Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 General XP2
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hear it is a nightmare to change the shift cable on these things. Mine has a torn boot near the adjuster that I’m sure is letting mud water and debris through. The shifter is pretty tight to go through the gears especially when bike is cold. Once it’s hot it shifts pretty smooth so I’m thinking of replacing it… any tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,302 Posts
A cable luber is different than doing that....but you probably need to replace it. It may buy you some time to ride tho.

·
Registered
2020 General XP2
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just unhooked the cable from trans and you can feel the rust/grit that is stuck on to the rod inside the boot. Guess it’s finally clogged the line up enough to make it hard to shift… even unhooked from the trans there is still a decent amount of resistance at the shifter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
be extra careful when pulling new cable in not to kink aluminum tube
and try to route in same location .its zip tied somewhere,
make sure adjustment is right it will get hung in between gears
good luck

ride safe

·
Registered
2020 General XP2
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much of the console must come out get to the cable? That’s the part that looks the most difficult is just being able to get to the shifter hook up!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Tie a heavy string to one end of the old cable, pull it out. Tie string onto new cable and feed it back through. You'll likely have to assist it here and there but it wasn't that big of a deal on our 4 seater a couple years ago.

·
Registered
2020 General XP2
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you guys getting cables? Seems like there’s quite a few options. I’m just looking for a standard 2020 XP2 cable.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
You can get the shift cable through polarisparts123.com and get a good discount and no sales tax.
Best way to replace cable is from the transmission end. So, remove the Driver's side of the console. A few push rivets and it comes off. Disconnect the shift lever from
the shift lever. Be very careful not to lose the clip, washer and plastic insert.
If you got 'em use a pair of digital calipers to measure where the engine side nut is on the shift cable end. Or hook the end back up the the trans and measure from the nut to
the end of the cable housing end.
Get a piece of mechanics wire and use it to connect the front eyelet of the new cable to the rear eyelet on the old cable. With someone helping at the transmission end, to keep
the cables from hanging up. Slowly pull the old cable out through the console opening and the new cable into place. When ya got it all the way in.
Connect the shift lever end. Then connect the transmission end and adjust the lock nuts to the correct position.
You should be ready to go. There may be a bit of adjustment needed.
Couple of things.
You can't lube the shift cable. Both ends are sealed. No way to get a teflon lube to the cable itself. I have no idea whether there is a lining inside or just the black plastic tube.
I'll cut one of my old ones and post a pic.
If you got extras, Cut a 3/4" end wrench to a 3" handle and a 3/4" end wrench to 2" long handle These are the dimensions that let you have clear access to the adjustment
at the transmission end.

Not that difficult, but using the old to pull in the new is what I found worked the best.
Let us know how it goes!!
Pirate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts