Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my break-in period, changed all my fluids and finally gave a good run.
I had 2 bone jarring hits, one hit my tree saver / rock slider bar, and the other was a hidden tree stump that high centered me and took some work to get back off of it. I pulled the Gen up on the trailer and looked it over real well and all, to my surprise, was good, the stock plastic skid plate held up nicely, but not sure how many of those it can take??

First are the UHMW skid plates the way to go over aluminum, or is the stock skid plate good?
2nd I see that many of the skid plates have a tree saver / slider built into the outer ledge and front of the skid plates. Does anyone use these?
I kind of like the idea of the rolled lip around the edge, seems practical.
But I don't like:
The way it covers the side of the Gen and takes away from the style
and mostly it seems like it would be a mud, pebble, debris holding, nearly impossible to clean crevice.

Any first hand experience??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Last week trail riding in North Central Washington in a area heavily timbered with a lot of large Branches on the trail in some sections. Noted to be very careful riding over those larger Branches and going around whenever possible. The guy camped next to us in a Can Am had a frightening experience where a Branch broke off and came up through the Floor Board. Said it scared the crap out of him and glad he wasn’t going that fast. I looked at that hole in the Can Am Floor Board and I’ve got to get something stronger for my G2. I have heard and read about those Branches getting wedged up into the Cab and having seen it now, wow...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I hear what your saying, my nephew just 2 weeks ago in a polaris ranger was checking trail cams, ran over a part of a topped tree, hung up a little and juiced it just a little and it came through the crack between the door and the door frame, peeled the muscle right off his upper leg, 15 staples in his leg. Doc told him he was very lucky no tendon or ligament damage, will be good as new with a cool scare in 4-6 weeks. Just dam hard to drop another $500-700 when you already dropped a ton of $$$$$ on the premium model.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A skid plate is a very worthwhile mod. The factory skid is less than adequate. IMO the UHMW skids are the way to go. Really, this should be one of the first mods on the list.

Reactions: Bama Double T

·
Registered
59 Posts
For me, it wasn't one of the first things I added/replaced but it should of been.

I went with the UHMW 3/8" and low profile rock sliders & installed at the dealership.

...bump it up on the to do list is my advice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick info fellas, Hitman, do you feel the 3/8 is adequate for stumps, rocks, etc. The 1/2" seems like overkill to me, but this is my first SxS and this thing is more than twice the weight of my Can-Am ATV's, I've bounced them off rocks from 2+ feet of air with no damage (other than to my self :) ) I don't see the Gen getting 2' of air anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
You will be fine with 3/8''. Some go 1/2'' you aren't going to break 3/8''.

Reactions: Bama Double T

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about building some skid plates myself, I even have a buddy with a water cutter that can do up to 12' x 12' sheets and up to 1/2 steel, so this material would be duck-soup for him to cut out.
Butt, it's still a good amount of work and I have too many projects right now; after last weekend I need to get this on sooner than later; I just hung up with the guys at SSS Off-road, they are even going to do a little custom twist for me on the skid plate for an extra $50, guy was really helpful and seemed to know his stuff. He said they should have it shipped out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. I do not want the built in rock slider but I do want the front lip that goes up a few inches on the leading edge of the skid plate, they are going to do it. Price is as good as anyone's, or a little better and exactly what I want, I have the kickers already on and I do not like the look of the lip up the edge; their plates do go edge to edge, which is what I called to ask about.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I went with the 1/2" Factory UTV skid plate set...just cuz.

The new Factory UTV rock sliders are awesome. Use the same holes as the skid plate, so easy to install. Come up a couple of inches to protect the bottom of the door and chassis.

One thing about making your own vs Factory UTV...they come with holes that match the OEM skid plate and thus you can get it centered in place and then tighten the bolts and then drill the holes in the frame for the new bolts...and all will be centered for use with the "domed washers".

I've probably written this up half a dozen times or more...but installing your skid plate in the best way possible....

You want to..

Get a Rivet Nut kit like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TODXQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get 20 1/4x20x1" Flange head, grade 8 bolts

Use the 1/4"x20 Rivet Nuts.

So, drill all the OEM skid plate bolt holes out with a sharp 3/8" drill.

Install a Rivet Nut in each hole. Following the directions with the kit or on YouTube.

Use the OEM "domed washers" and put the new skid plate in place. Leave the bolts a bit loose so you can wiggle the skid plate around and get each of the domed washers centered in
the skid plate bolt hole detents. Then tighten all the bolts, checking to make sure the skid doesn't move.

Now the important part, place a domed washer in a new bolt hole detent and center it. Use a couple of pieces of tape, aluminum, electrical, duct tape...something that will hold the washer in place.

Now take a drill bit that is the closest to the size of the bolt hole in the domed washer and drill a hole in the frame. Remove the tape and washer, open the hole to 3/8", install a Rivet Nut,
then washer and bolt, and repeat until all the bolts are in place and tight. I use my DeWalt 20V 1/4" drive impact and run 'em up tight.

For the front and rear skids, put the skid in place, snug up against the main skid plate. Then use a couple clamps to hold in place. Do the tape and washer trick and install the bolts.

DONE...and you won't have "self threading" bolts in the thin frame tubing. You'll have good bolts with about 3/8" of thread contact. Skid will be easy to remove for annual (or so) cleaning
and or maintenance.

Pirate

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious did all models before 2020 have the full factory skid plate? I thought I read somewhere that they did not, if that's the case did Polaris add better attachment points for the full factory plastic skid?

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
My first was a 2009 RZR 800...added the Factory UTV skid plate set. Second is my 2016 General...added the Factory UTV skid plate set.

Dealer installed my first Factory UTV set...just sorta drilled holes in the center of the bolt hole...domed washers had bolt holes that had been turned into all sorts of ugly slots.
That's why I "teach" using Rivit Nuts and how to get them in the correct locations.

In each case the OEM skid plate was not good... and didn't have the front and rear skids.

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
Just curious did all models before 2020 have the full factory skid plate? I thought I read somewhere that they did not, if that's the case did Polaris add better attachment points for the full factory plastic skid?
They've always had full skids, but they are really thin. I'm running a 3/8" Tusk skid on mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They've always had full skids, but they are really thin. I'm running a 3/8" Tusk skid on mine.
Dang, I was looking for someone running the Tusk; I already ordered some but how are they? I read somewhere about them being hard to install due to mis-aligned holes, or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,012 Posts
Dang, I was looking for someone running the Tusk; I already ordered some but how are they? I read somewhere about them being hard to install due to mis-aligned holes, or something like that.
I had no trouble at all with the install. What I did have trouble with, was Fed Ex beating the crap out of the box so bad, the hardware pack, and the small rear skid fell out of a big hole in the box. Rocky Mountain helped me out, with no drama, and had replacements to me in a couple days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well shoot, I really liked there price and I've used Rocky Mt stuff on my Jeep and other ATV's for years without any problems, they are usually middle of the road quality, but more than good enough; but at the bottom, as in the best price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh well, I'll let everyone know how the young fellows do at SSS Off-road, I think they are kind of new to the game, but I'm not 100% sure. They seamed eager to please and to know what they were talking about.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah I get what your saying, I'm "Oh shoot" to that I didn't look harder at them :LOL: ; I'm with you, can't blame them for the shipper being carless.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts