Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Isopropyl melts ice?
Yes. Either of these pictured below will work. I first learned this trick back in the early 90’s, and all the old guys were amazed I didn’t already know about it, when my air brakes wouldn’t work due to frozen moisture in the lines. Popped the gladhands off and dumped a few ounces in and solved the problem almost instantly. Ever since then, I keep a few bottles in the shop for whatever might need to be unfrozen; vehicle door locks, padlocks, etc. Works like a champ, doesn’t hurt paint or sensitive surfaces. I’ve used it to spray on windshield wipers that were frozen to windshields, and a ton of other issues where something was frozen. Never tried it on Ralphie’s tongue to the frozen flagpole, but other than the foul taste, I’m sure it would solve that problem too. 😂
Liquid Bottle cap Bottle Household supply Fluid

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Thinking about it. One could also use a heat gun taped to a broom handle. I just bought a lower power heat gun for using with the new style wire connectors. Low head melts the solder and the shrink wrap. But I don't hot enough to damage a CV boot. Or use the big heat gun and stay back bit and be careful. But it will melt snow out of the area real quick! The warmth generated will probably keep
anything wet from re-freezing until you get the machine in the garage!

Is your garage unfinished? Thus could you insulate it? If it's drywalled, you could have an insulator come in, drill holes at the top of the walls and fill them with foam insulation. Then blow fiberglas
insulation above the ceiling. Our garage is framed to the new code, in 2x6's, then R19 bat insulation between the studs. Then R30 blown in above the drywall ceiling. About 15" deep. Up here in the Colorado foothills, I'll be danged if that garage doesn't stay about 48 degrees overnite. It's the heat from Mama's Tacoma. The same might be true for the General keeping the garage warm when it's well insulated. No, no heat from the house gets to the garage. I designed the house with ICF, Insulated Concrete Form. The walls from basement footer to roof rafters is 2.5" foam, 8" concrete, 2/5" foam. So about an R43 wall. Some thoughts. on keeping the garage warmer.

Pirate

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ours is drywalled and insulated but the attic area is storage area. There is even a rudimentary woodstove in there. But I need to re-run the stack, it goes straight up, then does a 90 degree turn horizontal for 6 feet then heads to the wall and then out, then up via another 90. That 6 foot of horizontal makes for not enough draft. So I figured I'd come out of the top immediately and go for a 45, then another 45 at the wall. Then the smoke is always going upwards. If I had some spare cash I'd buy a power vented modern wood stove.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nothing better than a heated shop. I built mine from the ground up back in the mid-90’s, and installed a gas furnace in it back then. Very insulated and well built, so the furnace is pretty efficient. I keep it at about 50* during the winter, unless I’m working in there, then I’ll bump it up into about the 60-65* range.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts