Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a Classified Ad but didn't know where else to post. So I went to my dealer today interested in trading in my 2018 General Ride Command on a 2019 RZR Ride Command. My General has never been on a dirt road much less mud, has 39.9 hrs on it and has roof, winch, full, fold down windshield, light bar, rock sliders and GrizzzTek Fender Flares. They want $19, 599.00 for the 2019 RZR RideCommand and offered me $11,000.00 for my General so $8599.00 difference on my end. I still would need to add at a minimum roof, front bumper, windshield and light bar. Winch really isn't needed. Pretty sure I can get more than $11K for my General.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
That's the problem when one goes to trade something in. They literally bend you over and you know the rest.

Reactions: Okie5561947

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem when one goes to trade something in. They literally bend you over and you know the rest.
Absolutely and the dealer knows how picky I am about my ride! Not mad at them but, if I sell mine I'll shop around more for a new RZR than I normally would.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I usually check with Abernathy's and get their price and then shop around to see how close the local dealers can come.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually check with Abernathy's and get their price and then shop around to see how close the local dealers can come.
Where are you located?
East Texas, Longview.

Just got a text from the dealer saying the difference they quoted me included a 5 year Polaris Extended Warranty, which I didn't ask for so now I need them to remove that and see where we are. Pretty sure will still be way apart but at least then I can have a true trade in value.

·
Registered
2019 General G2 Ride Comand
172 Posts
Yesterday I was in the Polaris Dealer where I bought my 2019 G2 Ride Command inquiring about ext warranty options which is another issue in itself. I asked about a Trade in for my 19 towards the new 2020 G2 with like options on my 19. The cost of the 2020xp is in the range of $25,000 plus. As for trade in with only 17 hours I would take a huge loss, I was basically told to sell it outright and come back and make us a offer. After reviewing the warranty language and conditions for denial of claims I’m not going to spend $1,900 for a five year Warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont know which dealer you went to, but Jackrabbit powersports is not too far from you. You can also check with mine Gainesville, TX. Ask for Riley. They were going to give me $1000 more than anyone else. I sold it for $3000 above that, so there is no doubt you could sell it for more. I've got a buddy thats just started kicking the tires on generals, so if you're gonna sell it shoit me a price.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not really sure why you guys are shocked at the trade in value of these machines when there is such a disparity in prices from dealer to dealer on new ones a new machine that one dealers sells for say 19000 another dealer will sell for 16000 your not going to get top dollar on a machine that has any hours on it. Go buy a new truck say at 50000 keep it a year then go try to trade it in your going to get 35-40k offers or lower then the dealer will turn around and sell it for 45K. They have the luxury if time on their side and you want a different machine....just remember this these dealer are counting on us to always want something different, be happy with what ya got and get out and ride....Happy Riding!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
These are products where you need to ride the value out of them over time. Then get a new one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
These are products where you need to ride the value out of them over time. Then get a new one.
Well said, I have been riding the valve out of all my other Polaris machines and whatever I could sell them for would be bonus money but none of them are for sale 1998 400 Scrambler (love this machine) 2006 Sportsman 800, 2008 Sportsman 500 touring, 2018 General currently 1050 miles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont know which dealer you went to, but Jackrabbit powersports is not too far from you. You can also check with mine Gainesville, TX. Ask for Riley. They were going to give me $1000 more than anyone else. I sold it for $3000 above that, so there is no doubt you could sell it for more. I've got a buddy thats just started kicking the tires on generals, so if you're gonna sell it shoit me a price.
Hey Chad I'm away from my tablet and not sure how to navigate from my phone. I'll get back with you tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Being an old geezer the part that bothers me about either trading or selling outright is the accessories that we added on. If you are darn lucky you can get half their value and if not lucky you just give them away with the vehicle. Doesn't matter car, pickup, or toy. Bad enough buying something new then we add on all the other things that we want or need.
We usually try to sell ours outright and buy with no trade in. We get their trade price and sometimes we have to deal awhile to get it that half way makes sense and then figure out if we buy straight out the extra sales tax we have to pay if not trading in. With our Polaris toys we have gotten 15 % discount on parts and accessories along with free accessory installs. This was in NoDak and SoDak and haven't tried dealing for one yet down here in AZ.
Also we always order our vehicles and toys so we get on them what we want. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks to get and sometimes it takes 4 months. Just never know. This works for us and i know it won't work for everyone.
One has to remember not to be in "love" with a vehicle or toy and to price it realistically. We take very good care and some with say we baby our vehicles and toys so they are in very nice shape when we get rid of them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Being an old geezer the part that bothers me about either trading or selling outright is the accessories that we added on. If you are darn lucky you can get half their value and if not lucky you just give them away with the vehicle. Doesn't matter car, pickup, or toy. Bad enough buying something new then we add on all the other things that we want or need.
We usually try to sell ours outright and buy with no trade in. We get their trade price and sometimes we have to deal awhile to get it that half way makes sense and then figure out if we buy straight out the extra sales tax we have to pay if not trading in. With our Polaris toys we have gotten 15 % discount on parts and accessories along with free accessory installs. This was in NoDak and SoDak and haven't tried dealing for one yet down here in AZ.
Also we always order our vehicles and toys so we get on them what we want. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks to get and sometimes it takes 4 months. Just never know. This works for us and i know it won't work for everyone.
One has to remember not to be in "love" with a vehicle or toy and to price it realistically. We take very good care and some with say we baby our vehicles and toys so they are in very nice shape when we get rid of them.
One thing going for me is I have a Texas Ag Card and pay no taxes on parts or a new machine so buying outright without a trade-in is not an issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was at Jackrabbit Offroad in Marshall, TX. We also have another Polaris dealer here in Longview, Dirty Deeds Powersports but they are usually way higher than JR OFFROAD. Probably still can't make a deal but I need to find out how much they added for the 5 year extended warranty that I never ask for. I know on my General the 18 month Polaris extended warranty was $1000.00. No telling how high the 5 yr is.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Guessing it will be around 2 grand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My brother just recently spoke with jackrabbit and then at outdoor powersports in Gainesville and Gainesville won out again. That's not trading it in, that's just buying. I think selling it is the way to go. There is always someone looking to by a good,used machine. Give me a price and I'll pass it along to my buddy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
After turf mode blew on my G4, while it was at the dealer, I had discussed with the owner leaving it there if Polaris didn’t cover the cost of repair. So whatever they were to offer me would be less the repair cost as well. Keep in mind the replacement diff. Cost $3800 !
Anyway Polaris covered the repair, but now I was scared to drive it.....
Which made me interested in trade for a sportsman 1000 deluxe. EVEN TRADE I was told($12k).... paid 20k for G4 plus approximately 5k in accessories and with only 498 miles. Talk about a beating !

On the other hand my sportsman 850xp new in 2013 cost $8999.... got $5200 for it private sale ! Proceeds went into the G4, what was left after the wife put her hand out anyway.....?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts