Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I has started to cool off in this country and the last couple days when it was around 20 to 30 degrees in the morning the general was very hard starting. It started and quit about two or three times each day then kept running after that. It was inside a garage also so it probably wasn't that cold in there. Anyone else have these problems

·
Registered
162 Posts
mine has done that since day one when colder outside.starts and dies twice right now before staying running the third time.its 25 to 40 degrees here right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Lets hope I don't that problem! just asking before you crank it do you let turn key on and let computer run threw its cycle then crank?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I let mine cycle before I try to start it. I've even tried cycling the key a couple times before starting. Nothing changes

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Heat the garage. Well, mine is a fully insulated steel building, so rarely gets below 45 degrees, even when its in the teens outside.

So hope I don't have any starting problems.

Pirate

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Mine sits up north in ma cold garage no problem one time during the summer it had to crank for a extra couple seconds more then usual.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
If it has been awhile since you have added fuel maybe with the high quality fuel we get these days the fuel is getting stale! maybe just that simple!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was about 30 degrees this morning and the general turned over for probably 20 seconds before firing and then quit twice before staying running.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It was -3 F at the hunting unit this morning (9000 ft elevation) with a foot of snow on the ground. I thought my General started just fine considering the temperature. The engine does crank a little slower, probably because the engine oil is like molasses. And the engine has to crank for a little longer time before starting (4 seconds instead of 2 seconds). But then it fired right up and idled just fine. I let it idle for a minute or so before trying to move it, and then only moved it 30 feet to pull it up next to the truck, and let it idle for several minutes while loading in our gear. The heater in the cab is a life saver at that temperature, and was working well within a few miles.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had 91 octane in a storage tank at my house I was running in the general. It was probably a month and a half old. Yesterday I filled it up at the gas station with some 87 and it started right up this morning at about 30 f. My gas must be getting bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Very possible! I use sea foam in everything that sets that uses gas I like it just for the piece of mind. That or stable oil! I prefer the sea foam but that's just my preference!

Reactions: Trapper

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Don't ever leave mine outside always inside I hope I never have to leave General outside at least not in the winter. That is another reason going to get an enclosed trailer then if ever away from home can still have General inside!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't ever leave mine outside always inside I hope I never have to leave General outside at least not in the winter. That is another reason going to get an enclosed trailer then if ever away from home can still have General inside!
Mine too! It has its own heated small garage I call " General Quarters"....:wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts