Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trail riding last weekend my ride went from what the He** to holy sh**
instantly.
While riding down the trail I ran over a stick that got kicked up and went threw my
floor just under my gas pedal hard enough that it knocked my foot off the pedal.
then all the sudden my ride went to full throttle instantly when the ride rolled forward
the stick caught the ground under my ride and forced the peddle wide open right before
an turn in the trail with a lot of trees ahead. I was able to hit the brakes and turn the
ignition off before kissing the trees.

I was working on patching the hole today until I can get a new floor pan to replace this one.
I took off my belly pan to get better access to the hole and found that the main wiring
harness that runs under the ride was hanging down and has been rubbing on the drive
shaft it has wore through the wire wrap and was starting to wear on the insulation on the wires.

Where the wires come down from the front they just hang there and only supported by
1 tie strap where it starts back up the back of the ride for the engine. so the hole length
of this harness when you get mud under there and on it hangs down and rubs on the
drive shaft. there is a couple places to add tie straps under there to hold it up.

no harder than it is to remove your belly pan I think it would be worth your time to add more support to that harness.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Thanks for the heads up worth a peek!

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
264 Posts
This happened to a friend a while back on a RZR. Came through the floor and stuck him in the leg. Polaris skid plates are a joke.

I've have a Factory UTV Ultimate Half Inch UHMW Skid Package on my XP 900 and have the Trail Armor 1/2 inch skid plate and A arm protectors in my garage waiting for me to have the time to put them on my General.

I am very happy with the Factory UTV skid plate and A arm protectors but I decided to try the Trail Armor because I like the way they build in the slider nerfs on the side. (Have new in the box Polaris rock sliders I decided not to use if anyone is looking)

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's honestly quite worrying. Glad your okay though and thanks for sharing about the wiring harness. I would try to put some sort of reinforcement under that floor pan.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
As Carbon Summit posted, the Polaris skid plate is kind of a joke.

My #1 accessory one my RZR 800 and now the General was a Factory UTV UHMW skid plate set. For the General I went with the 1/2". I also purchased the rear A-arm guards, but in 3/8" UHMW.

Now, on the General a read a post about using Rivit Nuts instead of the "self-threading" bolts that come with the machine and with the skid set. Rivit Nuts are permanent, give you about 5/16" of good threads. So now more skid bolts that won't tighten. And I'm finding its really easy to remove the skids for maintenance or cleaning.

Just my thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
374 Posts
This happened to a friend a while back on a RZR. Came through the floor and stuck him in the leg. Polaris skid plates are a joke.

I've have a Factory UTV Ultimate Half Inch UHMW Skid Package on my XP 900 and have the Trail Armor 1/2 inch skid plate and A arm protectors in my garage waiting for me to have the time to put them on my General.

I am very happy with the Factory UTV skid plate and A arm protectors but I decided to try the Trail Armor because I like the way they build in the slider nerfs on the side. (Have new in the box Polaris rock sliders I decided not to use if anyone is looking)

Not to defend Polaris, but they're not only the company out there with weak skid plates AND sometimes it's not a matter of the skid plate, but rather a lack of protection period.

I had a similar issue with my RZR a few years back. No issue with the throttle sticking, but a stick went straight through the floor pan right between the brake and throttle pedal. A solid steel skid plate wouldn't have protected this as the skid stops at the frame. It does not wrap up around the front floor boards for protection.

If anyone is familiar with the Kawasaki Teryx, you will know that last year they had similar issues and issued a Recall Notice to have all Teryxs (not sure years) to be sent back to dealer for metal floor pan/firewall protection. Kawaskai did a clean job adding these pieces to the Teryx. In my opinion, all SxS's should have this protection.

I have a post somewhere on here about the massive hole I blew in my skid plate. I still don't have any idea how it happened as I was driving on a flat access road at the time. The only thing I can contribute it too, is changes in temperature as I was driving through snow in spring temperatures. I ordered the Factory UTV skid right away, but it too does not add any protection at the front of the floor pan.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very true about the area above the bottom of the machine. Front floor pan, I guess is a good name for it. Never thought about that being a weak spot!

When I put on my Trail Armor skid plate and A arms on I'll make sure that wiring harness is secure. Great FYI from rrlyons for everyone to check.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Has anyone found UHMW skid plates for the General 4 yet? I have looked at Trail Armor, Factory UTV, and Tusk, and only see skids for the two seat General. Having changed skids out after riding a machine in the past, I would much prefer to do this without mud/sand/dirt sitting on the OEM skid, so I want to change it as soon as I get the machine.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
It is very nice that the Factory UTV 1/2" UHMW skid wraps up around the front cross-frame members!

I've got Rokblokz mud flaps on the front, and mounted them the way I want.

But they don't cover the gap between the firewall and skid plate all the way across.

Have a set of their rear mud flaps and thinking of cutting them up and using them to cover the rest of the open area.

Will post pics if I do.

Pirate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts