Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Have seen quite a few toyhaulers both bumper and 5th wheel types being pulled with a F150. Just have to watch your gross weight and go with smaller and lighter trailers than people with 3/4 or 1 ton pickups.
For pulling it is best to have a too big of rated pickup pay load than too small. Also don't pull too fast as have seen way too many going way faster than they should if they would need to stop fast.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have seen quite a few toyhaulers both bumper and 5th wheel types being pulled with a F150. Just have to watch your gross weight and go with smaller and lighter trailers than people with 3/4 or 1 ton pickups.
For pulling it is best to have a too big of rated pickup pay load than too small. Also don't pull too fast as have seen way too many going way faster than they should if they would need to stop fast.
Totally agree, need to make sure everything is within its weights and not maxing anything out. For reference I was looking at this trailer XLR Boost 21 qbs . And for those wondering, yes I have checked my payload sticker on the door jam, the weight sticker on the receiver, and have weighed my truck at a cat scale :)

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Biggest problem is finding a Toyhauler with a garage long enough to fit a G4. Mine is a Voltage 3800 it was advertised as having a 14 ft garage. Well, with the kitchen pantry and the half bath sticking into the garage its 11ft 11in in length. We're trying to sell it...and everyone looking needs a full 14 ft garage.

I doubt you will find what you're looking for. But best of luck!

Pirate

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ended up building my own out of a 20' cargo trailer years ago, can get 4 full size ATV's in it plus all our gear, she's full. Bunk beds, TV, cooking facilities heating and AC oh and tunes. Couldn't find anything that would fit all our equipment. My wifes version of camping is staying at a 4+ star hotel, so it's just me and my boys, makes it simpler.
We have been recently sniffing around an upgrade, one big enough for two full size ATV's, all our gear, and the UTV and the bottom line is this.
Search for a car hauler with facilities, no front bedroom (if you want max usable space) and you'll find lots of options; searching for a toy hauler and you'll find most are made for a motorcycle or two, not ATV's / UTV's.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I just ordered a 16 ft Haulmark to pull behind the new motorhome. You can order one with all the windows, doors, vents, AC. Just about anything you want.
Different approach, but it will work.

Pirate

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yah, I started with a Ram 1500 5.7-L v8, it worked with the 20' trailer, but it was at the limit of it's towing capability. Dodge gas trucks aren't knows for fuel mileage, I'd make between 3-6 mpg pulling the trailer, but otherwise it was fine. Fine for short hauls, but don't pass a gas station. Now the Ram 2500 diesel makes 15mpg pulling the same trailer and I can actually go places.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I do have a 15 f150 4x4 supercab 6.5 foot bed with 300hp 2.7 with tow package and factory brake controller . I tow a 20 foot charmac enclosed sled trailer with my general in it . The trucks rated at like 7600 and the trailer itself is about 3700 and the general with gas and some extras and fuel is under 2000 so about 5700ish . I tow slow and steady at 60 even in a 70 as the truck does get it done but have had some OH SH!! moments . I joined the F150 community to see what can be done for a little better tow and seems that even truck with the max payload option feels like mine even when well under the limit and other F150 owners on that forum spent a lot of cash on extras and never got a great feeling f150 towing some real weight . The feel is almost like driving one sheet ice even when dry when towing and have followed others on the forum that doi WD , airbags , leafs heavy duty tires ETC etc and doesn't seem that 1 is the fixxall for the 2015-2021 generation f150 . I'm an old hand at towing and try to not let overconfidence play into my driving and on windy days I may do 50 on the interstate to maintain safe control . A toyhauler with a 4 seater will probably weigh a lot more than my set up and if you have a 15 or newer join the f150 forum and read some . I am in the market for a cummins 2500 truck do to the set up I have and room to grow. Other on the forums had said earlier 09-14 f150 that got traded on the new 15 and up towed better and of course some ex ram and silverado owners were disappointed at the 15+ f150 tow performance after trading in on 1 . Just my 2 cents you can have for free .

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
A 2500 is the way to go. When I first got my General, I had a half ton Sierra, 5.3, with 3.73 gears, and I believe the tow rating was 7500lbs. With my enclosed trailer, and the G, I was knocking on 5000lbs. Well within the trucks capabilty, and it did fine, but when I got my current Silverado 2500 gasser, the difference was night and day. Pulls it way easier, and feels so much more stable. Now we have a 37ft toy hauler, all loaded is just over 10,000lbs, and the truck handles it great. Still have some cushion, with a rating of 13,500lbs.

I must admit though, I wouldn't mind a dually, have always had a thing for them, but don't want the hassle of a diesel, so I'm sticking with gas for now.

Something else to think about, if you want to keep using the F150, is upgrading your tires to an E rated 10 ply. It'll take some of the squshyness out of the feel. It will firm up the ride though, if that's a concern.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Funny, I test drove a new F-150 2018 with the 3.5 eco boost, and actually put a deposit on one, it had the tow package and would tow over 10k lbs. Then a dealer offered me 20 k for my 2004 dodge diesel, 170k miles on it, 4 door 2500. Back to Dodge I went, now my 2500 Ram diesel makes 22mpg on the high way empty, will make over 12mpg pulling a house, is now pretty quite, has all the bells and whistles as a gasser, the new quad link suspension rides nicer than my wife's suv. Did I mention I could tow a house, seat 5 comfortable and in my neck of the woods, Diesel fuel is back under gas by .15 per gallon. My 6.7 diesel empty makes 5 mpg better than my wife's 5.3 suv. Diesel are crazy powerful, nearly impossible to over heat and now very quite and zero odor. You do pay a premium at purchase, but again, I was shocked at what I got for my 15 year old truck in trade; I do tend take VERY good care of my stuff.

All that said, when I did tow with my 1500 quad cab, I installed "helper" springs on the rear to help eliminate the squat and I did run 10- ply D rated tires. I did that for a few years, then when gas hit 3.50 a gallon I went to the diesel and haven't looked back; well I almost did. The new Gas trucks are pretty darn nice. What ever you do be safe; keep in mind you also need weight to stop weight, watch your trailer brakes, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! My current truck is a 19 F150 , 6.5 bed, super crew 3.5 ecoboost with the max tow package (E tires / wd hitch/ airbags) . I just sold my old house trailer, a Cougar 26bhs. Nice trailer but started looking at toy haulers now that the General is on order. The F150 pulled my cougar around great, in fact it pulled it, slowed it down and stopped it better than my previous truck ( 99 dodge with 5.9 Cummins). I know most people will think I’m crazy for saying that but it’s true, technology and engineering has come a long way in 20 years :) I was the original owner of the dodge and it served me well for 20 years, I hope this ford lasts half as long ! I do a lot of Mountain pulling and the F150 has served me great so far.... but I know throwing an extra 2000 pounds in a trailer is a lot ! So that’s why I started this thread, just seeing who/ if anyone was pulling small toy haulers with half tons ! Thanks again!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good deal, I don't think your crazy, it's all about what works for you and what your comfortable with. Heck just driving style makes a huge difference person to person. I always tell people I'm very brand dis-loyal, other than I try to buy USA when I can; I buy what I think best suits the need at the time and for the most users. I have 2-Fords, a Chevy, two jeeps, and 2 dodge pickups in the fleet, they all have their place and purpose. I really wanted a Can-Am side by side but a fellow rider told me who owned both how much better the General rode than his Can-Am; so I bought the General.
My Ram 1500 pulled my 7500-lb just fine; the helper springs were a night and day difference though in handling and keeping everyone from constantly flashing their brights at me when driving at night!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 2017 F-150, 4wd super crew with 5.5’ bed. 3.5 ecoboost (the later version) that makes 385 hp, ten speed auto tranny, and I think 3.51 gears. The truck has the HD towing pkg. The truck is stock. On paper, it should be a towing son of a gun.

I rented a 6000lbs Toyhauler and with the G2 and other camping stuff head out for a 500 mile trip. The guy I rented the trailer from really over tightened the easy lift when we hitched it up, moving most of the tongue weight to the trucks front axle. Most horrible towing experience I’ve had. And I’ve driven a lot of towed vehicles, as I have a Class 1 license with all endorsements.

The truck could run away uphill with power, tranny was great. Downhill and curves were horrible as the rear end of the truck would get squirrelly. Rental guy suggested not carry the water all the way down to my destination, but when I did add water that helped some. Finally re adjusted the easy lift and it was better.

After I got home, I put the trailer with the Polaris behind my kids 1971 Jimmy. Even with the shorter wheel base, it handled the trailer better than my ford and the Jimmy is on 36” rubber.

I’ve pulled tractor trailer, horse trailers, flat beds and my Aluma trailer with the Ford. It will do it, but on downhills and curves with over 2000lbs of weight on it, you feel it. Just a slightly uncomfortable feeling that the truck is letting you know something is behind you.

The lighter truck may have better amenities and mpg, but I do miss the iron in the trucks of the 60’s and 70’s as well as the modern day diesels. Since I don’t tow maybe but once a month, it’s a trade off between ride, comfort and performance that I’ll live with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
BMP4510, I know exactly what you are saying, I had the scariest experience of my driving life when I first went through the hills of Missouri with my 1500 and 20-enclosed trailer, a few times I thought the trailer was going to pass me. I had one hill I was going down that I had no choice but to punch it, I was flaring the trailer brakes manually and accelerating to try and keep the trailer straight, going up hill no problem. That's when I added the helper springs, made a world of difference. Another truck and trailer that was following me couldn't believe I held it together, they said it was even worse than I had thought. I was dam lucky that day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
after years of having different trailers, i will never go back to 1/2 ton and NEVER go back to gas. when i pull it is just an enjoyable sunday drive. and i'm not running numbers in my head or moving gas cans to try and get the weights right.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I just ordered a 16 ft Haulmark to pull behind the new motorhome. You can order one with all the windows, doors, vents, AC. Just about anything you want.
Different approach, but it will work.

Pirate
Pirate,
I hope and guessing you did order the extra height so you can get the General in it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep, been towing (and daily driving) a quad cab 6'-bed diesel since 2005. They've come such a long way, diesel trucks that is. Some people hate the new DEF system, I don't mind it because the odor is now gone, they are quite. I daily drive mine, 1.5 miles to office, around town, etc. When I first bought a diesel truck I was skeptical, an older Dodge mechanic told me at the time "anyone who tells you you can't daily drive a newer diesel truck; or it will give you trouble in the winter; or if you don't tow with it regularly, yada, yada is living in the 70's" I daily drove my 04 to the tune of 8500 miles a year, never a problem; I hope my newish 2018 holds up as well. Not knocking the 1/2 ton trucks, they have come a long way as well; I've just had good luck with my diesel, actually better than I ever thought I would when I jumped into one back in 2005.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts