Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two 24" x 24" rubber backed commercial carpet squares at Menard's for $2.99 each to make floor mats with. First I used butcher paper to trace the floor shape then traced that onto the back side of the carpet squares. Finally, I cut the shape out using a utility knife from the back. The carpet squares are very firm with a thick rubber back so they don't curl or buckle or anything. They'll be simple to remove and clean when the time comes, too. Yay!

So if you're considering the pricey Polaris ones, this is a very affordable alternative.

And... I made myself a fun Star Wars style pilot "helmet" to wear. lol! I made it out of a couple of those foam puzzle mats you stand on, then I painted it, airbrushed the graphics and put a soft foam interior in for the perfect fit. I'm currently 3D printing the little communicator doohickey that goes on the egg shape on the left chin piece and I'll paint the exposed interior black. Yep, my husband does think I'm nuts. 馃ぃ 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! Thanks! I think? 馃ぃ
It was a really fun project. I've never worked with that material before so it was a great learning experience, too.

Registered
Just wondering did you grow up on a farm or ranch by chance?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
No, I'm from Southern California (Ventura County). I grew up on the beach. 馃檪

Registered
Could have fooled me and did fool me. Thought with all your know how and mechanicing you were a farm/ranch girl. Anyway you are one talented young lady and glad you joined our forum! Keep up the good work and posting.

Registered
You are craftey!!! :)

Reactions: TaterTots

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's the visor I did today. I made it out of plexiglass. All I could find was the frosted type, so I wet sanded the frosted side with 1500 grit then polished it with Mcguire's Plastix to make it transparent. I cut it to shape using tin snips and fine-tuned the shape with my Dremel with a barrel sander on it. Then, I used my heat gun to form the curve. Once I was happy with the shape, I tinted it with a scrap of mirrored tint I had left from another project.

The visor is held in place with velcro tabs on each end & a piece of butyl tape in the center. I wanted it to be easily removable. I've never made one before so I'm really happy with how it turned out. 馃榿

Registered
Well thats pretty cool....you mush have a lot of extra free time....I think if your took orders of stuff people need made you could have a pretty prosperous side business you do nice work...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!
Yep, I have a lot of free time. I consider myself very fortunate.
I do side jobs here & there for a little extra cash, but mostly I just do it to keep busy and for the love of learning new skills when the opportunity presents itself.

Registered
You are a talented woman TaterTots, you do great work!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts