Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to die for a UHMW skid plate. I would prefer a 1/2 set. I wish Factory UTV or Trail Armor would get on the ball....lol.. I know there is one guy that is fabing out 1/4" aluminium ones and they look great but I don't want aluminium.

Reactions: Trapper and Lennie

·
Registered
291 Posts
The skids on the General are HDPE plastic. Although this is a good plastic, it only offers basic protection fer yer underbelly. It is also very susceptible the temperature differences where as in extreme cold it cracks and high heat it deforms. I have read of several instances plus have two friends that have hit rocks and the stock skid cracked and then went on to break open the tranny case.
UHMW is Ultra High Molecular Weight Plastic in which is 10 times stronger than steel and has an incredible glide coefficient for sliding over rocks or obstacles. It will not crack or deform under temp differences and distributes the forces of hard impacts really well. Now we all have different riding styles and ride in different areas. For me here in the Southwest, we mostly do slower speed trail riding that includes the knarlyest Rock crawlin we can find. We regularly do trails that you have to climb over and make yer way through bolders that are a third the size of the car. The skids become a tool just as important as the wheels and tires believe it or not. Due to the size and wheelbase of these vehicles many obstacles require ya to bounce and or hop up onto rocks so that you can then slide over. This is where you need to have confidence in a good set of skids to not only protect the vital parts of the car but also allow you to negotiate over these large obstacles.
Many folks feel as though skids are not important and to expensive. But let me tell you that a $1000 skid plate is way better than buying a new $4000 motor and trans cause ya just split the case open on a rock:surprise: All and all a good skid plate is cheap insurance for your 20+ thousand dollar machine:grin2: Always remember, protection before beautification for all investments!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
FactoryUTV UHMW skids are now available on their website.

Ordered a set of the 1/2" yesterday. At the end of the day got an e-mail that the order is complete

Too cool! Now if my General Deluxe will show up!!

Oh, and bought an Astro 1442 Rivet Nut tool and Rivet Nuts on Amazon and am going to use those for the skid bolts. They are going to be much better and much longer lasting!!

Pirate

·
Registered
291 Posts
My Ultimate 1/2" kit showed up on Friday, haven't installed it yet but there is no need for rivnuts. It uses all the factory mounting holes with about 10 new 1/4-20 drilled and tapped holes:grin2: I suppose you could rivnut those but IMO I wouldn't unless you strip out the drilled and tapped holes��

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the Factory UTV 1/2 inch ultimate kit for my XP 900 and am very happy with it.

A buddy put Trail Armor on his XP 1000 and I like how the side lip comes up and around the bottom. Has anyone gotten a skid plate from Trail Armor for their General? I'd like to see pics to figure out the difference between the skids with Standard Slider Nerfs or Trimmed for Polaris Kick Out Steel Rock Sliders. I'm guessing all the pics on their website are of the standard sliders, wondering how trimmed down the other one is.

I'm kinda wondering if I'll go with the standard sliders and not bother with the Polaris low profile steel rock sliders I bought and haven't installed yet.

I just emailed them so if they answer I'll post pics.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Can someone post a link for the UHMW skid plates on where to purchase and how much?
Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My Ultimate 1/2" kit showed up on Friday, haven't installed it yet but there is no need for rivnuts. It uses all the factory mounting holes with about 10 new 1/4-20 drilled and tapped holes:grin2: I suppose you could rivnut those but IMO I wouldn't unless you strip out the drilled and tapped holes��
Add a few more bolts by the rear hitch or else this can happen if youre pulled out of a hole in reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got some pics from Trail Armor of both standard sliders and the trimmed.

I think I'll go with the standard sliders and sell my Polaris low profile rock sliders that are still new in the box.
Does anyone have the Trail Armor standard sliders and feel they are not enough protection on the sides?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got some pics from Trail Armor of both standard sliders and the trimmed.

I think I'll go with the standard sliders and sell my Polaris low profile rock sliders that are still new in the box.
Does anyone have the Trail Armor standard sliders and feel they are not enough protection on the sides?
I have wondered how hard it would be to notch the rock slider to be able to run the tree kickers.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I got my 1/2" Factory UTV three piece skid set installed before coming to the Lost River, Rally in the Pines.

I did mount the main skid using the OEM screws. Then used the domed washer and a center punch to located the new bolt holes. Drilled at 3/16ths then 3/8ths and installed the rivit nuts. Worked just great. Then went back and took out the OEM bolts, installed Rivit Nuts and good to go!

I didn't get the "extension plate" with mine. So while one was being shipped to me, I designed my own and cut on the PlasmaCam. Installed Rivit Nuts in the plate and installed.

One issue, the front diff skid. Positioned with the tongue & groove matched up correctly. Then held in place with a clamp. Drilled the two rear holes and installed Rivit Nuts and bolts. THEN used a heavier clamp to bow the skid over the front diff bolts and the frame piece that projects down. With the skid bowed I was able to install the front bolts perpendicular to the frame. Looks great!!

On the rally rides, some rocks, and never heard the skid hit. The General really does have great ground clearance!!!

Pirate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts