Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2005 ranger 500 4x4. The rear A arm bushings are gone. Ordered new ones. Went to replace the deteriorated bushing on the bearing carrier and the lower sleeve for the bolt wont come out. Tried hammer, air hammer and nothing. Any secrets? Been cutting away at the remainder of the bushing but WILL NOT BUDGE!

·
Registered
2019 rc
308 Posts
Seafoam deep creep, let it sit overnight then either using sleeve from other side or the correct diameter socket to tap it out. Maybe you've already tried this. Good reason to drill and tap carrier for grease zerk like I did on my 08 RZR!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seafoam deep creep, let it sit overnight then either using sleeve from other side or the correct diameter socket to tap it out. Maybe you've already tried this. Good reason to drill and tap carrier for grease zerk like I did on my 08 RZR!
Grease zerk is a great idea!

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
It's amazing what a little heat will do!! In this instance a heat gun on the low setting will probably get the job done in 5 minutes or so.
If you don't have a heat gun...get one! They're not that expensive. And while you're at it. Get a high range heat gun and a low range heat gun.
And while you're buying tools, an infrared temperature gun is very handy to tell how hot you're getting the work piece.

Just an add here, if you're going to replace a wheel bearing, a regular oxy acetylene torch is the way to go. I put the new bearing, in it's packaging in the freezer for a few hours. Then using mine and the infrared gun I get the nose of the bearing carrier up to about 480 degrees F. The bearing just drops in with a nice tinkle to let you know it's at the bottom of the bearing fit.

Pirate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's amazing what a little heat will do!! In this instance a heat gun on the low setting will probably get the job done in 5 minutes or so.
If you don't have a heat gun...get one! They're not that expensive. And while you're at it. Get a high range heat gun and a low range heat gun.
And while you're buying tools, an infrared temperature gun is very handy to tell how hot you're getting the work piece.

Just an add here, if you're going to replace a wheel bearing, a regular oxy acetylene torch is the way to go. I put the new bearing, in it's packaging in the freezer for a few hours. Then using mine and the infrared gun I get the nose of the bearing carrier up to about 480 degrees F. The bearing just drops in with a nice tinkle to let you know it's at the bottom of the bearing fit.

Pirate
Got a heat gun, will be giving that a try, currently have it sitting in a 5 ton press (Bottle jack under my 27' Searay) will see what happens, soaked it in seafoam as well. As a note, this isnt the bearing im replacing, its the lower bushing in the bearing carrier.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
If it doesn't move with a couple minutes of concentrated heat gun application...you're going to have to move to a torch. For this, I'd bet a good ol' propane torch will work fine.
Pirate

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about the hard plastic bushings that the A-arm bolt go through??
I take a sharp cold chisel and cut one side in half and pop it out then a flange bolt that will fit through the hole where you just took the bushing out of (bolt head going in first) and then a couple hits with a hammer and the other one pops right out….This method works for me and have done it several times ….Good luck…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts