Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea! I was gonna put 3-4 stainless #8 button heads across the top of each door with acorn nuts on the inside but these would be even better

The only thing about either bolt is making sure you can find some reasonably flat surfaces so you dont have gaps along the screw heads,the door panels will flex a little so you have some leeway.

The top back portion where the separation seems to be the worst on my door offers plenty of places.

I figure three for each door along the high part,two and half inches below the top edge would do it.

Add your favorite rattle can color and you're in business.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had thought of something similar. I'm sure I've seen these furniture bolts at Lowe's in the past. I just don't want Polaris to get the idea that this is an acceptable solution. This is a Band-aid until they come up with a better design. I'd already have them on mine if I wasn't concerned about Polaris denying my claim because I "modified the door".
Also, when/if installing these you need to be sure they aren't in line with where the brackets for the upper windows go into the door. If not for you then for the next owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had thought of something similar. I'm sure I've seen these furniture bolts at Lowe's in the past. I just don't want Polaris to get the idea that this is an acceptable solution. This is a Band-aid until they come up with a better design. I'd already have them on mine if I wasn't concerned about Polaris denying my claim because I "modified the door".
Also, when/if installing these you need to be sure they aren't in line with where the brackets for the upper windows go into the door. If not for you then for the next owner.
Not gonna worry about the warranty thing if they do a recall,you obviously have a problem or there wouldnt be screws in your doors.
And if you take your door apart you'll see there's plenty of room for screws without interfering with anything.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Any of ya'll got pics of your install and the finished look?

I have the separation at the top of the door issue too...and looking for a solution.

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've come up with a different solution than the sex bolts.
Ordered some 1/4-28 x 2" socket flat head machine screws(that i'll cut to length since the needed lengths will vary)and some black nylon washers

https://www.grainger.com/product/MI...432b45c75b1a9c638cfc725715cc86d0d&origin=prod

These washers will allow for the various angles on the door.

Plan on drilling through the door and into the aluminum door frame and tapping it 1/4-28.
You can then pull the door pieces towards the door frame.
Going to use some loctite to stop the screws from backing out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've come up with a different solution than the sex bolts.
Ordered some 1/4-28 x 2" socket flat head machine screws(that i'll cut to length since the needed lengths will vary)and some black nylon washers

https://www.grainger.com/product/MI...432b45c75b1a9c638cfc725715cc86d0d&origin=prod

These washers will allow for the various angles on the door.

Plan on drilling through the door and into the aluminum door frame and tapping it 1/4-28.
You can then pull the door pieces towards the door frame.
Going to use some loctite to stop the screws from backing out.
Ordered some 1/2 in O.D. x .260 I.D. aluminum tubing to make spacers between the door frame and the door shell.
This should tighten everything up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why not rivnuts on the inside of door? Possibly paint then end black or maybe plastidip it? Since reading about rivnuts on this forum I've found TONS of uses for them!! Wish I could find some colored inserts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm not sure rivnuts would be the best option here. I don't think the inner "skeleton" of the door goes all the way to the top of the inner/outer skins and that's where mine needs to be held together. Plus you'd need one rivnut each for the inner and outer skins at every bolt location which means twice the hardware.
2016 GEN Polaris R16RGE99A7/AE/AV POLARIS GENERAL 1000 EPS R16RGE99A7/AE/AV (2016) Body, Doors R16rge99a7/Ae/Av | Babbitts Online

On a side note, if you like rivnuts then check out jack nuts. Generally easier to install and work just as well in moderate duty situations.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've completed my temporary (permanent) repair and documented it all with pics. I also have pics of a few points to show Polaris where I feel they failed in their design. Need to finish up the work and jot it all down in a reasonably cohesive format. Probably won't happen until next week though, stay tuned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts