Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go and buy one of these, I'm curious about if/how anyone has lowered or moved the seat back at all?

I am 6'8" and have sat in the General, but it's just too tight. Not enough leg room with the console laid out how it is. If the seat could be lowered some, it would be a large improvement. how much hacking would be involved to do that?

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can adjust the seat back but maybe not far enough for you. The seat sits on a deck that houses the battery and is part of the frame therefore cannot be lowered.

If you sat in one and adjusted the seat, this might not be the SxS for you.

Sent from my mobile device

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm 6'3. If it was any tighter for me I may not have got the general. But it fits me well enough that I went with it. 6'8 would be a stretch for you to get in there in my opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information fellas.

Yeah, the seat was back the whole way and it was too cramped for any length of ride time.

I just looked into the lowering bases and they are only good for .25" on the stock seats. With some aftermarket seats, you can get 1.5" lower, but I ain't buying aftermarket seats. Definitely will have to put some more thought into this. A guy down the road has the blue model, I'll have to go and take it for a drive sometime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the non adjustable passenger seat any lower? Maybe you could swap the driver and passenger seats. Not home right now or I would check for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
did anyone check if the passenger seat is lower profile than the driver? I'm having the same issue I'm 6"4 and when I drive down hill my knees rub the dash..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks for the information fellas.

Yeah, the seat was back the whole way and it was too cramped for any length of ride time.

I just looked into the lowering bases and they are only good for .25" on the stock seats. With some aftermarket seats, you can get 1.5" lower, but I ain't buying aftermarket seats. Definitely will have to put some more thought into this. A guy down the road has the blue model, I'll have to go and take it for a drive sometime.
Welcome 54warrior

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I’m 6-5”
I have a G4 and here’s what I did
  • On the bar that separates the front from the back I cut off the spacer on that bar
  • I re-drilled the seat adjustment plate so the seat would go back as far as it could
  • I also inserted washers between the seat adjustment plate and the seat where it bolts to the seat so it reclined the seat a bit
The seat sits back against the the bar and gives me about 4” more space

It works great and my knees don’t hit the hand controls
Cheers Baja Charlie
Vehicle Fictional character Auto part Car Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m 6-5”
I have a G4 and here’s what I did
  • On the bar that separates the front from the back I cut off the spacer on that bar
  • I re-drilled the seat adjustment plate so the seat would go back as far as it could
  • I also inserted washers between the seat adjustment plate and the seat where it bolts to the seat so it reclined the seat a bit
The seat sits back against the the bar and gives me about 4” more space

It works great and my knees don’t hit the hand controls
Cheers Baja Charlie View attachment 67212 View attachment 67213
Thats great info.

·
Registered
2020 XP 4 1000
80 Posts
Rock Ready adjustable, reclining seat bases might be the best money I’ve spent on the General so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am 6-4 and tried the rock ready seat base with the stock seats on my 17G2. It will lower the seat roughly 2" and tilt it back around 6 degrees. It did give me more room, but as noted by others it might not be enough for someone your size. I had a passenger recently who was 6-6 and he could fit, but it would not be the way to go for long rides.

·
Registered
65 Posts
passenger seat and driver seat on my g4 are both adjustable.
Or maybe not need to double check. I think they had drivers seat on passenger side when I picked it up

·
Registered
283 Posts
Rock Ready seat bases are a great upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats great info.
I'm 6'3. If it was any tighter for me I may not have got the general. But it fits me well enough that I went with it. 6'8 would be a stretch for you to get in there in my opinion
I'm 6' with a beer belly that I've been working on for 68 years. I fit OK but exiting is tight. I figure I'm 10lbs. away from riding in the bed with my wife driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts