Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to share my observations on Installing Shock Therapy DRS springs on my 2020 4 1000 Deluxe w/ Fox 2.0 Podium QS3 shocks and give my thoughts on the kit and ride.

I want to start by saying the reason I decided to go with the DRS kit only and not the RIS System is because most of my riding is done on dirt roads and old railroad beds and nothing hardcore and all I wanted to do was to get rid of the annoying sag of the stock springs and at the same time smooth out the potholes and washboard. I had my first chance to run the buggy this weekend and give it a proper test and all I have to say is WOW. This set up is so much better than stock and I can only imagine how nice the RIS system would be on top of it. I was running down dirt roads around 50mph and intentionally trying to hit the bad spots and the suspension was sucking them right up. I couldn’t even feel the medium to low potholes and washboards and would just feel a small bump on the deep ones where it used to rattle the teeth. The car also now sits more level and the ride height is where it should be with my tire size. I am so glad I went this route over tender springs. Its is defiantly money well spent.

Ordering the shocks was a breeze on ST website. I put in all my weights and told them my riding style and gave them as much information as I could. The site said things could be delayed but I received my kit in 4 days to Michigan. Opening the Box everything was packed nice in foam, and they threw in a few ST Swag Stickers. My only minor complaint with this is they do not provide the installation directions and you need to go to their website for the information.

As for the installation it wasn’t a hard job just a time-consuming job to get everything set up right. I started off my doing my research. I watched many Shock Therapy Installation videos and other Videos out there, read threads on this forum, and printed out and read the directions for the non XP General off their website. I hear of some people doing this job without a spring compressor, but I just don’t see doing it without one.

As for spring compressors the one they use in their video (Press Style)makes it look so easy and I’m wishing I had one like it but didn’t want to spend that much money for one. It looks like this:

Auto part Font Machine Art

I picked up the one shown below 1st at Harbor Freight, and it WILL NOT WORK. The hooks are too big for the ST springs which hug the shock body so do not get this one. AutoZone sells the same one so Amazon is probably the way to go of you are using handheld models.

Font Fashion accessory Auto part Event Machine

I ended up going with the style shown below which was a little pricey and worked for me using the smallest jaw size. It fit the springs nicely, but I still had to monkey with it through the process.

Light Azure Toy Rectangle Font
Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Cameras & optics Gear
Coil Camera accessory Coil spring Gas Engineering

Below are a couple other models I’ve read on this forum that work as well at 1/2 the price:

Tool Font Auto part Household hardware Cylinder
Product Tool Font Material property Auto part

Installation:

On the front shocks I set the preload and crossover rings to ST recommended starting point and then compressed the springs and was able to get them put on the shocks. The only issue I had is with my spring compressor it was bending the spring towards the compressor and was having trouble getting the rings on the tops of the springs. I solved this by putting the compress lower on the spring and leaving myself room at the top to push the top part of the spring over by hand then slowly letting off the compressing and it went into place. Pushing on the side of a compressed spring I’m sure wasn’t the safest way to do this. On the rear shocks I got smart and ignored setting the preload rings to the recommended distances and had the preload rings about one inch away and the springs went right on. Then what I did was just compress the spring until it would come ¼” down the top spring collar then hand crank in preload till it tightened up and repeated till I got to the proper measurement. I felt totally safe with that method because if the spring compressor let loose everything was still in place.

ST says to set the start of the top and bottom springs 180 deg apart and that’s a good starting point. One thing to check right after you get the springs on the shocks is to see if the springs have clearance around the crossover rings. 3of 4 of mine did and one the spring was pushed up tight to the crossover ring. On the one that was off I ended up compressing one spring and rotating the other spring until the crossovers were more centered in the spring. This is easier to do before you put the shocks on the car.

Other than that, the install was straight forward. The toe trick ST shows in their videos to get the lower shock bolt in didn’t work well for me, but I got them in. They make it look easy, but they do a ton of them where as I’ve done one.

Adjustments for Preload and Crossover rings:

ST recommended ride heights for the non XP general was 12.5 in the rear 13 in the front. I made the assumption that is based off 27” stock tires so I added 1” to those numbers based off my 30” tires(measured 29”). You do need to settle the suspension and should take the measurements with the driver in the car. Watch the ST video on this process. To change the preload in the rear I jacked up the car and used my spring compressor to take some of the load off the springs and made the adjustments with the adjustment wrench. On the fronts there wasn’t much room so I took the shocks back off and too the vice I went and adjusted them there. One thing I want to point out is on the directions for the non XP General it says for in the front 1” of preload equals 2” of ride height and in the rear 1” of preload equals 1” of ride height. I went by that on my 1st adjustment and found my front measurement was dead on and my rear moved double. Therefore, I don’t believe the directions are correct. It should say 1” of preload equals 2” of ride height both front and rear. Once I had the ride heights then I adjusted the crossover rings. I found it easy to do while on the car. Because my floor jack was there and handy I did jack up or lower the car down slightly to get the rings in between the coils for easy spinning.

These are just my thoughts for whatever they are worth. I typed this 100mph so will spell check it later…lol

· Registered
6,045 Posts
Agreed. Good write-up.
Wondering what that first spring compressor costs? Bet it isn't cheap.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. Good write-up.
Wondering what that first spring compressor costs? Bet it isn't cheap.
The JackTech Press one is around $520. It would sure make thing easier but hard to spend that on a few times of use. The Harbor Freight / Autozone one that doesn't work cost around $30. I can return it though because I did not use it.

Reactions: Johnny 7

· Premium Member
2020 XP1000 2 seater
66 Posts
I too put on the Shock Therapy dual rate springs. Had kind of a battle using spring compressor similar to the Harbor Freight one shown in your pic. Paid about $30 for it.
Took the machine, a 2020 General XP 1000, out on the trails and I love the ride. Much improved. I am a 78 year old guy and need cushy. The dual rate springs take the harshness and violence out of ungroomed trails. I can enjoy the beautiful scenery instead of looking forward down the trail to drive around the holes and bumps.
Put 91 miles on the first ride thru northern Wi, beautiful fall colors by the way, one of the nicest rides of the year. Anyway, the springs made the ride a lot smoother. Looking forward to the next ride. A bunch of us meet at the cafe and then go out and ride the trails every Wednesday. Pretty fortunate eh?

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Amigos,
One stupid question.
Why didn’t you just send your stock shocks/springs to Shock Therapy and let them change the springs? That’s what they do. As you know they have a form that you fill out that tells them just about everything that they need to know to set up your shocks/springs for what you typically drive on. I got my shock/springs from them, bolted them on and I had to make a one time adjustment to the rear Shock setting (1 click softer) that’s it. I took my rig out the next day for a short little trip (375 miles in Baja) and they were incredible. Haven’t changed a thing since then (2 years ago)

Just my two pesos worth Amigos

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS when I worked for Cadillac in 72, one of the mechanics there had a spring hit him in the arm when his spring compressor broke. Ouch (broke the s_ _t out of his arm) two pesos!!!!

· Registered
General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition, Shock Therapy, Rugged Radio, Factory UTV Skid, Hunterworks
521 Posts
Amigos,
One stupid question.
Why didn’t you just send your stock shocks/springs to Shock Therapy and let them change the springs? That’s what they do. As you know they have a form that you fill out that tells them just about everything that they need to know to set up your shocks/springs for what you typically drive on. I got my shock/springs from them, bolted them on and I had to make a one time adjustment to the rear Shock setting (1 click softer) that’s it. I took my rig out the next day for a short little trip (375 miles in Baja) and they were incredible. Haven’t changed a thing since then (2 years ago)

Just my two pesos worth Amigos

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS when I worked for Cadillac in 72, one of the mechanics there had a spring hit him in the arm when his spring compressor broke. Ouch (broke the s_ _t out of his arm) two pesos!!!!
BajaCharlie, I assumed there was an additional charge for service?

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I guess for me I didn't think it would be too hard of a job and I didn't feel like hassling with setting up an appointment with ST, getting shipping boxes around, and shipping them my shocks for a spring change. I guess I just also enjoy the challenges and working on new things and felt confident I could get it done which I have.

Besides if I mailed them in I would have been too tempted to go with their RIS system versus just the springs....lol

· Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,316 Posts
I've looked at just the springs. If I were to do springs only, I know I'm more than capable of doing it. So I'm inclined to fo so. Plus I get to use my machine while I wait for the springs to show up and I assume there's a charge to put the springs on so I'd save that cash too... now if I were doing the shock valving and springs. They'd obviously get sent in, but the way it sounds the springs are the biggest improvement

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Amigos and Amigas,
The premier off road race in North America is coming up in November, the Baja 1000 and this year’s race is to La Paz. The number one Shock guy for the UTVs is Shock Therapy. Justin (Shock Therapy owner) will be racing this year’s race with his team in his Can Am. Go on the SCORE website and see how many of the UTVs are sponsored by or list Shock Therapy as their shock of choice. As one of the main race sponsors, Polaris keeps a sharp eye out for products and providers and enlists their expertise to improve their own vehicles, including the General. Justin maintains a good relationship with the Fox guys and others and his company’s is top notch for ride improvements.

Just my two pesos worth

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS heading out tomorrow to San Felipe with the truck and the General on a trailer. Wifey and me will be on the other side of the peninsula in two weeks........life is good!!!!!!!

· Registered
2018 General Ride Command
4 Posts
I too did the spring kit, first off. The improvement was drastic just like everybody says. Then after a year of riding I had a front shock starting to leak so I sent them to Shock Therapy for a rebuild and there ride improvement sys. The RIS system is every bit as impressive improvement as the spring alone. Shipping from the Eau Claire Wi area out there was almost $150 and was just over $ 50 on the way back Shock Therapy helps with the return. The difference between just the springs and the complete sys is drastic in a couple of ways. The shocks now use there full travel effectively.
The soft setting has a lot more side to side sway and takes some getting used to in spirited corning. The pay off is worth it because it will almost completely absorb washboarded roads from about 10mph and up even the foot high ones and keep it's manners and control well into the 50mph + range. At the same time it will take a major hit and not bottom out. Machine also tracks way better in a rutted up corner it doesn't step out it stays on its line much better than it did before.
The second setting , will take G outs and very large hits better than the stock fully cranked and still soak up the small stuff better stock. The body roll or sway is also drastically reduced. The couple of times I've driveways the landings where much more controlled than I remember the stock set up it decelerates The landing if that makes any sense much smoother. I've never bottomed out this setting yet.
I honestly haven't played much with the stiffest setting. I've used it a couple of times on long blacktop road rides takes out all the body roll will still soak up a pothole.
It has made the whole driving experience much more comfortable and confident. I enjoy riding with my adult children and there sport utvs and it's aloud me to more than keep up with them without upsetting my wife or beating up her artificial knees and hip. I consider it a compliment when my 35yr old son says I scare him in the passenger seat and he drives a sport utv. Shocks pretty much stay in there softest setting unless it's just the boys out riding and then only to the second setting.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a question regarding the ST dual rate kit I just notice that after getting everything adjusted with the shocks off the machine (no load) I set the crossover rings as indicated in the instructions 2” up from the spring divider in the rear and 1” in the front. So no problem their when I install on the machine and add the weight of the machine to the shocks I am pretty much touching the crossover rings, is this correct? Or do the crossover rings get set when the weight of the machine is on the shocks?

Ok, think I found my own answer this adjustment is made with the driver and passenger in the car and would only stand to reason that it is done with the weight of the machine on the shock…..Read the instructions dummy ……If I am wrong on this let me know…..Thanks..

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I set mine with the weight in the vehicle after the ride heights were correct.

Reactions: deanrowski
1 - 20 of 50 Posts