Polaris General Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Avoid Turf Mode?

I've been following the Turf Mode horror stories. I have a question...if you don't run your machine in TM, wouldn't that solve any problems with blowing it out? Seems like a no-brainer, but then again, I'm new to this. It seems to me that if you avoid TM all together, you wouldn't be engaging the TM in the rear dif...am I wrong? Awaiting your replies, thanks in advance. Just for the record, I never run TM, one, because I don't really need it, and two, because of all the bad stuff I've seen here.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I really don't think it matters if you use turf mode or not. At least that is how i am understanding it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been following the Turf Mode horror stories. I have a question...if you don't run your machine in TM, wouldn't that solve any problems with blowing it out? Seems like a no-brainer, but then again, I'm new to this. It seems to me that if you avoid TM all together, you wouldn't be engaging the TM in the rear dif...am I wrong? Awaiting your replies, thanks in advance. Just for the record, I never run TM, one, because I don't really need it, and two, because of all the bad stuff I've seen here.

The power is still going through the gears no matter what mode you are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ed, it doesn't matter if you use it or not. When the plug to the solenoid gets wet it causes a short and makes it go in and out of turf mode. If this happens at the right time you get big problems. If you aren't going to use turf mode I would suggest disconnecting the plug and tape it closed. Then there will be no chance of it popping into turf mode.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ed, it doesn't matter if you use it or not. When the plug to the solenoid gets wet it causes a short and makes it go in and out of turf mode. If this happens at the right time you get big problems. If you aren't going to use turf mode I would suggest disconnecting the plug and tape it closed. Then there will be no chance of it popping into turf mode.

I wouldn’t give people false hope that disconnecting the plug will be a fix. It can and still will break with the plug disconnected, solenoid taken out or any other way unless you pull the actual transmission and replace the differential with a spool piece.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Bought my G4 in 17, drove it out of the garage and got an engine code. Turf mode, took it back to the dealer and they cleared the code, came home, disconnected it, shot the connector full of silicon, 33’d the crap out of it, then heat shrinked it.
No Mas Turf Mode!!!!!!
Relocated the relay away from the exhaust.

Two years later it’s all good

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just ordered my '19 G2 and hoping that fellow owners with the '19 diff are holding up ok with the turf mode issue. From what I've read here, the '19's haven't been having issues. Hoping that still holds true.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just ordered my '19 G2 and hoping that fellow owners with the '19 diff are holding up ok with the turf mode issue. From what I've read here, the '19's haven't been having issues. Hoping that still holds true.

The 19s have the same differential.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought my G4 in 17, drove it out of the garage and got an engine code. Turf mode, took it back to the dealer and they cleared the code, came home, disconnected it, shot the connector full of silicon, 33’d the crap out of it, then heat shrinked it.
No Mas Turf Mode!!!!!!
Relocated the relay away from the exhaust.

Two years later it’s all good

Cheers
Baja Charlie

You still have turf mode. You just disconnected the ability to activate it. It can still break.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reading this makes me glad that I bought the 5 year warranty last week.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmm, I'm confused then. Earlier in the thread, folks were saying the '19s have a different/new differential.

Well I should clarify they aren’t any better. The 19.5 rangers are getting a new diff that is hopefully the best. It also has gear driven reverse which is amazing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I should clarify they aren’t any better. The 19.5 rangers are getting a new diff that is hopefully the best. It also has gear driven reverse which is amazing.
Ah ok, thank you for clarifying. It is a shame to have to worry about something like this on a brand new machine. Crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe some more clarifying is needed here.
The '19's have the new turf mode which should be stronger. If not then Polaris has wasted a lot of time and money.
The '19's do not have the gear drive reverse.
When that is implemented with a stronger snorkel gear setup then that should be the best set up that includes turf mode.
The ultimate for strength would include the spool instead of turf mode since it would be almost impossible to make a turf mode as strong as the spool within the size limits of the present transmission case.
Hope I didn't leave anything out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh my god ! !

2017 G4 with less than 500 miles, was riding around the yard and up and down my dirt road, at one point I noticed I was only able to get the drivers side to trench.
Didn’t think much of it till I parked it in the garage,walked around back of it and noticed oil pissing all over the floor !!
No warranty.

Hope to **** my dealer is familiar with “good faith” warranties ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
New axles

The 2019 TransAxle, Polaris part# 1334132 will fit your unit.
This TransAxle has the new Rear Differential.
Due to the Differential being new, there is no feedback on them at this time.
Dealer told me today that the ‘19 transaxle requires new axles ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can say for sure that my ‘19 is currently running on Rhino 2.0 axles that according to SuperATV are for 16-18 model years.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts