Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,713 Posts
Okay...does your General have a U-joint somewhere in the driveline? I can't remember if they are all CV Joint now or not. If you do...that might be a source of noise.

Noise in these machines telegraphs like crazy. It might be the front brake pads. To quiet a RZR 800 springs were necessary front and rear.

Have you taken everything out of the bed and cab and tried that? I had a Blac-Rac for mounting a rifle. That was the source of noise one time. Very periodic though. Showed up at 4700 rpm and disappeared at 5200 rpm. Every time.

Have you added any accessories that bolt to the frame? Or clamp to the frame? Torque 'em tite. But sometimes the can vibrate and make noise.

Have you taken the CVT cover off. Cleaned it out, and take it for the around the yard ride? Did it get louder
Give the troubleshooting tips a try and let us know what you find.
Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General XP
11 Posts
I just picked up a 2020 XP with the same issue. Low speed grinding for a split second every revolution but off and on not all the time. Previous owned side dealer said it was normal.. To me a grinding noise is not normal. He said if he greased the Cv joint in front of the transmission the noise would go away for like 10 miles then come back. I also had a pile of crap between the skid plat and shaft that i already cleaned out. Have not had a chance to run it after the clean out. I did notice a bit of play in the prop shaft not sure what is normal.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,713 Posts
When you wrote "split second for every revolution", what do you mean by that. Every revolution of what?

How many miles does the machine have on it?
What kind of crap did you clean out? Any metal debris? Like coming out of the driveshaft yoke that slips over the transmission output shaft?

Just in "L" or in "H" range too?

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General XP
11 Posts
When you wrote "split second for every revolution", what do you mean by that. Every revolution of what? Of the wheel or drive shaft. Guess not knowing the gear ratio, how may rev's does the shaft turn to one turn of the wheel? I will have to look next time.

How many miles does the machine have on it? 2500
What kind of crap did you clean out? Any metal debris? Like coming out of the driveshaft yoke that slips over the transmission output shaft? Mostly packed mud and leaves no metal. The yoke that slips on the trans output shaft had play side to side and up and down. Not a lot but some.

I will also check rear brakes but the guy put new pads in recently and that didn't make a difference.

Just in "L" or in "H" range too? Low for sure didn't try H

Pirate
Answers in RED above..

·
Registered
2020 General XP
11 Posts
Update. The source of the grinding noise was the rear caliper mounting bracket pins and the caliper were getting worn and allowing the caliper to move and grind on the rotor. Polaris recommended replacing the whole assembly. No more rear end noise..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts