Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the round pucks for my 2020 General xp 1000. What is the torque spec for the secondary?

I watched a video from Hunterworks and he made the comment about not liking how it was held on. He used an impact gun to put the bolt back in.

With him making that comment, I assume he feels the torque spec should be tighter than factory? Thanks.

He has a good feel for the impact and I am a torque wrench kind of guy.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
55 Ft. Lbs.

Reactions: Sbct

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just watched the video again. My dumb ass just realized he meant not a good way to hold it so that you can get a good torque. That is why he was using the impact.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what do the round pucks help with? does it help prevent the belt slap and noise? or does it just help with the lasting longer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do the round pucks help with? does it help prevent the belt slap and noise? or does it just help with the lasting longer?
They are supposed to help with wearing the secondary down. The square ones rub and rub until they cause grooves / metal loss. You wouldn’t want a lot of play. People have sanded or grinded the secondary flat but you are better off getting the round rollers.

Since they rolland don’t slide, they don’t rub and take away metal.

Hunterworks has them to my house in 2 days. Just need an 1/8 roll pin punch and about 10 mins. This is minus disassembly and reassembly. I will be getting Hunterworks belt maybe in a month or so and keep oem belt for spare.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am new at this so I probably didn’t answer this question as well as others will.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have manage to wedge it with a block of wood and any thing else that will work as a wedge to hold. 55 ft lbs is not all that hard to set.
Well the clutch and shock tool worked extremely well to hold the secondary still to get a good torque. There are little grooves on the outside of the secondary, probably 1/4” deep maybe little less. The shock side of the tool rested right in that groove and the clutch side rested right in the A arm. Worked really darn good.

·
Registered
783 Posts
They are supposed to help with wearing the secondary down. The square ones rub and rub until they cause grooves / metal loss. You wouldn’t want a lot of play. People have sanded or grinded the secondary flat but you are better off getting the round rollers.

Since they rolland don’t slide, they don’t rub and take away metal.

Hunterworks has them to my house in 2 days. Just need an 1/8 roll pin punch and about 10 mins. This is minus disassembly and reassembly. I will be getting Hunterworks belt maybe in a month or so and keep oem belt for spare.
I got the rollers and belt at the same time and installed with 88miles on the machine. The OEM belt was just broke in and now is a good spare. The belt slapping stopped after the install, I also put the thick white washer in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the rollers and belt at the same time and installed with 88miles on the machine. The OEM belt was just broke in and now is a good spare. The belt slapping stopped after the install, I also put the thick white washer in.
I assume that belt slap is a very obvious sound. I hear a lot about that on here. Mine is new though so maybe it will do it later.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I assume that belt slap is a very obvious sound. I hear a lot about that on here. Mine is new though so maybe it will do it later.
Mine is very subtle. It’s a light tapping sound below 5 mph on decel. The rollers didn’t cure it, but it helped. Mine is so slight, it hasn’t barely made a mark on the cover.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine didn't start exhibiting the slap until I had several miles on the belt. As the belt relaxed from normal stretching That is when I started hearing it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I can't say that I heard it, Just has some damage on the inside of the cover that I notice when I installed the rollers and belt. I pull the cover off regularly to blow out the clutches and that damage hasn't gotten any worse

Reactions: Sbct

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed the round rollers in my G4 at around 3800 miles. At 7000 miles I had to replace the first set of round rollers, because they were flat on the sides (the roller spindles needed to be replaced too). The clutch itself shows absolutely no wear. Now, it is important to note that I use a compressor to blow the dust out of my clutches about every 300-400 miles, I have Outerwears prefilters on the two intake towers under the hood, and the Mountain Fit prefilter (along with Pirate's recommended aluminum tape job) on the rear intake. I had to replace my primary clutch at around 5500 miles, but my secondary is still the original. All that said, I am not at all convinced that the round rollers are better than the square pucks, because it is impossible for the round rollers to actually roll in the slot on the clutch (think about it, one side needs to turn clockwise, the other counterclockwise as the roller travels along the groove in the clutch; therefore, they fight one another and cannot roll). I am probably going to run the square pucks again when the second set of Hunter Works round rollers wear flat, just to see. My guess is that is is muy importante to blow the dust out regularly, and the shape of the roller/puck is of little consequence. I could be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed the round rollers in my G4 at around 3800 miles. At 7000 miles I had to replace the first set of round rollers, because they were flat on the sides (the roller spindles needed to be replaced too). The clutch itself shows absolutely no wear. Now, it is important to note that I use a compressor to blow the dust out of my clutches about every 300-400 miles, I have Outerwears prefilters on the two intake towers under the hood, and the Mountain Fit prefilter (along with Pirate's recommended aluminum tape job) on the rear intake. I had to replace my primary clutch at around 5500 miles, but my secondary is still the original. All that said, I am not at all convinced that the round rollers are better than the square pucks, because it is impossible for the round rollers to actually roll in the slot on the clutch (think about it, one side needs to turn clockwise, the other counterclockwise as the roller travels along the groove in the clutch; therefore, they fight one another and cannot roll). I am probably going to run the square pucks again when the second set of Hunter Works round rollers wear flat, just to see. My guess is that is is muy importante to blow the dust out regularly, and the shape of the roller/puck is of little consequence. I could be wrong, of course.
I've put a sharpie line accross them and your correct they don't roll. I have them in my machine and noticed no difference in anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What would prevent them from spinning independently? Guess I need to try a sharpie for myself and see.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts