Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to be a slow and steady build after the initial necessary parts go on. So far I've collected a few parts that I'm needing to install.
-20in Nilight LED light bar
-2x Nilight 4inch triple row flood spot combo
-Shock therapy springs all the way around
-Polaris lock and ride full glass windshield
-EMP light brackets

Attachments

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The battle has just begun.
Good luck and have fun with your build.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Bakwoodz, where do you ride?

My first accessories would be: Factory UTV UHMW 1/2" skid plate set, SuperATV High Clearance A-arms, Gilomen Innovations ECU programming, Shock Therapy RIS 2 rework of Fox Podium shocks, Polaris glass rear windshield, Polaris heater/defroster kit, Polaris wiper/washer kit, Pro Armor 4 point, 2 inch wide harnesses, DragonFire Racing Harness anchor set, UTV Inc. Seatbelt override plug, UTV Inc. cooling fan override.

Mine are all accessories to make my General more powerful, better riding, more capable and more comfortable.
To each his own!!

We'll look forward to more pics of your build!!

Pirate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ride in Southwest Idaho mostly high desert and up hunting in the mountains. Just finished the 20in light bar, Polaris lock and ride full glass windshield, and Shock Therapy springs (can't swing the full RIS right now) tonight.

Most if not all of your list is on my to do list. However, in order to stay HAPPILY married I need to go slow on the mods, lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You need to tell your Better Half that you have entered an addiction and that a lot of money will be required to keep you from going into withdrawal, which is very painful and can cause severe depression. Hopefully she will understand that she needs to be prepared to sacrifice a lot to keep you from going into withdrawal.

With a little luck you'll get a few "we need" before you have to sleep in the back yard.

Can't hurt to try anyway?

Pirate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, I can't play that card with the General, my Harley, my guns, and my 69 Chevy c10 project. Luckily she's pretty understanding with it all. I'm gonna take her out this winter then she will tell me to get the heater and upper doors.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You need to buy the heater/defroster kit early in the Fall, install it, and then on a cold day show her how nice it is and wasn't it worth the "small cost".

I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado. My driveway is at 5640 ft elevation. With the heater/defroster we've been at the top of Engineer Pass at nearly 12,000 feet, in sleet. And didn't need or want upper doors. I'll put on my rain suit if its raining, sleeting or snowing...as the heater keeps the cab nice and warm.

Just thoughts.

Pirate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats very interesting, thank you. I would have thought they were pretty much useless without the upper doors and rear window. Or did you have the rear window when you installed? One more question, do you have the Rockford Fosgate system? I ask because isn't the sub under the dash right where the heater box goes?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I did order and purchase the Polaris glass front and rear windshields at the time I ordered my General Deluxe. Dec 15, 2015.

My deluxe came with an overhead sound system. I'm still as I was during 25 years of biking. No radio, so you learn to get into your own mind for music, thoughts, etc. So I have no need for a sound system that will blow my brains out.

Pirate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha, I love having tunes while riding, weather thats my bike or rigs. I don't blast the music since I have an 8yr old and my 11mo in the back. I'm sure there's a way to have both the heater and tunes though.

·
Super Moderator
4,124 Posts
Welcome to the site Bakwoodz!
building and making it yours is half the fun!

Reactions: Bakwoodz

·
Registered
847 Posts
I read this post title “Slow and Broke” and thought “hey why are they talking about me”
Just kidding
Helpful hints
The folks on this forum are from everywhere and ride every type of terrain so what really helps members help you is to:
  • Where do you live
  • What type of terrain do you mostly ride on (don’t say “trails) be specific (rocky, sandy, muddy, woods, desert, etc.)
  • Long rides, short rides, camping, toy boxing, what floats your boat!!
This will help the forum members direct you to products that will work best for you.
When you do go out on the trips, share your experiences and pictures

Welcome and happy trails Amigo

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in SW Idaho. Most my riding is high desert sandy, rocky terrain. Then hunting season is a lot of unmaintained fire roads up in the mountains. As far as distance I'd say 3-6hrs on a Saturday or Sunday so nothing to long like 40-80miles depending on stops and that. Don't know what "toy boxing" is but mainly just day trips then return to home or camp.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Slow and Broke Mr Bakwoodz,
I know the feeling, good news, there are things and ideas that don’t cost much. Here’s my list and I’m sure the members will have some great ones to add
  • A complete first aid kit with emergency contact information
  • Pirate already suggested skid plates for the rocks
  • Fire extinguisher and quick release mount
  • If your General came with a winch, assemble a recovery bag with snatch block, shackles, tree strap, towel to absorb energy if line breaks and gloves.
  • A cheap way to go for a GPS is use your phone, iPad or tablet and download GPS software. For you I’d suggest looking at Onx hunting software. Many on here use other GPS softwares. See what they say. I use LeadNav because it’s the one that works best for Baja
  • Ram mount systems for phones, GPS, hand held radio
  • Seismik mirrors, well built and great support
  • Hand windshield wiper. Go on search and look up low cost wiper ideas
  • Jeep rollbar grab straps, make it easier for wife and kids to get in and out
  • Good tire plug kit, spare inner tube
  • Bottle jack or scissor jack or Hi-Lift jack
  • Small 12volt air compressor and hose or compressed air tank
  • Assault “D” ring steering wheel, I love it, I’m 6’5” no more knees rubbing on steering wheel
  • If you ride alone, not recommended but if you do, look into a emergency transponder like SPOT, there are others out there
  • USB charging ports, there’s a ton on Amazon, I installed a dual port in my dash, one port is USB and the other is a cigarette lighter jack. Love them!
  • In cab light, with the black roof it’s hard to see at night, I have a simple battery LED light, many on the forum have in cab lighting cool set ups
  • Tow strap, tie down strap
  • Door bags. No one seems to make them for Generals but there are a ton for RZRs. I adapted some Chupacabra door bags for a RZR and they’re great
  • Outerwear pre filter socks for engine air and CVT air
  • Mountain fit Frogskin for driver side CVT grille
  • Rotopax water container, you never know what can happen Off roading
  • Rotopax fuel container, buy extra rubber gaskets, they do rot and crack after a few years
  • Army surplus ammo boxes, great for everything and cheap
Other ideas but cost a bit more
  • Rugged Radio in car Intercom and 50 watt radio with headsets or buds and mike installed in your helmets. Scrape the stereo idea, you can’t hear it when you’re going like 25 mph ( I know I’ll get heat on this, but it’s just my opinion)
  • Polaris bed extender, pricey but might be handy for hunting season
  • Four, five or six point harnesses in place of your stock three points. You can install seat pass through bezels in or not, kinda your preference and liking. Tons of info on this, go to Search. Main thing is buckle up, especially with kids
  • Complete spare tire however, this will lead you to: do you want to sacrifice the bed space? Don’t worry there a plenty of folks on this forum that have come up with creative ideas 💡 on how to carry a spare like racks and custom receiver mounts.
  • Tires: I don’t do much rock stuff so I don’t know but for high desert Tensors are great. You’ll get suggestions all over the board on what tire is best and I make it a point to post after every Baja SCORE race what tire the race teams are using, might help you.
  • Rims: beadlocks or not beadlocks? Cast, Pressure Cast, Alloy, Billet or Forged, 14” or 15” or ???” The prices are all over the board and so is quality. Best Beadlock Rims bar none are Walker Evans but break out the bank. I run cheapie 14” GMZ cast beadlocks and they are junk, but I’m old and I don’t beat on my rig so I’m ok....????
  • Shocks and springs, mucho money but a true game changer. The single best improvement I have done to my rig
Freebies or close to it
  • Assemble your tool kit and type up a list of what you have and WHERE it’s located, put in zip lock bag and stick in glove box
  • Spiff up you rig with rattle can plastic paint on stuff, I prefer no decals, I think it dates your rig like 70’s motor homes.
In closing: I’m sure you’ll get a ton more ideas from the members. Anyway I’ve attached a few pictures. My rig is set up for destination rides, which means get in drive 180 miles to San Quentin, next day drive 160 to Gonzaga Bay, etc etc. I run with all ex off road racers in their built RZRs. We’re not a fast group because we’re old but we run a respectable pace and usually make it to the bar first at the end of the day while the hot shots are still out there because they missed a turn and are lost.
So good luck and
Be safe
Be smart
Be prepared

Cheers Baja Charlie
PS toy boxing, camping with folks with toy box trailers
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
v

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. Eventually I will get there.....hopefully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. Eventually I will get there.....hopefully.
Hey how big of a difference did that dual rate spring kit make? How much of a difference was the ride height from stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Difference is night and day at speed. If you're just crawling its not as big of a difference. As far as ride height I gained about 2.5in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts