Polaris General Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Corporate is well aware of the turf mode failures. I'm not the first on here to get a 2019 transmission replacement. I would recommend to anyone with a 17 or 18 to delete turf mode if they don't need or use it. Otherwise, the new transmission comes in the XP with factory 30" tires. I'm guessing they're pretty confident in the new design. I was running 28" tires when mine failed, but since I have the new trans I went up to 30s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Id screen shot these conversations and show them to the dealer... it sounds like they are just trying to pull one over on you. They have replaced many failed tuff mode transmissions.. lots even out of warranty period out of " good faith "

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Lifted, just did some research for Ranger Man...and here's my thoughts...

Ranger Man,
Curious, I wonder what went first. Looking at the pics, it looks to me like the broken planetary gear went first. When that broken gear dropped out of the "Diff-Locking" it looks like it might have gotten into the the 53T gear. Breaking a few teeth on the gear, then the piece moved and got wedged between the 39T gear and the case... The case is by far the weakest piece and it failed, dramatically.
So what caused the planetary gear to fail? Something else loose in the transmission or poor metallurgy? The 53T and 39T gears look good, other that damage done when the Planetary gear
failed.
I use polarisparts123 as my "go to" for investigation. I'm going to guess that those that sell rebuilt transmissions purchase a complete differential, turf mode, and install it with the other upgrades and a new case.
My thoughts would be, speaking as a 35 year Mechanical Engineer working in power houses, that before you have your transmission rebuilt. You want those planetary gears inspected via NDE (Non-Destructive Examination) for tiny cracks, poor metallurgy and visual inspection. Shouldn't cost that much, but then you know you have good pieces going back together.

OR...better yet, do the Turf Mode delete. From what I can find in a Google Search, the spool piece bearing presses into the 39T gear and eliminates the planetary gears, the shift fork and the solenoid. All the troublesome pieces. My 2016 does not have Turf Mode, and I could care less. Yes, turning on pavement the rear tires chirp a bit due to the straight axle. So what??

So I'd have advise you that a rebuilt 2018, with the Turf Mode delete, the Reverse Chain upgrade, the bearing upgrade (not sure why that's necessary, but if they are good bearings like Timken, why not). Not sure about the Snorkel Gear replacement. If the backlash was set correctly, instructions in Service Manual. But if rebuilder has a solid reason...
Taking these steps should give you a good transmission with a long life span!

Just my thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally heard from the dealer today and the extended warranty people said they would cover everything and they will replace with the new model transmission. He said the bill was $4200. Should be done in 2 weeks. Guess there is a way to see what transmission they actually put in??

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If they put in the newer tranny it will need to have the newer axles put on the rear too if i remember correctly.
You can mark your old axles and tell that way if they replaced everything or not. Wouldn't think they would Dick one around on this if they said they would put in the new setup.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the info all, and to Pirate for researching this for me. I do not plan on rebuilding my transmission at all. Rev 6 sells remanufactured units with their upgrades. Now, they may be using other transmissions that have used internals but they inspect and warrant them. Also, it isn't a mystery why mine failed. I rode off of a 2' drop off and the second the back tires landed the sudden change in wheel speed snapped the gears. I guess Polaris should put a warning sticker on the steering wheel to never allow the tires to leave contact with the ground!

Can anyone recommend any other vendors who are offering upgraded transmissions? I'd like to be sure and consider all my options.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Did they give you the new updated version of the transmission and rear axles?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would ask the dealer, parts guy, or service manager. If they said they were going to put the new model in they should put the new model in.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts