Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, How do you tell if you have the correct torque on the secondary clutch bolt when the clutch keeps spinning? Why don't they make a tool to hold this from spinning or do they ? And the tool to spread it to get the belt on, sucks. I couldn't get enough bite to separate it for the belt. Any help and advise would be great.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Here is a good tool:

Good tool for taking clutch cover off:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used a one pound Harbor Freight Rubber Mallet placed in position as a brace to allow the use of a Torque Wrench. Quick and simple.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As mentioned use a strap wrench, I prefer leather for this application.

Your torque spec is 55 ft lbs.

Never use an impact.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree do it right by using a torque wrench. Too easy to twist off a bolt, then you really have a mess to deal with

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
523 Posts
I been doing this a very long time and never use a torque wrench and if my memory is right, I don't recall a single person ever contacting me about messing anything up using an impact, but there have been a ton of people tearing things up with a torque wrench while trying to tighten the two main clutch bolts and the ones on the clutch cap.

I know it is proper but the above is true.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I been doing this a very long time and never use a torque wrench and if my memory is right, I don't recall a single person ever contacting me about messing anything up using an impact, but there have been a ton of people tearing things up with a torque wrench while trying to tighten the two main clutch bolts and the ones on the clutch cap.

I know it is proper but the above is true.
Just because “you have been doing it this way for a very long time”, doesn’t mean that it’s correct.
The torque values are Calculated from several factors, they are there for a reason.

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
523 Posts
I know because it has never happen to me and I would be guessing that due to all the work on clutching and testing over the last 16 years I have been in a clutch as much as anyone and more than most and I have never had a bolt back off. The main tech at duraclutch works at Polaris in the clutch dept, in 30 years he has never torqued one either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts