Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 1000
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a receiver hitch for my General, year 2019. The one Polaris sells, for a 2" hitch ball mount, will not go far enough into the receiver to allow the pin to be inserted. There seems to be a small ridge, or bump, in the receiver box, that keeps it from going all the way in. Anyone have this problem, or a fix?
thanks.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Do you have access to a die grinder or know someone who does. That works slick and as @AZxp mentioned above a file will work also.
Easy fix if you have the right tools.
Good luck!

·
Registered
22 XP1000
1 Posts
Found the same problem when I picked my XP1000 up from the dealer in January. Loaded it on the trailer and went to put in a hitch with a clevis. Went in about halfway. Got the dealer back outside (cause it was like 3 degress) and he said it happens all the time when they are welded. He brought out a portapower with a duckbill spreader and fixed it right up.

·
Registered
Polaris General 1000 Mfg 2020
17 Posts
I need a receiver hitch for my General, year 2019. The one Polaris sells, for a 2" hitch ball mount, will not go far enough into the receiver to allow the pin to be inserted. There seems to be a small ridge, or bump, in the receiver box, that keeps it from going all the way in. Anyone have this problem, or a fix?
thanks.
I had the same problem with our Polaris.

A weld was allowed to penetrate too deep into the receiver housing. I tried using a mill file to remove the ridge caused by the weld, but gave up after a couple of hours of filing. So I had an old 2" hitch and hit it with a 4" grinder. I had to remove a considerable amount of material to allow it to go into the hitch. I then dedicated the modified hitch to the Polaris.

This is one of several poor manufacturing processes used by Polaris.

Below is a photo of my attempt to file out the weld with no luck.

The last photo shows the material I had to remove to be able to insert a spare tire carrier. I had to do the same grinding on the 2" trailer ball hitch.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
399 Posts
Same on my '22 and a friend's '22. I even took mine to the dealer, they said they sent it to a machine shop and that it was fixed....it is not.

I found a hitch that doesn't extend much past the pin hole. It works.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a 2020 and had the same issue and have read other threads with people having the issue as well. I started off trying to file off the inside of the receiver but it was going to slow so I just took an angle grinder and grinded off the side of my hitch till it went in like the picture BretC posted. After grinding it down I sprayed some paint on it. I have that hitch dedicated to the General.

Reactions: BretC
1 - 13 of 13 Posts