Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of hunterworks secondary rollers. I thought everthing went smooth. But now it runs up to 50 fairly quick. But takes a while to get up to 70. Seems to stay around 8k Rpms the whole time. Any Ideas on what I messed up?

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I installed mine, I don't remember it driving any different, just smoother. You might want to take it back apart and confirm that you got the spring back in correctly. That's about the only thing that you could do wrong. Were your square pucks creating a lot of drag that could slow the response time and now it moves more smoothly. I installed mine at like 88miles on the machine so the wear was that significant and performance hadn't degraded any. Just some thoughts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it back apart this morning and it looked correct. I put it back on a lot smoother than the first time. And its running normal. Not sure what was up the first time but its all good now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Maybe you didn't have your secondary pushed all the way onto the shaft the first time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good to hear that you got it sorted out!

·
Registered
59 Posts
it's important to understand the hunterworks rollers are not the answer to all clutch problems. I actually have them in mine machine and noticed no difference.

·
Registered
685 Posts
it's important to understand the hunterworks rollers are not the answer to all clutch problems. I actually have them in mine machine and noticed no difference.
I think they are more preventative medicine. By installing them, they prevent any damage that the square pucks will do. If you install them before any damage occurs, you shouldn't see much difference.

Reactions: drsmitty74

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Exactly! They are to correct a problem Polaris created. The square pucks tend to get shoved and the try to turn. Thus the corner is wearing on the aluminum or magnesium secondary clutch outer plate. Aluminum is very susceptible to wearing quickly. Magnesium is a little better, but not much.
Here's pic of the damage that begins to occur:

The round rollers, such as sold by Hunterworks, have no corners, so they don't wear on the clutch piece.

As for any performance change...zip. If the square pucks are very damaged, worse than in the pic above, then there might be some loss of performance due to the damage.

But I don't think you're going to see any difference if changing the puck to a roller.

Pirate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts