download a google earth layer where I could turn off each type. very helpful.

ETA: Black Hills National Forest - Maps & Publications

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 XP 4 Ride Command
76 Posts
My friend went with a Can-Am Maverick so I'm sure the 64" General is good to go, he didn't say anything about being narrow. Now, not sure which trails you're looking at but he drove over 1000 miles and had a blast!!!!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
We have ridden all over the Black Hills around Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead, etc. with no issues. One of our friends have a turbo RzR which is about 3 inches wider than the General. He can barely make it across the bridge near Nemo but he can make it. Most of the trails have been widened for side by sides but the rules and regulations have not caught up.
Where are you planning to go?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Black Hills are a great place to ride.
We used to spend our summers there and sure miss it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
We booked a VRBO SW of Lead for Memorial Day weekend. We have a G4, G4 Xp, Ranger and Rzr in our group.

So we read the regs, got the trail permit and temp highway tag and joined a couple facebook groups of locals for riding info. I tell you what, that 62" rule is sore spot with the locals. Wow, they go off on tourists asking that question and better yet, if you ask if it's enforced, and how it's enforced.

Many will agree, you can ride most any trail with a 64-72" machine, but not legally. They all agree that the 62" rule has been around forever, but has not be overly enforced. This year they are saying it will be and the forest service just announced in the past couple days how they will be measuring it.

The forest service says that LEO's will be measuring outside of tire to outside of tire at the widest point front or back tires. That's good news for us standard sized G4's as we are listed as 62.5", but when measured this way, we are just under 62" Since the rest of the machines are well over that, it won't matter either way. And the reality of it is, the locals claim 3600 miles of trails and only 600 are limited to 62" or less. So I think we will have plenty to ride.

Official word:

U.S. Forest Service - Black Hills National Forest
Yesterday at 11:35 AM ·
Black Hills National Forest officials have clarified how Off-Highway Vehicle’s (OHV) are to be measured when riders are operating on motorized trails designated 62 inches or less.
For trails designated 62 inches or less on the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM), the OHV measurement is taken from the outside of one tire to the outside of the opposite tire, measuring the widest tire tread width (front or rear).
“We have had many questions over the past year about how to measure the widest point on the vehicle,” said Ralph Adam, Forest Physical Resource Staff Officer. “Giving riders clear language and a consistent approach should help everyone understand how to measure their machine.”
Defining the method for measuring OHV’s was one of the issues discussed at the OHV summit held last February.
(Photo: OHV tire with tape measure, USDA Forest Service/Black Hills National Forest)

Our G4

·
Registered
570 Posts
We're going there in July. We used to rent a cabin when there was more of us going but it's just my wife and I this time so we will stay ay the Blackstone in Lead. Last year there was a tornado that went down Spearfish canyon and closed a lot of trails we wanted to ride on. Hopefully this year there won't be too much weather.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We're going there in July. We used to rent a cabin when there was more of us going but it's just my wife and I this time so we will stay ay the Blackstone in Lead. Last year there was a tornado that went down Spearfish canyon and closed a lot of trails we wanted to ride on. Hopefully this year there won't be too much weather.
Other than the obvious tornado, would you recommend carrying a chainsaw? I bought a DeWalt 20v chainsaw a couple years ago that I carry for trail riding, as I don't want to mess with gas for this small purpose. I was debating bringing it with. So nice on the General, of course there is more room in the bed for it.

This is our first trip to the hills on SXS, so we are all excited.

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
88 Posts
We're heading up on the 27th and coming back on the 1st. We'll stay with friends in Rapid City who'll lead us around the trails.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We're heading up on the 27th and coming back on the 1st. We'll stay with friends in Rapid City who'll lead us around the trails.
What a great resource. I have heard from the locals that nobody wants to guide anymore due to the liability. Heck many camps, resorts and stores will not even write on a map due to liability. Too many yahoos doing stupid things in places they have been shown to go. And those resorts with actual guides have to pay quite a few fees to be able to guide on state and federal land/parks. So a local is an amazing resource!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
What a great resource. I have heard from the locals that nobody wants to guide anymore due to the liability. Heck many camps, resorts and stores will not even write on a map due to liability. Too many yahoos doing stupid things in places they have been shown to go. And those resorts with actual guides have to pay quite a few fees to be able to guide on state and federal land/parks. So a local is an amazing resource!
Too many people always want to blame someone else for their carelessness. Won't accept responsiblity for their own actions.
Far too many are sue happy.

Reactions: Biffdotorg

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 2 seat Deluxe
49 Posts
Man, what a trip that would be. I loved South Dakota, my favorite state besides Maine. Maybe one day...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The thing about South Dakota is their license fees are pretty reasonable ($$$)
Most of the people who live here in Baja have South Dakota plates. Why?
Because Cal-law-forma will cost you twice as much to plate and register your vehicle.
It’s ridiculous, my brother has a 99 Ford 1 ton diesel truck and every year he has to get it smogged before he sends in his big a_s check to the state. The smog test costs him about a $100 bucks..........hmmmmm. Quess what the test is for a 99 Ford diesel “aka” International Navstar diesel is? Hmmmmmm there is none!!! But he still has to pay......... and you wonder why I don’t live there???? South Dakota baby ❤❤👍
Cheers Baja Charlie or as many call me down here “Carlito”

PS it’s hot today.... around 90.....time for a cold beer or two.....ILSD (I Love South Dakota) and there are a bunch of my cousins living there too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The thing about South Dakota is their license fees are pretty reasonable ($$$)
Most of the people who live here in Baja have South Dakota plates. Why?
Because Cal-law-forma will cost you twice as much to plate and register your vehicle.
It’s ridiculous, my brother has a 99 Ford 1 ton diesel truck and every year he has to get it smogged before he sends in his big a_s check to the state. The smog test costs him about a $100 bucks..........hmmmmm. Quess what the test is for a 99 Ford diesel “aka” International Navstar diesel is? Hmmmmmm there is none!!! But he still has to pay......... and you wonder why I don’t live there???? South Dakota baby ❤❤👍
Cheers Baja Charlie or as many call me down here “Carlito”

PS it’s hot today.... around 90.....time for a cold beer or two.....ILSD (I Love South Dakota) and there are a bunch of my cousins living there too.
SHHHHHH!!!

it’s horrible here... don’t come here.

it’s getting hard to get a campsite around here!

·
Registered
570 Posts
There were a few instances that a chainsaw would have been nice to have but I would say for the most part it is not necessary. Maybe a small folding hand held saw is all you should need. If a lot of trees have fallen down they will close the trail until they can come in and clean it up. Also, I'm not sure what the law says about cutting trees even if they have fallen across the trail. I'm sure others would appreciate the effort though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be advised they are measuring and if you are to wide will be asked to leave if you are lucky. If not, the law says up to $5000 fine and jail.

Patience has run out. Their are 3600 miles open to all the big machines and only a few hundred for the ATVs and smaller UTVs. The point of the 62 inch rule is to allow 60 class machines an 1 inch on each side to get through the gates....that's it. People keep running their pickups, jeeps, 72 inch x3s and all the 64 in stuff on them and ruining them.

It has taken over a decade but they now have the staff to put some teeth into the rule and many of us locals are going to help them as well.

I ride the 62 trails with my ATV and the rest with my UTV. I have a great time on either. There is plenty of riding for both.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
you know, heading to the Black Hills in two weeks...this link is going to be most helpful. BUT...can't they add a gpx download so that we know where the trail is and have a track to follow?
doing so would be so helpful. Joining the Fugarwee tribe all the time gets pretty disappointing!

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
109 Posts
you know, heading to the Black Hills in two weeks...this link is going to be most helpful. BUT...can't they add a gpx download so that we know where the trail is and have a track to follow?
doing so would be so helpful. Joining the Fugarwee tribe all the time gets pretty disappointing!

Thanks,

Pirate
I was digging for that as well. We have Ride Command in the dash, and my Garmin 6" nuvi mounted in the back. As I know it will be easier for finding food/fuel etc. It would have been cool to upload those trails onto the Nuvi. I think the ride command trails should give us a general guidline for routes. While we have the Avenza app on our phones for when we want to use the color coding to be sure our wide machines are compliant.

I'm just under 62" on our G4 using the measuring advice in the video above, so I am good either way. But not the others in the group.

Friend left yesterday, and we take off on Thursday! I'm jacked!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts