Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How durable is the skid plate? I have a feeling I will have to upgrade it after seeing a friends new Ranger not make it though the first trip.... But from those who have one now.... how tough is it? I'm just saying this because here in North Carolina you can go from deep sand to stumps to hard pack to deep mud to rocks on one short trail.

Reactions: Lennie

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't have mine yet, but checked it out pretty thoroughly at the dealer. It is thin like the Ranger, but it looks like it covers more area. Its full front to back. Might be less places to snag on. Still I don't expect it to last long. Hopefully til the after market parts become available.

Reactions: chaaur

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was expecting...... I plan on putting on a strong one like the poly skid plate. Will be skidding as much as just keeping mud out. Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait a few months before I pick up a General. I don't like buying anything when its first released.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will probably get one of the Tusk skid plates but I'm not sure who has any available yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if from now till then someone fabs up a set of their own, someone with the know how and access to the right equipment will be able to do it for cheap.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm wondering if the chassis shares the same pattern as the RZR 1000s, that it many use the same available aftermarket skids. May be worth further investigation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I keep hearing how similar to the 1000s it is but when I look I see differences.

First few things I have noticed is the air intake for the clutch sticks out in the wheel well..... Which is a little scary but I plan on installing a snorkel.

Second difference I can see is that the general runs a different rear end. No trailing arms on the general.

So I don't know how much will cross over but I'm hoping they do..... That way aftermarket part will be available faster.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well I keep hearing how similar to the 1000s it is but when I look I see differences.

First few things I have noticed is the air intake for the clutch sticks out in the wheel well..... Which is a little scary but I plan on installing a snorkel.

Second difference I can see is that the general runs a different rear end. No trailing arms on the general.

So I don't know how much will cross over but I'm hoping they do..... That way aftermarket part will be available faster.

I was mainly talking about the suspension and drivetrain. The RZR 1000s has an A-Arm suspension like the General. The suspension specs match-up the same with the exception of the General having an 81" wheelbase to the RZR 1000s 79". If it shares the same under pan/layout, they may not have to do much if any mods to the current ones out for the RZR 1000s, is all I was pointing out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I installed a Trail Armor 1/2' UHMW skid plate and love it. A little pricey, but this is my 2nd one, first was on my Ranger.

I have my factory original skid plate for my 2016 General Deluxe for sale if anyone is interested. Has about 500 miles on it. In great shape. PM me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I run the FUTV 1/2" UHMW. Very good skid plate. The skid plate A-arm guards and rock sliders go for about a grand delivered. I decided I liked my low profile Polaris rock sliders better, so I didn't install the FUTV ones. There is some drilling involved to install. They are also pretty heavy. I used jack stands to hold it up while I attached it. It is a rugged as they come, and I highly recommend FUTV. Ride safe, ride insured,

Roy

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run the SSS Off-Road skid plate, in conjunction with the A-Arm Guards on my rig.
SSS OFF ROAD

I bought mine around Christmas and I got the skid for $675 shipped,....and the A-Arm Guards for $275

AND,....I sold my stock Skid-Plate to a local guy for $75,... SO,.....All in all,..... $875 for everything.

I REALLY like the fact that it has BUILT IN Rock Sliders that are part of the Skid Plate,...and not a bolt-on after thought. Even though there are some other plates out there that are 1/2" thick,.....I think this 3/8" deal is plenty.

I really like mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I will be upgrading mine in the future. Was unloading off trail the other day .The trail was not level make the ramp a little steep, well I bottomed out on trail and peeled the belly pan off. Not good lol. Used a soldering iron to remelt some similar plastic to fix metal clip holes. Could have happened out on trails as well to I guess.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts