Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I've had my Polaris plastic windshield for a year or so. Now I have some deep scratches right in front of my face. Wayward tree branches intruding on my trail! Has anyone tried buffing out scratches with rubbing compound and a rotary buffer? Can you get the plastic back to the perfect condition that it came with? If I try and fail, I will have ruined the windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I have restored several headlights with this kit and it works well, I would try it on a windshield. it comes with different grits of sand paper and cleaners and polishes that will do the trick. I've even taken out scratches on a front window that was scratched from being rolled down dirty. Just take you time with it and work your way through the grits. The cleaner is actually like a rubbing compound.

Reactions: GeneralHendy

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can also try heating it with heat gun or torch it will heat it up and kinda roll the edges of the scratches back and their for getting rid of the white sharp edges of the scratches it works very well on other plastics and have seen it done on windshields with very good results

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use a torch....carefully and it works beautifully every time.

Reactions: 2020GeneralPremium

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
I agree best fix is a glass windshield .

Reactions: OurRide

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll probably do a glass windshield, but after I wear out my plastic one. Thanx, everyone, for the advice. I'm confident one of the procedures will do the trick.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Glass windshields are cool until you ride with high hp quads and bikes they dont mean to throw rocks but it happens and 2 people i ride with have nice rock chips and cracks

·
Registered
293 Posts
The only thing I'd worry about would be destroying the hard coat by using heat. You can minimize the scratch but if the hard coat is weakened then a haze will appear over time. I use a 3M finishing polish on my seizmik side plastic that works real well but haven't needed to use it on my windshield yet. Glass is better by far until you break one then the painful squirm hits when you have to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing I'd worry about would be destroying the hard coat by using heat. You can minimize the scratch but if the hard coat is weakened then a haze will appear over time. I use a 3M finishing polish on my seizmik side plastic that works real well but haven't needed to use it on my windshield yet. Glass is better by far until you break one then the painful squirm hits when you have to replace it.
I have had good luck with the Novus plastic polish products on both my snowmobile and UTV windshields. You may have get with auto body supply stores or order online.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the idea, Ron. I'll check it out. No doubt that would eat through the hard coat, also, but I just want the scratches gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts