Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure which area on the forum to submit this question so apologies if its incorrect.

I don't know if this is true but I was told the front diff can be damaged if left over night with snow packed or accumulated around it.
When I plow snow with it in winter, it gets a lot of snow up in the suspension and in the skid plates and all.

Its not an easy task in 5 degree weather to get all the snow off there before putting it back in the garage.

Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
234 Posts
I would get the snow away from any of the cv joints (rubber boots), where the axles go into the diff's (axel seals) or where the driveshafts go into the diff/Trans (input/output seals). These are where you're going to damage things, otherwise let it be IMO...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not really but it packs in around them. Then with the heat from the diff/breaks it will melt some. Then could possibly stick to the boot and rip it or just create sharp edges that'll cut them. The boots are rather easy to damage IMO. I try to keep everything away from them... it's what I do. I also have a plow and I'll blow out all these areas if I see accumulation. Typically in my driveway, I font have much issue, but if I'm on the lake or in the woods I'll get a good amount of buildup

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wasn't sure which area on the forum to submit this question so apologies if its incorrect.

I don't know if this is true but I was told the front diff can be damaged if left over night with snow packed or accumulated around it.
When I plow snow with it in winter, it gets a lot of snow up in the suspension and in the skid plates and all.

Its not an easy task in 5 degree weather to get all the snow off there before putting it back in the garage.

Thanks,

M
Is your garage heated?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The boots are the big problem to worry about with snow and ice build up, especially if your garage isn't heated.
Just try to clean it up the best you can and make it a habit!
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
(Ordered) General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition
206 Posts
Invest in a portable heater, to at least melt the snow and ice on your rig, suggest a propane with fan heater, make quick work on deicing.

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a Denali plow on my RZR 900s for 3 years and never had a problem with the front diff. That said, the weight of plow (roughly 230lbs) did a number on my stock Fox shocks. I recently upgraded to a G2 and a spring upgrade was my first purchase.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
But you might get one of the good quartz space heaters and put it where it will melt the snow on the boots...without setting fire to things. Then you can use a timer to shut the heater off.
Then no worries about propane exhaust in a closed area. the electric heaters are available in numerous sizes and I'm sure you can get one that will melt the snow off the CV boots for the axles and driveshaft.
Just a thought.
Pirate

·
Premium Member
(Ordered) General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition
206 Posts
Clean burning propane, for the amount of time needed to thaw and melt the ice and snow, would out weight the time needed for a quartz to do the same, time is money and money is time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would get the snow away from any of the cv joints (rubber boots), where the axles go into the diff's (axel seals) or where the driveshafts go into the diff/Trans (input/output seals). These are where you're going to damage things, otherwise let it be IMO...

And out of the wheels/brakes, it will freeze up overnight, usually not a problem, but you never know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a small Vornado space heater that blows warm air.
I will also look for some sort of long brush. I wish they made long jumbo sized bottle brushes. That would make short work of the snow that packs around that diff.
By the time I'm done plowing the drive way and the neighbors driveway, the snow has become very packed in and around the diff.
A propane heater might do me well too.
Simply because I could melt all the snow off outside and it would drip all over the garage floor. Whoever poured the slab of concrete for that garage before I moved here, didn't put a slight slope towards the doors. Water moves to the side wall and under some cabinets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a small Vornado space heater that blows warm air.
I will also look for some sort of long brush. I wish they made long jumbo sized bottle brushes. That would make short work of the snow that packs around that diff.
By the time I'm done plowing the drive way and the neighbors driveway, the snow has become very packed in and around the diff.
A propane heater might do me well too.
Simply because I could melt all the snow off outside and it would drip all over the garage floor. Whoever poured the slab of concrete for that garage before I moved here, didn't put a slight slope towards the doors. Water moves to the side wall and under some cabinets.
Go to www.uline.com and search brush on their website. I'm sure you'll find something there...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Sometimes sloping the floor to the doors isn't a good deal, depending on how cold it gets where you are at. Knew a guy the lived close to our ranch in NoDak and he tried sloping his concrete floor towards his door as he didn't have a floor drain. Ended up freezing his garage door down and he would have to get under it with a scraper to break the ice loose from the garage door before he could open it.

Reactions: lueck89
1 - 20 of 26 Posts