Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready the thread of a members loss today prompted this thread. I love dogs and have made living for quite awhile with dogs. We all are proud of ours present and past. So show them and memorialize them here.

I have had many in my life but none more important than this one...

Harrie was imported as a KNPV PH-1 Malinois and selected to be my partner in Dec. 2007. We obtained certifications as a patrol and explosive detection K9 team.
Harrie was a passionate biter well known for his deep full mouth grip and extreme pressure. He was social and friendly, a clear headed dog. Tireless and fearless. A tough warrior of 85 lbs.
Harrie won explosive detection competitions and put these skills to use doing safety sweeps at NFL and NCAA events, Presidential and other dignitary visits and suspicious packages and other dangerous searches.
Harrie nose in locating critical evidence lead to the resolution of many felony cases by locating crime scenes, cartridge casings, knives and other items. His reputation for "article searches" caused other agencies to call upon him and to encourage others to learn the training technique.
Harrie protected officers by assuming the risk of entering buildings in search of suspects. Trailed murderers, robbers, burglars and the like. In one case he extracted a trouble combat vet out of a car and away from weapons; certainly saving his life and preventing the suicide by cop scenario the soldier was planning.
Harrie led and kept me safe until Aug. 2013 when injuries forced his retirement.
Harrie was never predicted to survive this long. He fought knee and wrist injuries, working a few years with these. Laryngeal Paralysis brought him to early retirement which caused overheating issues in the Arizona desert. Later a cancerous tumor was removed and neuropathy became his enemies.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
You're experience with working dogs is pretty awesome. I thank you and them for your service.

I have a 7 year old mutt. His name is Ash (we call him Ashton Poocher). He's been my best buddy. He is super smart and obedient.

We just got our new puppy last week. She's almost 5 months. Boerboel Mastiff (South African). She came to us, because we hired a guy to haul gravel, she was riding around with him. My girlfriend fell in love at first sight. The gentleman wasn't sure if he was going to keep her. I offered to take her, and so glad I did. She's an absolute sweet heart.

IMG_20130410_184227_1568553715008.jpg The mutt as a pup.
IMG_20161018_212617773_1568553916080.jpg Ashton looking dapper
Attach23096_20190913_101214_1568554069735.jpg the newest member of the family
Screenshot_20190913-144407_1568554163826.jpg look at them paws!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Taylie(Coon hound/Beagle mix) and Bode.(You name it, he has it)

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is Trixie Belle. She is 1 year old today. She is a toy Aussie. She's13 pounds and that about all the bigger she is going to get. Still a bit nervous in vehicles, but she seems to tolerate the General better than the truck. I think she likes the wind in those ears when I got the windshield cracked open.

She is my 3rd Aussie, but my first toy or mini one. When my last Aussie passed, I wanted another Aussie. The wife wanted a small dog, so we compromised and got a small Aussie.

Pound for pound, she has more personality than most people.

Tim

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
My furry best friend is a dog that has the worst rep. because of a few bad owners a pit have had a few and all have been sweet hearts!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great pics of your dogs and good thread. We've only really had our General for the fall and winter, so our dog Sam hasn't even ridden in it yet.

For some reason we've always gravitated towards the working/herding dogs. I had a Sheltie when I was a kid named Skippy. He was smart and a bit nuts. Good dog that we lost at 8 years old when I was away at college.
My wife and I got a black and white Border Collie puppy named Molly when we moved into our first house before we had kids. She was about as smart of a dog as you'd find. Her knowledge of English language was insane. Smarter than some humans I know, which is rather strange. Lived 12 great years with our family and young girls.
And now we have Sam who is an Aussie mix that was a rescue from Arkansas (2-3 when we got him). He's probably around 9 now. Really great dog that is also pretty darn smart. Thinks he's a 45 lb lap dog and enjoys just about every comfort a dog could. His favorite spot is sleeping on my pillow. He's nuts about sniffing out deer, rabbits, squirrels; just about anything that moves in the woods. Funny pic of him with him putting up with our daughters, though I don't seem to have any better ones on my phone at the moment.
Not sure if we'll get another dog. Soon we'll need to be mobile visiting kids at College or post College. But the memories and love a dog provides are priceless!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
One other thing to mention is I highly recommend getting a rescue dog (of any breed). The puppies always go first, but getting a young adult dog is almost perfect IMO. Usually they have been fostered and are already house/potty trained, not teething, a little less destructive and crazy, etc. Ours did run on us a couple times before he figured that his new family was permanent. But otherwise it was an almost perfect experience. We went in to adopt a rescue Border Collie pups and ended up taking home Sam since he was so chill and took to our family on our visit.

I'm not the biggest fan of puppy mills and the conditions therin.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found this 14 month old Dutch shepard in a rescue. Dog had been returned twice. Tested her and now she will have a chance at police work. academy starts March 2!

Unfortunately due to the publicity of the use of Belgian Mals and Dutchies in the GWOT, people have been buying these. The rescues then fill up with them. Please don’t ! Either the breeds will get ruined by breeding their drives down or they get destroyed. These are working dogs and most cannot handle their energy. In most cases these are not pets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts