Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back Story: I replaced the front and mid prop shafts to the C series from SATV. I came across a very nice used rear series C shaft for $200 (shipped). So heck yea I jumped on it.

So, I dropped the skid plate, removed bolts to the carrier bearing (between the rear and mid shaft)and took out (cut) the old shaft that had some wobble to it.

I removed the old bearing and installed a new one from SATV.

Now how the heck do I get the shaft back in? I pushed it up past the mid shaft and am trying to get it onto the transmission. I pushed until my arms gave out. Is there a master spline that I am not seeing? (It was getting late)

And.... is there enough slack to push it onto the transmission spline and then slide it up onto the mid shaft? Or do I need to remove the roll pin and slide the front shaft up?

This is not as quick as I thought it would be. But is it ever?:unsure:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If I remember correctly you have to start at the rear and move forward.
So to do that now. Remove the front axles and the bolts holding the Hilliard front diff to the frame. Now roll the front diff clockwise, around the axle input, until you can slip the front driveshaft off the pinion shift.
Pull the front driveshaft out and set it aside.
Not familiar with the three shift units but...

Take down the forward carrier bearing.

Remove the center driveshaft.
Remove the rear carrier bearing.

Now, install the new rear driveshaft. Lubricate per the Service Manual.

Install the rear carrier bearing per the Service Manual.

Install the center driveshaft per the Service Manual. At this point, make sure the center and rear driveshafts are correctly aligned.

Now install the forward carrier bearing

Now install the forward driveshaft properly aligned to the center driveshaft.

Now use something to hold the forward end of the front driveshaft up. Then slowly rotate the front diff counter clockwise, as it does, slide the front driveshaft over the pinion shift and let the diff drop into place.

Check the driveshaft alignments, tighten all the bolts. And take it for a shake down ride!

Pirate.
Yes, it's nearly impossible to replace the rear section of the Driveline without doing as above, or pulling the motor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was able to install CCI front to rear shaft without moving the front axles. I did remove all bolts of the front diff and was able to **** it to the passenger side and forward enough to slip the front on and rotate the diff into if after slipping the rear on. Bolt diff up then the carrier bearing.
I know different part, and mine is a 2016 2 seater. But i would try before going further.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Mike, good for you!! I have one of the very first, if not the first set of CCI Driveline CV joint driveshaft sets for my 2016 General. My front section is just a tad long, but by rolling the front diff up the back of the radiator I was able to get the diff and shaft together. But that meant having to take the front axles out.
But aren't they and awesome set of driveshafts??
Pirate

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General 4
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I remember correctly you have to start at the rear and move forward.
So to do that now. Remove the front axles and the bolts holding the Hilliard front diff to the frame. Now roll the front diff clockwise, around the axle input, until you can slip the front driveshaft off the pinion shift.
Pull the front driveshaft out and set it aside.
Not familiar with the three shift units but...

Take down the forward carrier bearing.

Remove the center driveshaft.
Remove the rear carrier bearing.

Now, install the new rear driveshaft. Lubricate per the Service Manual.

Install the rear carrier bearing per the Service Manual.

Install the center driveshaft per the Service Manual. At this point, make sure the center and rear driveshafts are correctly aligned.

Now install the forward carrier bearing

Now install the forward driveshaft properly aligned to the center driveshaft.

Now use something to hold the forward end of the front driveshaft up. Then slowly rotate the front diff counter clockwise, as it does, slide the front driveshaft over the pinion shift and let the diff drop into place.

Check the driveshaft alignments, tighten all the bolts. And take it for a shake down ride!

Pirate.
Yes, it's nearly impossible to replace the rear section of the Driveline without doing as above, or pulling the motor.
I did replace the front and mid without removing axles. Or unbolting front diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts