Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on a recent riding trip to Wildcat last weekend all of a sudden in two wheel drive, which is what I always run while trail riding, I notice the passenger rear tire no longer is turning. Get to looking and the CV up by the diff is trashed. Luckily the office had a new axle and swapped it and thought I had it fixed. Not so. Thinking maybe it the turf mode relay I swapped it with another guys relay and still no fix. I look underneath and see oil on the skid plate and pull pieces of gear out. Not good. My machine only had 460 miles on it and is out of warranty. I've read that turf mode is bad news for these machines but how the **** does this happen? It's going to cost an arm and a leg to fix and whose to say it may not happen again!!! Does anyone know if I can put an rzr rear diff in it? One without turf mode?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I know what you are saying it just plain sucks and plus one has to pay out of the pocket to get it fixed!
Others have done some changing on this and hopefully they will chime in.
Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 2019 models have a redesigned and suppposedly stronger turf mode which should be interchangeable with yours. Only problem is the shifting fork has to be changed too and they are back ordered until sometime in January.
A spool from a RZR should also work.
Go to PolarisRangerClub and check with Toxic who is a Mod over there and he can tell you what will work and what won't and the part numbers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far guys. Just fyi if those of you didnt already know, the rear differential and tranny come as one unit at a price tag of $3199.00 not including tax or install. To me this is incredibly outrageous. How a machine that has less than 500 miles on it can have this happen is ridiculous. So over $4000.00 is what it will cost to have it replaced then what if it happens again. ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
That plains sucks. Have you called the Polaris customer service number? Certainly worth pleading your case in my opinion. :frown2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did it break both case halves or just one?
You can get by lots cheaper if you know someone that can rebuild it by just replacing the broken parts. The spool or the new turf mode differential is not that expensive, $300-$400, and one of those and the case halves might be all that is needed, plus a shifting fork if you put the new turf mode in.

Edit: I read on another thread that you have 31' tires. With those I would recommend you replace the broken parts and use a spool. Cheapest and strongest for what you are doing. Maybe upgrade the reverse chain too while you have it apart.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Destroying the tranny/diff is certainly never a good thing. But... maybe I'm missing something. How is this related to turf mode?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Destroying the tranny/diff is certainly never a good thing. But... maybe I'm missing something. How is this related to turf mode?
It happens frequently in the Ranger World to modified units mostly.
The Planetary Gears in the Rear Differential, will bust. They get wedged between the Cases and Differential, and when this happens you get a very large inspection hole in the rear of the TransAxle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nelat56,
Received your PM.
Since I do not have 15 posts here, it would not allow me to PM you.

I can help you.
PM me your Phone number, and we can talk if you like.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It happens frequently in the Ranger World to modified units mostly.
The Planetary Gears in the Rear Differential, will bust. They get wedged between the Cases and Differential, and when this happens you get a very large inspection hole in the rear of the TransAxle.
And how does that destroy a CV?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Polaris has designed a new Rear Differential that comes in the 2019 G’s.
From a Design/Engineering standpoint, this Differential should be better.

2016’s did not utilize and Open Differential, so they will never have this problem.
2017’s and 18’s have the Avalanche Rear Differential, so they are subject to the same failure that the OP has experienced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Irony here... Blew an inspection port in my 2018 G4 differential today!!! Supposed to be headed for Moab on Saturday for a week. Off to the dealer tomorrow AM to see if they can pull off a miracle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Irony here... Blew an inspection port in my 2018 G4 differential today!!! Supposed to be headed for Moab on Saturday for a week. Off to the dealer tomorrow AM to see if they can pull off a miracle.
The 2019 TransAxle, Polaris part# 1334132 will fit your unit.
This TransAxle has the new Rear Differential.
Due to the Differential being new, there is no feedback on them at this time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to my 2017 White Lightning General. I was 6 months past warranty expiration and was devastated. I took it to my dealer and they told me it would be around $4500 all in (or something like that). I posted a picture of the exploded diff on Facebook in the Polaris General Life group and a bunch of people told me to ask my dealer to press Polaris for a good faith warranty because this is a common issue. I called my dealer and asked about that and they said they'd call me back. A day later I get a call that the parts are covered but I'd have to pay for labor. I was happy about that but not thrilled to pay $85 an hour for something that is a known issue. Three weeks go by and my dealer calls telling me it's ready and to come pick it up. I asked for my total and they said $0. They also put a new carrier bearing and new prop shaft in it for free. I was amazed. Ask your dealer about a good faith warranty. Tell them you have read that this is a known issue and you're unhappy with having to pay for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, the final report was the turf mode gears blew through the case and caused this issue. It required a whole new tranny/diff unit. I was more than thrilled that they replaced it out of warranty with zero out of pocket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This happened to my 2017 White Lightning General. I was 6 months past warranty expiration and was devastated. I took it to my dealer and they told me it would be around $4500 all in (or something like that). I posted a picture of the exploded diff on Facebook in the Polaris General Life group and a bunch of people told me to ask my dealer to press Polaris for a good faith warranty because this is a common issue. I called my dealer and asked about that and they said they'd call me back. A day later I get a call that the parts are covered but I'd have to pay for labor. I was happy about that but not thrilled to pay $85 an hour for something that is a known issue. Three weeks go by and my dealer calls telling me it's ready and to come pick it up. I asked for my total and they said $0. They also put a new carrier bearing and new prop shaft in it for free. I was amazed. Ask your dealer about a good faith warranty. Tell them you have read that this is a known issue and you're unhappy with having to pay for it.
That is what I would recommend for the OP.
Take it to your Dealer, get them to contact Polaris and get a warranty claim ticket started.
Then contact Polaris customer service and complain about the issue, it is a known problem and they are aware.
With any luck you will receive a voucher.

Then get the TransAxle that I mentioned above.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also, the final report was the turf mode gears blew through the case and caused this issue. It required a whole new tranny/diff unit. I was more than thrilled that they replaced it out of warranty with zero out of pocket.
That is good to hear, but if you have not made any TransAxle modifications, you will be staring at this again in the future.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would just like to know how many generals are out there and how many have experienced this problem. If this failure is in the high percentile then enough complaints might get some results. When people do have these failures it would be nice to know a few things about the machine. Tires, lifts,other mods, type of riding etc. This is a failure that shouldn't happen under most circumstances so all of this information helps everybody in the future document a long existing problem. Might come in handy down the road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How do you know the 2019 assembly fits the 2018? I'm working with my dealer to airfreight this thing and want to be sure.

The 2019 TransAxle, Polaris part# 1334132 will fit your unit.
This TransAxle has the new Rear Differential.
Due to the Differential being new, there is no feedback on them at this time.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts