Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard about some door issues and now some radiator problems. Was seriously considering purchasing a General Premium but don't want to spend 20K to only have a bunch of problems with it.

The only Polaris I've purchased new was a Sportsman 700 ATV that I had a few problems with (had to take it in 4 different times to get fixed in just over a year). Ended up selling it shortly after the warranty expired and purchased a Yamaha Grizzly and never once had to take it in for anything. I've been researching side by sides for the last couple months as I'm looking to sell our quads and just get one side by side. I was thinking about a RZR 900 but after reading about all the problems they have had I was starting to look elsewhere. I was hoping since this is a newly designed model that it would be better designed than the RZR. I guess some things never change for Polaris. I like supporting American firms but man, I don't know if I could take a chance on paying close to 20K for one of these things to only end up having a bunch of problems with it.

If any owners have any kind of problems with theirs please post the issues. I'm sure others who are thinking about purchasing one would love to hear about any problems. Anything else to report?

·
Registered
43 Posts
well you gotta figure alot of the same systems in the RZR have been shared with the General. If you can pinpoint exactly what the common issues are with the RZR you can then cross check and see if problem parts have been shared...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well you gotta figure alot of the same systems in the RZR have been shared with the General. If you can pinpoint exactly what the common issues are with the RZR you can then cross check and see if problem parts have been shared...
Good point. I think I might do a little more research on issues with the RZR and see if the same part #s are used in the General.

This is going to be a BIG purchase for us and with the past experience we had with a new Sportsman we purchased we still have a bad taste in our mouth so to speak. The first problem we had with it was it would not start. We only had it for about a month and there might have been 100 miles on it. Something with the EFI went bad and they had to replace it. Luckily it was in the garage when it wouldn't start and we weren't stuck on a trail somewhere. A couple hundred miles later the starter had to be replaced. At about 450 miles it ate a belt. And then with just under 1,000 miles on it the dealer told us both the bushings and bearings needed to be replaced. All of this with less than 1,000 miles easy miles on it so we decided to sell it and purchased a new Grizzly 700. Currently have 5,300+ miles on it and has never been to the dealer even once. Just have changed the oil and replaced the belt at about 3,000 miles (didn't break just being cautious).

So a little concerned about purchasing another Polaris. It seems like the reliability of Polaris has improved with time so I was hoping that with the improved reliability that this new General would be a solid ride. I'm willing to give Polaris another chance but just want to make sure that there aren't a lot of problems with this new model. That is why I am on here...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am the one that had the radiator issue. And I can say it had nothing to with the reliability of the bike. But there could be a fix for the bike, by installing a protector on the radiator.

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
348 Posts
And the doors being misaligned has to do with the people installing the doors at the dealership not caring about there work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am the one that had the radiator issue. And I can say it had nothing to with the reliability of the bike. But there could be a fix for the bike, by installing a protector on the radiator.
Aren't these designed for off road riding? If it put a hole in your radiator already then it is obviously a bad design correct? Bad design or a reliability issue are both issues I would like to avoid. Maybe yours was just a fluke but I guess time will tell. Did the dealer help you out with this and is there a protector available?

Looking forward to hearing more good, bad, or anything in between on these Generals as I would like to purchase a new bike within the next few weeks. Already sold my Grizzly and have my wives up for sale right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aren't these designed for off road riding? If it put a hole in your radiator already then it is obviously a bad design correct? Bad design or a reliability issue are both issues I would like to avoid. Maybe yours was just a fluke but I guess time will tell. Did the dealer help you out with this and is there a protector available?

Looking forward to hearing more good, bad, or anything in between on these Generals as I would like to purchase a new bike within the next few weeks. Already sold my Grizzly and have my wives up for sale right now.
Well depends on who you are when considering design. For consumers yes we may view it as a bad design because we need to purchase a guard or something, for Polaris maybe its a good design because people will need to purchase protective accessories from the factory... hmm

·
1,560 Posts
Got mine home today and no door problem. I can see how a rock could get into the fan so I'm taking care of that before I have a problem. Easy fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been researching side by sides for the last couple months as I'm looking to sell our quads and just get one side by side.

I have done the exact same thing. I sold my quads for a bigger down payment for a sxs. I liked the sxs but I sure did miss my quad so I ended up buying a good used quad. If I was to do it again I would of kept 1 of my quads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Think Polaris earned that poor reliability with the sportsman 700 when they tried to compete with Honda's Rincon. Polaris wanted to compete with Honda via price point which could have resulted in a product that's not as reliable. I'd think by now Polaris' reliability has improved and the General shouldn't break down as often as your sportsman.

·
Registered
348 Posts
first. as may know i knocked a hole in the radiator, because of lack of protection on the back side of the radiator. I let that one slide saying it was my fault. buy the way the factory did not warranty it.

second. at closer inspection wile installing the new radiator i started looking at the dash, and on the passenger side the top part is seperated from the glove box and is still that way. I let this one slid.

third. the plastic body pannels that say general on them will not stay latched and keep coming out at the bottom. i am very picky, so i let this one slid.

fourth. Friday i got off work and came home to drive it i started it up and the check engine light comes on. so i call the dealer, and he told me to bring it in and see what the code was so Saturday morning i show up and they tell me it was just a 5 min key code. where if you leave the key on with out it running for more then 5 miniuts it shuts the computer down. and it showed 2 all wheel drive codes. but they informed me it was just because it flashed one code it but it in to limp home mode. easy fix put it in revrse and four wheel drive and it goes away after verifying all is good. so i let it slide once again

fifth so i decided all was good once again and headed out to ride Sunday. i get there and every thing is good, I'm riding for about an hour and a half everything is a-ok. then i come across some big rocks, i slow down put it in to low range, shift it to all wheel drive and take off nothing to extreme, going nice and slow then i ease up to a bigger rock give it a little gas and the back tires spin i stop and confirm that i am i all wheel drive and i tried again same results back tires spin. and what do know the **** check engine light comes on and I'm high centered on a rock, if my day was not there in is ranger to pull me out i would be walking back to the truck.

so every wounded a ride review this is mine. i hope nobody has any trouble with theres. so I'm calling polaris Monday morning to see what there going to do. i wish i had never bought it in the first place.

i did not post this to bash on this side x side or make any body mad or put polaris down in any way, but i have had nothing but **** with this bike from day one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Precisely why I wouldn't purchase a Polaris if there are other options, which now a days there are. I chose a Pioneer 1000 Deluxe because of the reputation of the Honda brand and the ability to lock the differentials and unlock the rear and also not having to worry or maintain a belt driven transmission. And if I was in the market for a RZR, I would purchase a YXZ1000r for the Yamaha reputation and for the transmission. Polaris has definitely gotten better the last few years or so. But I think they have a little ways to go before they can compete reliability wise with some of the others. They never had any competition until recently so I'm sure they will get even better in the near future as they will have to up their game with Honda, Yamaha, and others finally entering the field. Competition is good and it will only help Polaris in the long run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Precisely why I wouldn't purchase a Polaris if there are other options, which now a days there are. I chose a Pioneer 1000 Deluxe because of the reputation of the Honda brand and the ability to lock the differentials and unlock the rear and also not having to worry or maintain a belt driven transmission. And if I was in the market for a RZR, I would purchase a YXZ1000r for the Yamaha reputation and for the transmission. Polaris has definitely gotten better the last few years or so. But I think they have a little ways to go before they can compete reliability wise with some of the others. They never had any competition until recently so I'm sure they will get even better in the near future as they will have to up their game with Honda, Yamaha, and others finally entering the field. Competition is good and it will only help Polaris in the long run.
Honda is also my other choice. Been with honda for over a decade with cars, lawnmowers, atv's and bikes, nothing to complain about. Solid products and at the shows they always generate a big crowd over others

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just an update on the issue. i called Polaris and they are going to take care of there problems with my bike but the lady i talked to said they would not be able to fix the plastics on it but they are working on a fix for the new bikes being sold.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Maybe when they figure out a fix for the new ones, they'll come up with a correction for yours. Glad they decided to stand behind their product this time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts