Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t seemed to find many people have problems with the snorkel gear. But my driveshaft no longer spins and 4 wd sounds terrible... leads me to believe it’s the tranny. Hoping warranty will catch it. And after all I thought the reverse chains where weak in these machines.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
How many miles/hours to you have on your machine?
So the driveshaft to the Hilliard front differential?
I believe you have to abuse the machine to break reverse chain. If you've not being doing that, it should be OK.
Under what conditions does the Hilliard diff begin making lots of noise?
Got to know more about the front driveshaft not rotating. Can you rotate it my hand? You should be able to if the transmission is in Neutral.

The only thing I see, on every year from 2016 to 2020
for 2019 its item 51 on the parts fiche page.

In the transmission parts drawing for 2016, it's item 42

But, to me anyway, it looks like it's the front output shaft support. is a machined piece that fits into the transmission case.
A piece that looks like the only problem area would be the failure of the bearing that mounts at the front of the transmission case.
If something was going bad it that are I would think the wobble of the output shaft would ruin the seal where the output shaft exits the trans case.
But its a triple lip viton seal so its going to take a lot to make it leak.

Now...you wrote the driveshaft from the front output shaft to the carrier bearing and then to the Hilliard differential isn't rotating at all? It should be rotating all the time.
Flipping the AWD switch to AWD shouldn't do anything unless the rear wheels lose traction and begin to spin. If the switch is on and the rear wheels have lost traction,
Hilliard diff design will then lockup and the front wheels will get power. As soon as the rear wheels regain traction, the Hilliard diff disengages and you're back in rear wheel drive.

To go forward need a little more info, my questions above, so that we can help you find the issue. Which you really should understand before you take it to the Dealer.

We're all here to help and learn!
Pirate

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 19 with nearly 2000 miles on it. 90% or my miles are dirt road miles. Heck I run turf mode 90% of the time. This past weekend we did an actual trail ride. Came down a pretty steep hill in 4 high had to back up some at the bottom went to climb out. Now I have done This hill multiple times it’s not that bad, 4wd low range it was muddy too and that’s when all the clanging and banging started happening. I left off and did the hill in 2 wd after being pulled over the very top. Limped it home and after haveing all 4 tires off the ground the center driveshaft no longer spins. Like drivers side rear tire where you can see the center driveline it doesn’t spin. Now for all the other Polaris machines I have been around the center driveshaft should spin all the time and the front diff does the engaging and disengaging. This leads me to believe it’s the snorkel gear.

But it seems no other generals have had This problem.

The other thing that bother me is I don’t beat on my machine. Even with having 32s I go easy on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Its most likely the snorkel gear there has been a few mentions of it breaking usually on machines with 33's and up. If you are not beating on it and it breaks it could just be faulty metal. But by the sounds of it. Youve busted it

·
Registered
413 Posts
If your lucky it is possible that you stripped the teeth off of the yoke that slips into the snorkel shaft.....this happens often because a lot of people miss the grease fitting that is on the yoke and it eventually grinds the teeth down to a point that they no longer engaged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly the splines aren’t stripped..
Hope this video helps you guys

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new snorkel gear and gear reduction as well on the way. Might tear into it this weekend

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Reactions: 2020GeneralPremium

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Current situation. Snorkel gear is definelty screwed... tranny came out pretty nicely. Does anyone have any good links to a service manual? Or know the torque specs of tranny bolts? And what side to crack it open on. Splitting the trans Tommroow night. Already have gears on the way. Any tranny rebuild tips would be much appreciated. Thanks Logan

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you wouldn't mind. Could you tell us how the Snorkel gear has been damaged? I researched it some this morning and find its not really a gear. What I could find its an inner and outer sleeve with 13 "notches" in each an it's use is setting the back lash of the Snorkel assembly. You set the backlash and then install a pin to keep the two sleeves aligned.

Replacing it requires removing the pinion gear assembly first.

As a long time owner. Have done nearly everything on a RZR and General...I'm not sure you want to tear into the transmission. I would look into one of the vendors here on the forum and consider sending the trans and parts to them.

Just my approach.
Pirate

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
    There doesn’t seem to be any problems here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically what happened is I had to help a fellow out of the mud(RZR 900s). Of course pulled out in reverse now me behind very gentle knowing the reverse chain problems I pulled him out. Didn’t spin a tire but belt did slip cause of tires and not having clutch kit/gear reduction.

I didn’t hear any noise as of now but about 2 miles into the trail I went to reverse cause one fellow couldn’t make a hill and when I did it felt like I was hitting something solid(when reversing) I did this 3 times, of course I was in some slight mud but nothing that should have gave me trouble. The third time is when the gear popped and made all kinds of noises when In 4wd.

Ended up junking the pinion and snorkel gear, output shaft is bent and output shaft bearings and pinion gear. Majority of the gear debris got torn up in the snorkel gear area. All other bearings seemed fine as I just cleaned and inspected everything.
If I learned anything from all of this, if you have to pull someone out do It in a forward gear. And if you plan to run bigger tires this is a risk you take. Im posting here for others to learn from. Not the cheapest mistake I have made...thanks for the responses BTW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This is the buggy I pulled out.. and the general made it right through this hole without bottoming out after I pulled him. I’ll stop talking now

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Just a little damage, change the gear oil and good to go. LOL
Thanks for the write-up and the pics. Man when you think about it, it is hard to believe doing that would result in that much damage.
Keep us posted if you would please and thanks again!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have a 19 with nearly 2000 miles on it. 90% or my miles are dirt road miles. Heck I run turf mode 90% of the time. This past weekend we did an actual trail ride. Came down a pretty steep hill in 4 high had to back up some at the bottom went to climb out. Now I have done This hill multiple times it’s not that bad, 4wd low range it was muddy too and that’s when all the clanging and banging started happening. I left off and did the hill in 2 wd after being pulled over the very top. Limped it home and after haveing all 4 tires off the ground the center driveshaft no longer spins. Like drivers side rear tire where you can see the center driveline it doesn’t spin. Now for all the other Polaris machines I have been around the center driveshaft should spin all the time and the front diff does the engaging and disengaging. This leads me to believe it’s the snorkel gear.

But it seems no other generals have had This problem.

The other thing that bother me is I don’t beat on my machine. Even with having 32s I go easy on it.
RRG, I see that you have written "4 high" and "4wd low range". Just asking, do you know how the "On Demand AWD" in a Polaris SxS works? What you have written doesn't match with what's really happening.
Just asking,
Pirate

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Looking for a little education on the trans internals. I've done just about anything you can think of on a RZR and General. Except open the transmission or the Hilliard diff.

The Snorkel gear is on the output shaft to the Hilliard differential, that I can see. But after looking this post. parts pages on the web and the service manual in pdf format...I can't tell.

What does does the Snorkel gear engage to?

Thanks,
Pirate

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Having reworked the pinion shaft on a good number of RZR 800 machines. And the damage they suffer when it's not done and the pinion nut gets loose and the pinion walks into the ring gear, and all the pinion roller bearings come apart....Looking at the damage you've suffered...something tells me some debris from inside the trans got into the snorkel gear, several times, and trashed the gear. Something hard like roller bearing or ball bearing pieces?

Just sayin'

Pirate

·
Registered
123 Posts
I dont think any foreign material went threw the gear. It seems like a case of the too much torque not good enough metal. Same thing happens on can am rear diffs (outlanders renegades and commanders) some people attribute it to premature wear due wear pattern (wrong shimming/backlash) so im thinking polaris needs to revise its metal quality choice and mesh pattern of the gears

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hmmm... the Snorkel tube is the way to set the backlash, or engagement, of the snorkel gear and its partner. Perhaps one could use blue to check the backlash?

Looking at the pic of the gear damage, it looks catastrophic.

Did, perhaps the reverse chain failed or started to fail and some of those pieces went through the gears?

Pirate

1 - 20 of 62 Posts