Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2016 General
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me why I can buy hand held, battery powered, fully programmable garage door openers for $2-30, but one that fits in my dash and is hard wired is $159? Has anyone figured a work around for this? Is anyone interested in bringing a product to market that I am certain would be a moneymaker?
Vehicle Gadget Gas Automotive exterior Font

Camera accessory Digital camera Cameras & optics Camera lens Rectangle

· Registered
5,900 Posts
We have one just like the top picture in our Polaris General and one on our Goldwing CSC Trike. They work great so I won't spend money on one that fits in a dash, as these are good enough for us.
If you don't have a place for it, get some industrial velcro and mount it where you want. That's what we did.

· Registered
146 Posts
Why not install a Remootio?
You can open/close and check the status of your garage door from anywhere in the world with your cell phone.
If you don't have cell service, it works on WiFi and Bluetooth too.
You can even set it to open the door when your cell phone gets near..Door will stay open as you roam around your home/property....until you drive away.
About $120 and no monthly fees.
Super easy to set up.
You can easily share keys with family and friends.
I have one on my garage door and another one on my automatic gate.

· Read Only
446 Posts

· Registered
2016 General
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not install a Remootio?
You can open/close and check the status of your garage door from anywhere in the world with your cell phone.
If you don't have cell service, it works on WiFi and Bluetooth too.
You can even set it to open the door when your cell phone gets near..Door will stay open as you roam around your home/property....until you drive away.
About $120 and no monthly fees.
Super easy to set up.
You can easily share keys with family and friends.
I have one on my garage door and another one on my automatic gate.
Yeah, NO! I'm very weary of adding more "access" on my handheld device. Security is greatly reduced and of course my main complaint was cost so $120 for something that puts my security at risk and requires cell phone to use not appealing.

· Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Go to the junkyard, and pickup the Homelink buttons for next to nothing. Not in my General, but put them in my '96 Chevy dually, and they work great. Two wire hookup, program it just like you would any remote, and enjoy. I got mine out of a 2003 Suburban.

All you need is the button assembly, and the pig tail, to wire it up. I have mine wired so it only has power with the ignition on, and it maintains the program.

Back side...

· Registered
2016 General
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to the junkyard, and pickup the Homelink buttons for next to nothing. Not in my General, but put them in my '96 Chevy dually, and they work great. Two wire hookup, program it just like you would any remote, and enjoy. I got mine out of a 2003 Suburban.

I was so fixated on keeping the switches consistent (rocker switches) I hadn't given your idea a thought. That is a great idea, thanks!

· Registered
2020XP4
2,350 Posts

All you need is the button assembly, and the pig tail, to wire it up. I have mine wired so it only has power with the ignition on, and it maintains the program.

Back side...

I wonder if the ones built into the sunvisor are that easy to use too? I don't know when they stopped putting them in the visors.

· Registered
146 Posts
I can understand the desire to not get too fancy or expensive.....though security is probably worse with a standard garage door opener than it is with a Remootio (I could easily have a random generator that would run through all the combinations in a minute or so and would open your door). But to each his own.
A simple and cheap solution would be to just open up a garage door remote and run a couple pigtails (wires) in parallel with the existing remote switch. Put the remote back together and Velcro it under the dash (making it accessible to change the batteries as needed). Then run those two wires to a switch of your choice, located wherever you want.
Heck, you can even make it voice activated so it will open the door when you say "Open Sesame" (with the addition of a little circuity that is) ..... sorry, I couldn't resist.
Enjoy your project.

· Registered
2021 General 1000 XP4
140 Posts
I can understand the desire to not get too fancy or expensive.....though security is probably worse with a standard garage door opener than it is with a Remootio (I could easily have a random generator that would run through all the combinations in a minute or so and would open your door). But to each his own.
A simple and cheap solution would be to just open up a garage door remote and run a couple pigtails (wires) in parallel with the existing remote switch. Put the remote back together and Velcro it under the dash (making it accessible to change the batteries as needed). Then run those two wires to a switch of your choice, located wherever you want.
Heck, you can even make it voice activated so it will open the door when you say "Open Sesame" (with the addition of a little circuity that is) ..... sorry, I couldn't resist.
Enjoy your project.

Not a good idea to open a door with a generator of codes as you would be shot on the spot. Castle doctrin is fantastic and bullet proof in my home state. My neighbor and various others in my small "neck of the woods" watch each others properties when one is away......

· Registered
64 Posts

Back side...

Like that idea !!!!!! Thanking of place to put it as have polaris heat so that area is taken.

· Super Moderator
3,396 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts

· Registered
2016 General
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Back side...

Got a unit form the junkyard just as you suggested, only $20! Now I need to find out what the wires are, two black and one blue on my unit (from 2007 Cadillac CTS sun visor). Homelinks webpage blows, no help and no contact, have to fill out a form and hope they call back. Can you help?

· Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Got a unit form the junkyard just as you suggested, only $20! Now I need to find out what the wires are, two black and one blue on my unit (from 2007 Cadillac CTS sun visor). Homelinks webpage blows, no help and no contact, have to fill out a form and hope they call back. Can you help?
Mine had different color wires, black, white, and orange, if I remember correct. You only need two of the wires. Should be able to find a wiring diagram on goggle. It's what I did when I got mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts