Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member from Missouri shopping for a 2019/2020 General. I am trying to educate myself about the model differences before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Go for the General XP 1000. They come set up from the factory as they should have at they were first marketed! I own a 2020 G4 XP 1000 after owning a 2018 G4 for 5000 miles. Great too, but the improvements on the XP is worth the extra bucks in my opinon. :) :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bought my 2019 G2 Ride Command one year ago and had I known the XP was going to be available for 2020 models I would have ordered one. Upgrades on the XP if you have the money and fit your trail riding terrain that would be the option to consider.

Reactions: johnone

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my last Ranger just before the General came out... I wanted one as soon as I knew about them! I bought a new XP a few weeks ago, zero regrets, it's done everything we've thrown at it with a smile! Wait, maybe it was my wife and I smiling! Either way, it's a great machine!

Happy shopping, 🍻

·
Registered
900 Posts
My two pesos worth

There are two approaches
  1. Buy the top of the line and get what Polaris thinks you want​
  2. Buy the cheapest and build it with the things you want​
Being a lifelong Jeeper we always said “Real Jeeps are built not bought”

I get it if some of your don’t wrench on your rigs, I see a lot of “took it to the dealer” posts on the forum.

I’m old school and try to do all my own mechanical work

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's exciting to think about buying new stuff, but I think about selling stuff too (sometimes even before I even get it).
That said, think about resale too. Generally speaking a factory model will pull more resale than a custom built version. Think of trucks, I'll pick on Ford here- Resale related, would you pay the same price for a XL model that someone added leather seats and a bunch of crap to that you would pay for a Lariat that came with the nicer stuff?

But, building stuff can be rewarding! So, either is a good path, depending on what you're into.

Just my two cents, ;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's exciting to think about buying new stuff, but I think about selling stuff too (sometimes even before I even get it).
That said, think about resale too. Generally speaking a factory model will pull more resale than a custom built version. Think of trucks, I'll pick on Ford here- Resale related, would you pay the same price for a XL model that someone added leather seats and a bunch of crap to that you would pay for a Lariat that came with the nicer stuff?

But, building stuff can be rewarding! So, either is a good path, depending on what you're into.

Just my two cents, ;)
FYI
Two pesos is worth . 40 cents
Not quite a penny
Cheers

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah I bet the XP’s are awesome. I have a low mile ‘17 Dlx that we bought used last year. Mainly for some work and light towing but with more bonus trail riding around our cabin than I think we thought we’d do.

It does seem like you could pull up a std or Dlx model close to an XP for just a little less, but not quite get there. For me I always like to plan, buy, and install the mods. That’s just the fun part for me. Of course you can add lots of mods to an XP too, but it’s already a pretty spendy machine.

Do what makes you happy and try to think about what you’ll use it for. Good luck!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Greetings from El Paso

Reactions: johnone

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m in Southern Missouri in the Ozarks too and I can say there is a night and day difference in the ride and drive of a 2019 General 4 and a 2020 XP 4. I bought a 19 just before XPs came out and wished I had waited immediately. With the used market so hot I decided to sell my 19 and upgrade. I just got my new XP4 from S&H in Rogersville a couple weeks ago. I thought about just doing all the upgrades to the 19 and after getting the 2020 I am glad I didn’t. I like working on my stuff, but don’t have enough time to do all of the stuff I would’ve had to do to get it to the 2020. There are still plenty of accessories to add to any machine after the fact if that’s you’re thing. If not, the XP is pretty loaded and it won’t disappoint. The trails are pretty rough around Table Rock Lake, so I really appreciate the better ride in the XP!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome from NW Mississippi! Heading to the Ozarks at the end of September for four days of riding can’t wait. As far as a new machine goes, get what you are comfortable with. I personally internet shop everything. Saved several thousand but had to drive 6 hours to pick it up, more money for the options. Your close enough to Abernathys to make it worry your while , try giving them a call.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m in Southern Missouri in the Ozarks too and I can say there is a night and day difference in the ride and drive of a 2019 General 4 and a 2020 XP 4. I bought a 19 just before XPs came out and wished I had waited immediately. With the used market so hot I decided to sell my 19 and upgrade. I just got my new XP4 from S&H in Rogersville a couple weeks ago. I thought about just doing all the upgrades to the 19 and after getting the 2020 I am glad I didn’t. I like working on my stuff, but don’t have enough time to do all of the stuff I would’ve had to do to get it to the 2020. There are still plenty of accessories to add to any machine after the fact if that’s you’re thing. If not, the XP is pretty loaded and it won’t disappoint. The trails are pretty rough around Table Rock Lake, so I really appreciate the better ride in the XP!
:) It appears that S&H sold the 2019 that I'd been watching anyway... :) I'm in the middle of moving this week, so this acquisition is probably going to have to wait a little while.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You will benefit from an XP purchase in more than one way.
1. resale. You just don’t get return on investment with accessories. Period. When you sell or trade, they are free to the new buyer. It’s the way It goes.
2. The XP has some built in engineering that will be impossible to replicate on a budget build. The frame is not only gusseted in the A-Arm mount area, it’s a one piece frame. Some say this improvement is anecdotal, but me coming from a Honda Pioneer 1000 that has A-Arm mount issues and frame issues, I don’t consider it anecdotal. The A-Arms on the XP offer different mounting points for the shocks allowing for more suspension travel. Park the two together. The difference is obvious. All the other stuff can be added to a Base model, it these two features are worth the cost of entry IMO. “My two loonies”. (I live near the Canadian border).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts