Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
would like to get a set of beadlocks but will wait till time to replace stock tires unless I find a deal! and I think I'm going to either 15 or 16 inch with new set!

Reactions: Trapper and 2722

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like the look of the beadlock but I do not see how it would ad to performance I will be waiting tell I need tires.
Beadlocks help with performance in two situations that I can see. 1. Low tire pressure use such as rock crawling, where you are in danger of loosing a bead because of not enough pressure in the tire to keep it seated. 2. High speed use, such as racing, where the forces applied to the beads are great enough to unseat a bead even with normal air pressure in the tires.

I did number 2 on my last Rzr XP 1000, which was a Fox Edition model. I entered it in a local desert race with the stock 29" Bighorn tires and stock wheels on it, and 16 psi in the tires. I finished the race in third place, and after the race while loading the Rzr on the trailer I noticed that one front tire was almost flat. It turns out there was no damage to the tire at all. I recall that I had been hitting turns hard enough to bicycle the Rzr, and that front tire was the one that was digging into the sand and gravel on the outside of the sharpest turn. I had just "burped" the tire, by briefly unseating the bead enough to let air out, but not enough to completely loose the bead. I got lucky that time. By the next race I had moved up to a Turbo Rzr XP, and moved up to beadlock wheels for the new Rzr. I have had no more problems from burping a tire since changing to beadlocks.

I don't plan on using beadlocks on my General. I don't drive it hard enough to worry about losing a bead from cornering, and I don't do serious enough rock crawling to need to lower air pressure low enough to need beadlocks. And it is easier to have the tires worked on by a tire store when they are not on a beadlock wheel. Some tire stores won't work on beadlock wheels, and some that do will screw them up by putting a kid with an air wrench to work on your beadlocks, and stripping the beadlock bolts.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I agree with 3tv for those that don't ride hard , rock crawl ,or ride in sand , you would not really need them but I think the color matched ring looks great on certain wheels and machines its a preference thing. Have seen some very nice wheels either way and the deciding on a wheel will be hard when the time comes!! :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Got these rims from a Razr cleaning them up to have a send set of tires for the General:grin2:

the orange wheels are going to look sweet on the General I think what tires are you planning to get? another hard choice with all that's out there! don't forget a pic!

Reactions: Trapper and 2722

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
don't forget to post a pic when you get them on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts