Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I'm a new General XP (2-seater) owner and new to the ATV/UTV space. I've had a Wrangler JK for years and I'm learning how much fun and different ATVs can be. I'm so used to the solid axles on the Jeep it's amazing to me how squishy the independent suspension is. I did the classic new owner mistake and just started riding it as it came from the dealer. I was worried I might be riding it a little too high so I finally checked the tire pressure (after 20 hours of riding I'm sorry to say). From the dealer it came with 18psi in all 4 tires. I was a little puzzled because the manual seemed to make it sound like 10 front/14 rear was the max.

Being so used to the flat (cross section that is) and higher pressure car tires, I'm wondering what the recommendation would be for the General. I'd typically just start lowering the pressure and seeing how it rode, but without bead locks and at such low pressure wasn't sure how low I could go before starting to worry about it. Right now I lowered them to 15psi (although it was after 40 minutes of riding, haven't had a chance to check cold pressure).

The tires on the General XP are the 30 x 10-15; Pro Armor Crawler XG.

Thanks!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I run mostly 10psi on 32” Tensors on 14” beadlocks, they rides great. I think Pirate runs 8psi on his 28’s
Pretty sure some have your tires and will chime in what they

Welcome fellow Jeeper! These General’s are pretty darn good for most stuff.
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
8-12 lbs and play with it to see what pressure works best for you.

Reactions: 1Truckey

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'll 3rd the 8 to 12 psi recommendation. It'll depend on where you're riding and what you're hauling. Play with it and see. The "18 in all 4" from the dealer could be because the guy doing setup is getting paid by the job not by the hour. Check your front diff fluid if somebody hasn't already mentioned that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is helpful info. My dealer inflated all 4 tires to 20psi on my 2 seater general xp. this is my first side by side and i read in the owners manual 10psi front and 14 psi rear, so i called the dealer and asked them what's up and they said "20 is good leave it there." I didn't really believe them though. i ride mostly in a rocky area of norther nevada, so i'm going to stay on the firm side of the range, but going to lower them from the 20psi the dealer set them to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings all! I'm a new General XP (2-seater) owner and new to the ATV/UTV space. I've had a Wrangler JK for years and I'm learning how much fun and different ATVs can be. I'm so used to the solid axles on the Jeep it's amazing to me how squishy the independent suspension is. I did the classic new owner mistake and just started riding it as it came from the dealer. I was worried I might be riding it a little too high so I finally checked the tire pressure (after 20 hours of riding I'm sorry to say). From the dealer it came with 18psi in all 4 tires. I was a little puzzled because the manual seemed to make it sound like 10 front/14 rear was the max.

Being so used to the flat (cross section that is) and higher pressure car tires, I'm wondering what the recommendation would be for the General. I'd typically just start lowering the pressure and seeing how it rode, but without bead locks and at such low pressure wasn't sure how low I could go before starting to worry about it. Right now I lowered them to 15psi (although it was after 40 minutes of riding, haven't had a chance to check cold pressure).

The tires on the General XP are the 30 x 10-15; Pro Armor Crawler XG.

Thanks!
i had same question. mine came from dealer at 20psi in all 4. I even called and asked them about it and mentioned owners manual says 10 front / 14 rear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a 2020 G4XP 1000 carry a lot of weight, run 16 psi all fours. Rides great for me. Here in Arizona We deal with rocks, sand and gravel no problems so far with the General or tires after 2000 miles.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I played with the pressures and went all the way down to 10 and in the desert where I ride, that was just a bit soft. I found the 12psi works really good for me in my G4 XP. With yours being a 2 seater, you might be happy with a little less. Johnny gave good advice with the 8-12psi range, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Reactions: tvrisme

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm with BajaCharlie, set em' all at 8 psi and that's it. no changes for different terrain, just 8 psi

Pirate
Anything under 10 became too squirelly for my tastes on hardpack or asphalt.The thing wallowed around like Jello. Everybody's tastes are different so I still say play with different psi in different terrain. Different brands of tires will react different with the same psi also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine came with 28 psi from the dealer. I dropped it down to 12 psi. On the mountain trails in Colorado I dropped to 9 psi and had no issues......but I go slow over the rocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts