Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One good and one ugly!

Project started out as a move of my favorite RZR shift lever and shift knob to the General. Turned into quite a bit more. Some tips that other may find useful.

First, as described on page page 6.5 of the General Service Manual, Item 2. "remove the fasteners securing the LH center console panel.

That turned into about a 4 hour PITA!!!

Here's a pic of the LH center console panel:

A whole lot larger that I figured. The push rivets that hold it to the side of the center console...easy to remove. The four bolts that hold it to the floor panel, easy to remove.

Then figuring out that you have to remove the push rivets holding the two console panels together inside that "hole" Polaris left. OK, not hard to find and remove.

Use my push rivet tool with a wide front to separate the clips holding the LH console handle to the center center console and the dashboard. Not bad, but there's that heater duct head that's connected to the heater duct with a zip tie. Have to reach behind the console panel and cut the zip tie. OK...but the danged thing still won't come out.

So feeling around under the dash I can feel two "somethings" through the console panel. Turns out there are two push rivets located there, and they were pushed in from the inside, so what I can feel is the pointed end of the expanded push rivet.

Here's a pic of those two holes:

Found it impossible to get to the push rivet heads from inside the console so just would up cutting them off from the outside. That got the LH console panel loose, but not quite. Turns out the seat belt anchor is in the way and you have to try to raise the console panel over it. Nope, not with a seat belt or harness attached to the anchor point. So took the harness loose and finally the console panel comes out by lifting the rear and then twisting it out towards the driver door. WHEW!!!!

Page 6.5, Item 5 says "remove shift boot and then pull shift lever down through opening in center console." THAT is a very misleading sentence. What you must do is push in at the bottom of the boot so that it pops up through the center console and you raise it up to the larger knob section of the lever.

So now back to page 6.5 of the service manual. "Shift Lever Replacement. That doesn't seem to bad, but then I find that the "clip pin" holding the shift cable to the shift lever was pushed in from the back...and you can't even see that, except with a mirror. Can you get something in there to pull the "clip pin", well NO, not without pulling the shift lever off its mounting pin.

Shouldn't be too bad, but then no, the center console piece has to be lifted up as the molded piece has the side turned down for connecting the LH & RH console panels. So I remove the two push rivets under the center console cover. That allows me access to the "cir clip" holding the shift lever on the mounting pin. Get that done, remove the clip the steel washer and the plastic bushing.

To get the lever off the mounting pin I had to twist the shift lever towards the rear and sort of "walk the lever off the mounting pin".

So I did that and got the OEM shift lever off the mounting pin and was then able to remove the clip and take the shift cable off the shift lever.

But looking at the OEM shift lever with the boot on it...there ain't no way I'm going to get that small rectangular opening at the top of the boot over the shift knob or the tube section that goes over the shift lever mounting pin. How do they put these together???

So, exercised the only option I could come up with and cut the OEM shift lever...

So I put the boot over my favorite UTV Inc. shift lever, install the lever over the mounting pin and connect the shift cable...this time with the clip from the front. Push the shift lever....nothing happening, feels loose. So I give up and tear the shift cable boot so that I can inspect the cable...MANGLED!! Must happen when I was working to twist the shift lever to get it off the mounting pin.

Here's what I found:

And NOPE, you can't straighten that cable so that it works.

So NOTE TO ALL, before doing anything with the shift lever, you must find a way to get the shift cable clip off and remove the cable end from the shift lever!!

Fortunately I purchased a spare cable so I will install that and move on.

NOTE TO ALL, I have always carried a spare shift cable in my Lock N Ride box on either the RZR 800 or now the General. There is no reason to carry the spare cable with you as there is no way you'll be willing to do what I have described just to get to the shift lever end of the cable. But remember the General will start in any gear and you can shift gears by moving the lever at the transmission to get you back to camp.

Go to the right rear wheel well and you will see the shift cable where it attaches to the transmission and where it disappears in all those other cables and hoses.

So, to get the new cable in place. I took the small black plastic bushing out of the shifter end of the old cable and the transmission end of the new cable, laid them together and connected them with two small zip ties:

Then slowly begin pulling the old cable from the wheel well and with a bit of work, the new cable will be pulled into exactly the same path as the old cable.

Count the number of exposed threads on the transmission end adjustment of the old cable and set the new cable the same:

It turns out this will set the adjustment of the new cable the same as the old cable and the transmission shifting should work fine. Time will tell, but I think I'm right.

So my favorite shift lever is now installed, the boot is in place...as remember like a RZR 800 you can remove the shift knob. The shift cable is connected to the shift lever.

So put the center console piece in place and reinstall the push rivets. DONE

Now reverse the process of removing the LH console panel...insert the forward end down by the gas pedal and begin pushing down on the rear and so help me...it just popped into place. I got the LH console panel clipped to the center console piece and dash board first. Then started at the rear and put in the push rivets, then the four bolts at the floor board, then the two push rivets in the opening in the console, and then the two up under the dash...this time from the outside where I can get at them if need be in the future.

And voila, there is it installed and working fine!!

So hopefully a lot of tips others can use as I worked my way through this "simple" project!!!

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
That was something I was hoping to change also but have not got around to yet THANKS! now should be a little less of a hasle! :grin2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Off topic here Pirate, but what do you use to upload pictures? Only reason I ask is I can't see any of the pictures, but I'm at work and know that some sites that hold pictures I can't see but usually there's an image and it shows that I can't see. But on yours there is none of this, it's just blank space where it would be.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, I use Photobucket for storing photos for upload.

I can see them on my PC and wife's Mac Book Pro.

Wonder if you have a setting keeping you from seeing the pics?

I'm using that wonderful Windows 10, but I can also see them on a Windows 7 and a Windows XP machine.

Hmmmm....

Pirate

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh no it's my work network that won't let me see photobucket. I was just wondering because usually it shows a "X" window and I know what it's from but yours weren't even showing that. May be a new setting on our network. I'm at home now and see them perfect. Not problem on your end, just my work computer end.

And yes I want to do the same thing. But I just need the lever with no handle and they won't sell it to me. I don't want to pay 140 for it all when I just need the lever. I've got my grenade that I've used on my Teryx that I want to use but maybe one day I'll pay that price and get it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...mine is a two piece shift lever so that you can turn the curved upper piece in either direction. Ah ha...mine is a Dragonfire Racing shift lever. It lists for $114, but I think I got it for less by not buying their billet shift knob.

Might be able to save a few bucks...

Pirate

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skidz,

Kinda busy this evening...but did happen on the package for the shifter I'm using today while sorting stuff in the shop...while is poured rain outside....

Dragonfire DFR-2BRSS2

"Aero Style Short Shifter Assy - Anodized Black"

Hope this info is helpful,

Pirate

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all that read this post....

LEARNED SOMETHING TODAY.

I've changed out a couple of shift cable on my 2009 RZR 800. They both failed at the "crimp" under the rubber boot at the transmission.

So I've never looked at the shift lever end of the cable.

Today I took the General shift cable that I thought I had ruined and pulled the boot off the adjustment fitting. What do you know, there is the same "tube within a tube" at the shift lever end.

So I used two pairs of pliers and carefully straightened the cable. Made sure both of the "tube within a tube" tubes were undamaged. And then crammed the rubber boot and clamp over the end of the adjustment fitting.

Cable works just fine now.

Just sharing what I continue to learn....

Pirate

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pirate,

I'm just reading an older post of yours regarding changing the shifter.

I want to replace my stock shifter and install one from UTV inc but have to say, this job sounds a little scary.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hitman,

Want a great suggestion...look at replacing your stock shift with a GearGrabberShifters gated shifter.

Communicated with the owner several times...but you can slam the shifter forward into Reverse you can slam it back and into Low. You can just pop it forward and it stops in Neutral.

Pull the lever in and shift to Park or to High.

Here's a link to one of their YouTube videos

here's a link to their website:

Fits: Polaris "The General" - geargrabbershifters

The instructions seem to make for a troublefree install! I'm wanting one with an orange anodized or cerrakote finish.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very cool !!!

Pirate, so if I chop off the top of shifter with a grinder it should just be a matter of getting the consol up & over out of the way, then remove the old and install the new.....I think?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Had to chop the top of my stock shifter off to get it over the boot. How the heck they put them together to begin with...I dunno?

I'd get the new shifter and see what the instructions say, or if you like the GearGrabberShifters...give 'em a call and ask about how the installation is done.

I think there might be a YouTube video on the matter...but I only looked for a few minutes last night...

If you get one, it would be great is you could scan the instructions so they can be shared...

Pirate

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got ahead of myself as ordered a shifter from UTV that arrived with no instrux.

Now looking at the gear grabber you shared I'm 2nd guessing my purchase - I'm going to let this stew over the weekend.

If you're going to do it, do it right.

But my **** budget.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Waaallll...you should be able to return the UTV Inc. shifter. They are good people. Done a fair amount of business with them over the years.

And yup, doing it right the first time always makes sense. But us danged humans...ready, fire, aim....

Pirate

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been looking high & low for a Gated Shifter besides the EMP. I've been in a couple of "Predicaments" were a gated shifter would have eased the "pucker in my seat". Who has installed the GearGrabber and does it work like it suppose to? Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
on youtube, busted knuckle has a nice vid of how the shifter works, though it is an install on a rzr. seems really cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts