Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the day yesterday installing a 42" single row light bar. The original owner of my General had some pretty...ahem...creative wiring in there. There had to have been a light bar before because there were 3 wires run up through the front pillar and into the visor. All the wires were the same color and just cut & left so that was nice :rolleyes:, but the real jewel of the thing was the cut-up flat 4 trailer wire plug they used as a connector (also hacked off). I cut all that off & replaced it with an SAE connector.
Another clue was the 2 bolts that used to mount the light bar to the visor that were just cut off and left to bounce around inside there. Sheesh!

Anyhow, after chasing the wires here & there & all over the place, I got it all sorted and installed a buss box, 80A breaker and proper relays to run the upper and lower light bars. I have them on individual switches so I can control them independently.

The lower light mounted no problem, but the upper was a stinker. I needed to make heavy steel bracket adapters and modify the hardware so the light would fit under the visor properly. To do the install I had to remove the roof, windshield, seat, hood, grille, and switch panel. It was a hassle but at least I got to learn how everything comes apart. Pretty clever, really, how it all goes together.

Anyhow, threads without pics are no fun, so here they are! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a used boat that was wired like that. After struggling to figure out what the previous guy did, I pretty much re-wired everything proper as I had a few more things to wire in.

You've got a clean looking install and I dig that single row light bar. Does it throw a lot of light? My double isn't quite as clean looking (I might tuck it under the visor with a bracket mod this summer). But I am so thankful I have it as the headlights are 80% blocked with the plow on the front. And my wife was wondering why I was installing it in late November,

I also like the Halo headlights. About how much and where did you get them?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I like the single row because it's kind of subtle looking when it's not on; not really the center of attention. It seems plenty bright and I like that it has both flood and spot sections. The headlights were on the machine when I bought it, so I don't have any info on them other than that they're also nice & bright with a great color "temp"; they're not yellow at all and not blue-ish. I've seen the stock lights & they're pretty terrible. It's surprising they wouldn't be led right from the factory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts