Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
I personally don't care for any of the tube sliders that are out right now. I think they stick out too far, and could do more harm, than good, causing you to get hung up. I do like the plate versions that Polaris offers, they're smooth, and provide good coverage. The only problem I have with them is the price. Like most parts for these machines, it's too high for what you're getting.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out the best design for me to build myself. I'd like a combo of plate coverage, with tucked in close tubing. I recently nearly ripped off one of my rocker panels climbing a extremely tough trail section, so it has kicked me into gear on coming up with some protection.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
I am really glad that more venders are getting into supplying for the General! nice looking bars!

Reactions: MMX and gmman5

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those look like they could get caught up on things and land you in a bit of trouble though, me personally, I don't have any experience so this is more geared as a question for knowledge lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know what is used to attach the bars to the frame? I've never seen a set of the bars and I'd like to try to make some myself but not sure how they attach.

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
The stock bar/sliders use expanding inserts...
According to that video theyre one time use.

I started on my own sliders today, and plan to drill all the way through the tubes, put sleeves in the holes, so the tube won't collapse when I tighten the bolts. Should be way more sturdy than the Polaris setup.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
The stock bar/sliders use expanding inserts...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K_OGFy478IU
According to that video theyre one time use.

I started on my own sliders today, and plan to drill all the way through the tubes, put sleeves in the holes, so the tube won't collapse when I tighten the bolts. Should be way more sturdy than the Polaris setup.

The nut insert is a one time use because once you install them the stay in the tube. The bolt can be put in and removed but the nut insert stays in the tube. when you install them make sure they are tight. bad thing with them is when they come loose or you cross thread them what ever they are a pain in the *~s to get out :mad:and no you cant reuse them. I 100% agree with MMX and doing the same with my rock sliders going to drill threw tubes and install sleeve. Then use bolt and nut strips or break's replace it easy! :grin2: I am using 1x2 square tube like I used for rear bumper to make mine may be later when weather turns and have more time with deer season and work my free time is riding the General and not working on it less weather is bad!

Reactions: MMX

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sliders vs. rails

I agree on the looks of most of these vs. the lower profile ones. However, my understanding is that this is done because the doors on the General sticking out so much further than most anything else on the machine. Do you all think you would get the same protection out of the low profile ones? I think they would do fine against boulder hits from the bottom, like rock rails do, but not much from keeping the side of your machine off of things.

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
I've had mine in some pretty iffy situations, and the areas for me catching the biggest beating are, the entire black piece that is the rocker panel, and the upper cage, and roof. So far my doors have been avoiding the carnage. My rockers on the other hand look like I hate my General. I had 3 huge cracks/tears that I had to "plastic weld" back together to salvage the panel. The wife was giving me a hard time about being so rough with such an expensive machine, but that's what I bought for. >:)

Here's what I have for mine so far...

Still a lot more to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had mine in some pretty iffy situations, and the areas for me catching the biggest beating are, the entire black piece that is the rocker panel, and the upper cage, and roof. So far my doors have been avoiding the carnage. My rockers on the other hand look like I hate my General. I had 3 huge cracks/tears that I had to "plastic weld" back together to salvage the panel. The wife was giving me a hard time about being so rough with such an expensive machine, but that's what I bought for. >:)

Still a lot more to do.

Was all the damage done before you put the bar on or is it still taking a beating?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just bought my new General XP last week, I had a Ranger prior to this, actually it was my second Ranger. My first Ranger was a mid size, and it took an ass kicking! One area it caught **** was bottoming out on rocks and logs on hunting trails up near Ely, MN. So when I replaced that unit with a 2015 Ranger 900 XP Hunter Edition I added the Polaris rock slider / nerf bars to it. Well, they got beat to ****, dented, scratched, gouged (they aren't that tough of an accessory)... but, they did save my Ranger from any damage! Before selling that Ranger last week I took them off, because they were trashed, but the Ranger was in about 97% showroom condition and sold in 2 days for asking price.

In case I end up being a fool on my General rock slider decision, I'm going to refrain from saying too much right now. In a week I should have what I purchased installed, and decide if I'm making any modifications... I'll post pics if it all works out! But a couple hundred bucks of protection up front can yield a couple thousand when it comes time to sell, (y)!

·
Registered
116 Posts
So, based on ideas I got from another post I bought RZR rock / tree guards (hard to call them sliders when they are above the bottom of the machine). I bought these RZR guards from UTV-Giant, $99 on sale (General version was $20 more, looked to be the same though). They lined right up with the General's mounting holes for an easy install. I did cut 1.5" discs out of plastic to fill the openings next to the mounting holes, just because I'm picky and wanted the guards well supported on a flush surface.
*I have an idea for adding UHMW bars to the bottom of these, if I want true 'slide' over something capability... more to follow on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used the UTV-Giant ones as well, like you said, I didn't have to mess with any nut-serts, they use a factory mounting point and a factory bolt that is already there. I like you put a filler in so they would be solid against the general. I bought them because they were 1/2 the price of anyone else, $109 and I had a free shipping deal. They seem to stick out just far enough to protect the door, were we sometimes ride it can be slick and mostly trees, not rocks, I can see these easily saving my doors from a scratching or beating of some type.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire All-terrain vehicle

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
After using and wrecking the Polaris Low Profile Rock Sliders, I chose to move to the Factory UTV 1/2" UHMW Rock Sliders.
I have lots of pictures of installing them and working with Factory UTV to get the holes lined...they made the changes and set me a set. But to pic of them installed. Gotta get that!
But here is a pic from their website:

These use the same three bolts as on their Skid Plate.
The 1/2" UHMW does a great job sliding over rocks and trees and whatever...
They cover 3" underneath the cab, and about 2 1/2" up the side, protecting the Polaris factory Rocker Panel and protrude out enough to get past most trees and other obstacles.

Had mine on all this riding season. They are like the skid plates...dang, had to slide over that boulder...wonder what it did to the rock sliders??? Yup...a scratch like a screwdriver would make. LOL!!!

And for me, the underside protections is much more important that the "tree kicker" portion.
Just me.
Pirate

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,229 Posts
I have the Factory UTV Rock sliders and half inch skid as well. I use them in conjunction with my tree kickers. Had to modify the rock sliders to fit.

Black Wood Sky Floor Metal

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Hole saw to make the notches. Uhmw cut very easily.

You can tell my tree kickers get used, evidence by the scrapes...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.