Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
after reading this, I am going to get some hard wood log (branch) to use until I can find a better solution.
And one of the few issues with using wood, down the hole as an ice anchor, is wood floats. I’m currently over 2ft of ice, so getting it down the hole will be tricky. Not impossible, but not as easy as a piece of steel or heavy aluminum. I see a galvanized pipe in my design.

· Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,316 Posts
And one of the few issues with using wood, down the hole as an ice anchor, is wood floats. I’m currently over 2ft of ice, so getting it down the hole will be tricky. Not impossible, but not as easy as a piece of steel or heavy aluminum. I see a galvanized pipe in my design.
I wouldn't use pipe. It's not designed for that kind of pressure and will tear easily... I'd find a chunk of cold rolled 1-1.5" shaft about 24" long. Dont use hot rolled, itll be cheaper, but not as strong. Most likely hot rolled will bend. Weld a nice triangular shaped flat bar on it (use 1/4" plate) and have yourself a nice piece for self recovery... probably cost $50 and it'll take 1 hr of time to make. That includes paiting....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
444 Posts
Ya, I'm not pulling a semi out of a ditch. We are talking a 2000lb sxs, with a 4500lb winch. At most, I may have 3100lbs when attached to my skid house pulling at an angle. The galvanized pipe used as dock legs is more than adequate and readily available as scrap in my region, as folks move away from steel docks/lifts to aluminum.

If I have something solid laying around, I may consider it, but I still have to cut it to length and drill a screw hole to keep the strap centered on it. I will be sure to test it before having to rely on it for sure. But I'm guessing it will be more than adequate being that most of our winching when stuck in a snow drift or in slush on the lake will be very little strain in comparison to it's "tearing limit". Many times it's literally a bump to get it moving to dry/solid snow for traction and we are good.

· Registered
444 Posts
I am betting there are so many members here that are giggling at how much time we put into thinking of ways to winch on the ice. As they probably don't get out on lakes often, if they have ice at all.

I would have to say, of all my riding, the chances of getting stuck on the lake are far greater than any other riding I do throughout the year. Once the snow/ice hit, I am in 4wd nearly 100% of the time day after day. Spinning and digging through ice/snow. (signs of needing tracks)

For anyone outside of Minnesota, I live within spitting distance of 1000 lakes in my county alone. And the cities that form on the water are right out of Grumpy Old Men. We even have a bar on the ice 2 miles from my home where they put a berm of snow around the bar to keep folks from parking their trucks to close together and weaken the ice! Minnow shots in fireball are common too.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts