Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..... So I tried to be the do it by the book guy... and I think I'm done with that. I don't get to ride much in the summer because of work, but I finally got up to the initial 25 hour service. took it in to the service dept and they charge everything for but your first born son for labor..... I bit my tongue and said ok... but that's it. Its basically an oil change. When the 100hr service comes up I will have to do it. So someone needs to make a video so we can check it out before we get committed.

Reactions: MULIE30

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hopefully some of the guys putting these up to daily duty will post up the process. But for that you might have to go beyond this forum and other communities where General owners can be found.

Building up a relationship with dealers helps, we might find some people like that here as well and learn from them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah.... here is my beef.... They are charging me right at $190.00 for the 25 hour service and while its there.... replacing the door which I had made a warranty claim the day I bought it..... What makes it worse is that I dropped it off at the dealer near the end of the day on Tuesday and the earliest it will be ready in Saturday. I could have done all the work myself...... and from now on I will.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
13 Posts
First Oil Change

I feel your pain. I took my General in for it's first 25 hour oil change and to have a door adjusted that wouldn't shut. The oil change and inspection cost me $191.00. I'll be looking to do my own oil changes in the future. Too bad the Polaris dealers want to charge so much. They just drive off business in the long run.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it sucks.... And I dropped mine off right before closing. The service manager said he would call someone to help me unload. Well they didn't hear the call because they were racing pit bikes behind the shop. I don't know if it was new bikes or customers bikes so I took down my mileage and hour number to see it it had been riden.

Reactions: Skidz

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah.... here is my beef.... They are charging me right at $190.00 for the 25 hour service and while its there.... replacing the door which I had made a warranty claim the day I bought it..... What makes it worse is that I dropped it off at the dealer near the end of the day on Tuesday and the earliest it will be ready in Saturday. I could have done all the work myself...... and from now on I will.
wow!!!!i dont blame u guys.i do my own tranny and front end because its 200 bucks and i can do it for around 50 bucks.what in the **** are they charging 190 bucks for?and i always get mine back the same day i take it in,for that price it should be a front diff and tranny oil change:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Always did my own on the ranger and plan on doing all on the general if nobody ha posted the how to I will when I get mine still waiting:crying:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do a search on Google or utube for videos using "polaris General maintenance" and you will find some very good how to videos that will save you some money.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Scheduled maintenance

I have 62 hrs and 1074 miles in 5 months this will be my second oil change. I am having oil & filter grease and front fluid. Is there anything else that anyone thinks is important to have done. :confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
that's about the exact mileage and hours i have on mine trapper,and my dealer recommended changing tranny oil and front diff oil every 1000 miles,and that is exactly what my owners manual says also.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here is an update..... I got the service done and it ended up being $190 bucks for the oil change... the problem is that I was also having my driver door replaced. FAIL! the door that was put on my bike was worse than my original. I had them make another claim an note on my paperwork the the door still wasn't right. They basically acted like "what do you want us to do about it?"...FIX IT.. yeah I was so pissed I forgot to put my ramps up on my trailer when I was leaving..... lol

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sucks treebeme, but the ramp thing made me laugh.
Yeah.... After about 50 yards I said.... Something isn't right.....lol.... I know the service guys were laughing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I do all my own maintenance by the book, but I got one of those stupid cards in the mail from Polaris trying to get me to go to the dealer and have a bunch of recommended maintenance done. One item on the list was to lubricate the steering. I can't find this in the manual and there are not grease fittings that I am aware of. In fact, I only know of 5 grease fittings. 4 on the front and rear sway bars, and one on the drive shaft at the transmission.

So what else do they lubricate, especially with the steering?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do all my own maintenance by the book, but I got one of those stupid cards in the mail from Polaris trying to get me to go to the dealer and have a bunch of recommended maintenance done. One item on the list was to lubricate the steering. I can't find this in the manual and there are not grease fittings that I am aware of. In fact, I only know of 5 grease fittings. 4 on the front and rear sway bars, and one on the drive shaft at the transmission.

So what else do they lubricate, especially with the steering?
There is 1 more zerk on the drive shaft just forward of the support bearing, #5 in the drawing.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
There is 1 more zerk on the drive shaft just forward of the support bearing, #5 in the drawing.

Sent via Tapatalk
Wow that is very helpful. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I bought the extended warranty because I don't intend to do modifications that would void the warranty.

In discussion with my dealer, I will take digital pics of the "hours" and "odometer" each time I do a service. I will keep the printed pics and all receipts in a file.

That way there should be no argument that service has not be done.

Then I've got to figure out how to reset the service interval "clock"...never did figure out how to do that on my 09 RZR 800.

I offered to send my dealer an e-mail with the pics and a scanned image of the receipts. But he said that was not necessary, just so long as I had them.

Pirate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts